kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 17th, 2013 at 10:20:03 PM permalink
I had a great time participating in the Las Vegas Marathon today. It really is a fun event to participate in. You have your serious runners, of which I am not, your weekend runners, working towards their own personal goals, on down to people just having fun, as evident by about 100 Elvis's (or Elvi) participating, among other costumed participants. The folks lining then streets cheering and after party makes for a real good time, whatever your level.

I participated in the half marathon, which is 13 miles from Mandalay Bay to downtown and part way back, ending between Treasure Island and Mirage. My plan would have me finishing up, just about the time my two housemate were walking towards downtown. My older roommate and friend was planning on walking from Man Bay to downtown only which would be about 9 miles. He has some medical issues and mobility limitations, so this would be quite an accomplishment for him and my second housemate was accompanying him. I had my doubts if they would make it all the way downtown, but wanted to join them, if they were still going.

Things didn't really go as planned. Because of the staggered starts, I didn't get underway until after 5pm, rather than the 4:30 start I had planned. But I was making good time. I reached downtown, in just over an hour and turned back for the final leg to the finish line. Between Strat and SLS, I called to see were my friends were and they had already passing Mirage, where I intended to meet up with them. For me to to finish my last two miles would have put me too far behind to catch up and I would be in no condition to sprint after them, so I didn't finish my race, but instead met up with them and we all shared the last four miles of their walk downtown. Our group was near the back of the pack, with a clown on a unicycle and a guy dribbling two basketballs, which I have no idea was about. My older roommate was in some discomfort, but he really wanted to finish. I was really proud of him and we all had a good time.

My favorite part was meeting and talking to different people. There was one couple that had gotten married at then starting point of the race in front of Mandalay Bay. There were a number of people that were participating for someone in their family. I talked to not one, but two different people who had run a half marathon in San Antonio in the morning, jumped a plane to Vegas and ran a half marathon here. The second of the people told me there were over 60 people on his Southwest flight that had participated in San Antonio this morning and were participating in Vegas. I later learned the winner of the San Antonio full marathon, 26 miles, also participated in the Vegas full marathon, 26 miles. I heard he was in third place at the 20 mile mark, not sure of his finish, but all of the sudden our accomplishments seemed small. Lol.

Although things didn't work out as I had planned and I was unable to finish my race, I had a great time. I am already looking forward to next year. I urge anyone in town at the time to participate, even if just lining the streets and cheering and taking in the 'goofyness'. It's a good time.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
November 17th, 2013 at 10:49:10 PM permalink
Is this the Rock n Roll marathon?
My wife participated 2 years ago and she similarly loved the experience. We stayed afterwards at MB and listened to Brett Michaels perform. All in all a smashing time was had by all!

Glad you enjoyed it bro!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
November 18th, 2013 at 5:38:25 AM permalink
Thanks for the report!

In case anyone is wondering, I didn't do the run this year. I did it the previous three years. For me, the hassle and expense isn't worth it anymore. I considered watching around mile 20 of the full marathon course, but didn't get around to it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 18th, 2013 at 8:07:14 AM permalink
Update: the guy that won the San Antonio full marathon, Michael Wardian, and also ran the full marathon in Vegas finished 10th. Looks like he faded down the stretch in Vegas as his time was considerably worse than his morning run in SA. Still a damn amazing feat. I can't even imagine.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
November 18th, 2013 at 8:16:16 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Update: the guy that won the San Antonio full marathon, Michael Wardian, and also ran the full marathon in Vegas finished 10th. Looks like he faded down the stretch in Vegas as his time was considerably worse than his morning run in SA. Still a damn amazing feat. I can't even imagine.

My knees are crying just thinking about it.

Glad you had fun!
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
November 18th, 2013 at 10:53:17 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

lol @ 52 miles. I get pissed when I have to drive 52 miles. Its amazing what people can do.

@Wizard, what expenses are their for preparing for a marathon. I always figured it was a cheap sport to do.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 18th, 2013 at 11:12:55 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 18th, 2013 at 11:33:53 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

lol @ 52 miles. I get pissed when I have to drive 52 miles. Its amazing what people can do.

@Wizard, what expenses are their for preparing for a marathon. I always figured it was a cheap sport to do.

Ah, the lies they tell you about running. The shoes, the clothes, the drinks... running can add up as you get addicted to it. It doesn't have too... but it can, and probably will. Entry fees can go north of $100 for a race.

I think the Vegas half is $150 (I plan to do it next year).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 18th, 2013 at 12:11:47 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Preparing is basically free, except the cost of shoes. I was referring to the entry fee for the Vegas marathon, which is well over $100. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, but I've done the half three times and the full once, so am a little bored with it. Plus, I find it very objectionable that I have to make a separate trip the day before to pick up my number.
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
November 18th, 2013 at 12:20:40 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Preparing is basically free, except the cost of shoes. I was referring to the entry fee for the Vegas marathon, which is well over $100. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, but I've done the half three times and the full once, so am a little bored with it. Plus, I find it very objectionable that I have to make a separate trip the day before to pick up my number.

You should make your own race up. Call it the Wizard Annual. You start at Red Rock, run to Aliante, then down to South Point, and back. At each stop you fill out a 5 team parlay card. Winner is a combination of the fastest time and the most wins.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 18th, 2013 at 12:22:26 PM permalink
That would be great! Make it a combined bike/run and I'm in. WoO Annual!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 18th, 2013 at 1:28:53 PM permalink
Quote: Perdition

You should make your own race up. Call it the Wizard Annual. You start at Red Rock, run to Aliante, then down to South Point, and back. At each stop you fill out a 5 team parlay card. Winner is a combination of the fastest time and the most wins.

We should include the Four Queens too, since they have the liberal William Hill odds.

Quote: beachbumbabs

That would be great! Make it a combined bike/run and I'm in. WoO Annual!

There is always the Red Cap Challenge. So far the only active member to complete it is DorothyGale. The weather is perfect if anyone in town for Raving wants to give it a try.
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
November 18th, 2013 at 2:36:10 PM permalink
I agree the weather is perfect to get outside in the Red Rocks area. My wife and I were in Vegas last week and we did a Las Vegas Overlook hike. She proclaimed it "her favorite hike ever."

We may have to try the Red Cap on our next trip.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
November 18th, 2013 at 5:07:18 PM permalink
Could be similar to a poker run. You hand out one random poker card at a particular mile marker and the person who has the fastest time and the highest poker ranking hand wins.

A lot of fun and great for charitable events!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 18th, 2013 at 6:54:32 PM permalink
Quote: Perdition

Better idea: Red Rock, Aliante, M, Railroad Pass, then finish downtown.
  • Jump to: