Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 20th, 2014 at 5:48:04 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I, for one, am happy to see her go, no matter the reason. I think all the nonsense has cheapened this site and made it look foolish.

Quote: RonC

She was cute. She cheated our host. She is gone.

Who really cares?

Quote: Sabretom2

Enough.

Agree. Agree. Agree.

I think "embarrassing" is the best word I can use to describe what I feel and have been feeling, with maybe a touch of wonder at how women have not yet taken over the world. As JJ has shown, it really is that easy.

As I have so often lamented, we live in a world where Beiber's arrest is front page news the world over, while the Ukraine burns and isn't found until page nine, at best. Here, a random bird inspires tens of thousands of words of interest, while the Wiz compares the future of this site to the most atrocious and horrendous event in human history, one which made the Holocaust look like a bad weekend, and not a single person noticed.

Today's a new day. Make it better than the last.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
February 20th, 2014 at 8:45:56 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Face, can you help me with that phrase? I don't read all the threads or comments and they are vast so are you referring to Mao's eliminating the 60 million or what are you referencing that no one noticed? Are you referring to Stalin's 20-40 million?

Great Leap Forward Wikipedia entry.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
February 20th, 2014 at 9:07:24 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Great Leap Forward Wikipedia entry.

Thanks for the link. I jumped over so much of the JJ saga I was afraid I missed something like this that was actually interesting.
Face
Administrator
Face
February 20th, 2014 at 9:11:41 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Respectfully submitted,...

Hope that's not on my account. 1) you needn't qualify a post, as you're always respectful, and 2) I expect no different treatment just cuz my name's a funny color. In fact, I'd be bothered by it.

Quote: MathExtremist

the typical participant on an Internet forum devoted primarily to gambling is unlikely to want to discuss, or even think about, genocide. Still, I doubt very much that the Wizard intended the phrase to be used in precisely the same manner that Mao did.

This is true, which made it even more shocking to me that it didn't garner any attention.

Ah well. On with the show.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
February 20th, 2014 at 9:24:01 AM permalink
Face,

You uncovered a gap in my history knowledge; I had not heard that phrase before, but I was aware of the genocide of that period. Thanks for providing the link, Wizard.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Face
Administrator
Face
February 20th, 2014 at 9:58:52 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Face,

You uncovered a gap in my history knowledge; I had not heard that phrase before, but I was aware of the genocide of that period. Thanks for providing the link, Wizard.

The Great Leap Forward? Wiz posted it, not me. I was just referring to his post.

Fun fact - I had never even heard of the GLF nor was aware of it until a Pacomartin post here at WoV ;)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
February 20th, 2014 at 11:49:57 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Face,

You uncovered a gap in my history knowledge; I had not heard that phrase before, but I was aware of the genocide of that period.

You remember Mao, Hanoi Jane's personal hero.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 20th, 2014 at 5:06:43 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You remember Mao, Hanoi Jane's personal hero.

Never viewed Babarella the same afterwards, even if her mother did commit suicide in a mental hospital when Jane was 12.
Her old man, Henry Fonda, married a 21 year old within months. Here Jane, say Hi to your new mommy !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
February 20th, 2014 at 5:45:19 PM permalink
Quote: Face

The Great Leap Forward?

Fun fact - I had never even heard of the GLF nor was aware of it until a Pacomartin post here at WoV ;)

I remember that about 3 years ago too. Because of that post, I researched the GLF myself and read a book on it. Fascinating, but morbid stuff. Paco is one of our most informed and respected members here I think. How is he not a moderator by now?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 20th, 2014 at 6:47:09 PM permalink
Great leap forward is too generic for anyone to make a big deal about. Who would know and once you do, it doesn't make sense to let a guy from China control you decades later. I'm more likely to associate the phrase with walking on the moon anyways.
I am a robot.

• Jump to: