LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
February 24th, 2014 at 8:35:54 PM permalink
I was watching an old Monty Python episode....and they had their usual reference to the BBC

nowadays you can get in trouble making reference to BBC

which made me think of how in a short time words/abbreviations have changed meaning

what about college and highschool football teams call "the cougars".....i guess the goal of the opposing team is to pound them into submission.....and as far as the other meaning....I guess the same goal exists

and in my field in the 70's there was a diet candy called 'ayds",,,,,,Close enough in the name to taken off shelves...talk about bad luck...imagine having a product that ends up being the name of a horrible disease. Imagine calling up the pharmacy and asking "do you have ayds"?
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
February 24th, 2014 at 11:24:47 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

what about college and highschool football teams call "the cougars".....i guess the goal of the opposing team is to pound them into submission.....and as far as the other meaning....I guess the same goal exists

LOL yes the cougars must be tamed.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 24th, 2014 at 11:49:21 PM permalink
What did BBC refer?
I remember the diet aid from back then and as a kid was confused by it.
I am a robot.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
February 25th, 2014 at 12:36:30 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

What did BBC refer?

"big black (thing that hangs between a mans legs and that makes him think, reason and understand) :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
February 25th, 2014 at 8:38:03 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

What did BBC refer?

well let me put it this way, if you hear your young daughter on the phone saying that she cant get enough of the BBC......ask her about Upstairs Downstairs.....if she doesnt have a clue......you can start to worry
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 25th, 2014 at 8:54:19 AM permalink
That's why kids text now LOL
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
February 25th, 2014 at 10:10:42 AM permalink
Quote: LarryS

which made me think of how in a short time words/abbreviations have changed meaning

This would be grist for DT.

Think how the use of the word gay has changed or the phrase "lord and master" or "better half". Consider Harry Belafonte's great hit Jamaica Farewell. Would it have been so popular if "where the nights are gay" had meant something else?

PC used to mean Police Constable before Personal Computer or Politically Correct and for some Professional Corporation.

Gat has gone out of style for sure. Likely has come to mean probable rather than likeable. Few use the word possibles any more, unless they sell a Possibles Bag for some outrageous price in a Western tack shop website.

The term "broad" is very much in disuse. "Ball and Chain" for marriage is not "PC".
The phrase "to serve" now usually means the exact opposite in the ghetto/cop-talk world.

On the promise is more English usage but its falling out of favor for more explicit phrases.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 25th, 2014 at 10:13:36 AM permalink
PC on a 1930's California license plate meant the car had pneumatic tires. Or so Mike once told me !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
February 25th, 2014 at 10:17:20 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

This would be grist for DT.

Think how the use of the word gay has changed or the phrase "lord and master" or "better half".

PC used to mean Police Constable before Personal Computer or Politically Correct and for some Professional Corporation.

Gat has gone out of style for sure. Likely has come to mean probable rather than likeable. Few use the word possibles any more, unless they sell a Possibles Bag for some outrageous price in a Western tack shop website.

The term "broad" is very much in disuse. "Ball and Chain" for marriage is not "PC".
The phrase "to serve" now usually means the exact opposite in the ghetto/cop-talk world.

On the promise is more English usage but its falling out of favor for more explicit phrases.

I would say up until the 2000's using the term "gay" was to say something was lame, or sucks. Now you can't say anything is gay, because it could offend people.

I'm falling out of touch with new phrases. I didn't even know what a "selfie" was until a couple of weeks ago when I saw a yearly wrap up show on TV. Same goes for the term "BFF".
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
  • Jump to: