Swingline
Swingline
  • Threads: 3
July 2nd, 2014 at 4:50:30 PM permalink
Does anyone know where I could find information regarding left handed dealers on blackjack? I have seen a dealer holding the deck in his right hand (with the discard rack also being on the right side of the layout) and pitching the cards with his left fingers. This seems like a big game protection issue and I would like to find credible information about this before something is said to this person. Thank you for any help.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 2nd, 2014 at 8:14:20 PM permalink
Quote: Swingline

Does anyone know where I could find information regarding left handed dealers on blackjack? I have seen a dealer holding the deck in his right hand (with the discard rack also being on the right side of the layout) and pitching the cards with his left fingers. This seems like a big game protection issue and I would like to find credible information about this before something is said to this person. Thank you for any help.

I am left handed and was trained as a BJ dealer 30+ years ago, by a professional instructor brought in from LV. I was not allowed to do anything differently in pitching the game from a right-handed dealer, just because of game protection issues. They were quite specific about finger placement, which hand did what, how to maneuver the cut card to shield the bottom, and exact handling procedures for shuffling, dealing, and sweeping the cards. There are very subtle differences between how the cards are held in a proper grip and those grips that enable dealing bottoms, seconds, and other stuff, and player sightlines and shuffler/discard bin positioning are also critical considerations in not exposing cards.

No idea if that's any help. I would guess there's a problem with that dealer. But just a guess, as I only dealt a year and am not up on current practices.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 2nd, 2014 at 8:38:33 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I am left handed and was trained as a BJ dealer 30+ years ago, by a professional instructor brought in from LV.

Wow Babs, I didn't know you were a BJ dealer. Ironically, I was a BJ dealer for three weeks and quit because they wouldn't give me the Saturday off I needed to take the Air Traffic Controller test.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 2nd, 2014 at 11:30:45 PM permalink
Nice that you want to arm yourself with information on handedness, but I assure you there is only ONE issue: Game Protection and that means Procedures. Surveillance, Floors, Pit Bosses... everyone watches for something out of the ordinary and no one should ever notice a left handed dealer and more than a right handed dealer. Even the free hand that is not being used, where it rests on the felt is dictated by the manual and whether the wrist is turned is dictated by the manual. That is it.

Which shoulder gets tapped is in the manual, which direction they approach the table from is in the manual.... and there is nothing in the manual about lefties or righties. Nothing.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
July 2nd, 2014 at 11:57:48 PM permalink
I'm sorry I can't help with this one. I am currently running a training school for dealers, but we deal all shoe/csm games, and train all dealers regarded of handedness the same way.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
  • Jump to: