kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 13th, 2013 at 8:55:05 PM permalink
If you bet sports you occasionally have some pretty incredible finishes, both for and against. It goes with the territory.

Tonights Ball State football game has to be my worst ever. I had 2 wagers. Ball State +8.5 and under 73.

So a minute 33 left and Ball State is down 34-27. They just used there last time out and Northern Illinois has a first down. This means they game should be over. Northern Illinois should take a knee a couple times and run the clock out. It's not even a close call. This is what 999 out of a 1000 coaches would do. But...NO. Northern Illinois runs a play and scores a touchdown. OK, I am pretty annoyed, but as I said, this stuff happens. At least I will win the under bet. But...NO again. After the kickoff, Ball state throws an interception for a touchdown. Now understand, again, 999 times out of a 1000 times, the intercepting player will just fall to the ground. Game over! So, 14 points scored AFTER the winning team should have been taking a knee. And I lose both bets. Ouch! (Thanx for allowing me to vent)

Ironically last week, I also lost a tough one on Ball state. Laying 20.5, which is something I rarely do. Ball state kicks a field goal to go up 27 with a minute left. You don't have to by a 'wizard' to know what was coming. Lol. I don't know why I even bothered to watch the other team drive the field and score a meaningless TD. I lose by .5 point, in backdoor cover.

I think it will be a while before I wager on Ball State again.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 13th, 2013 at 9:00:14 PM permalink
I think I enjoyed that more than some of your Blackjack posts.

Sorry about the doubly bad beat on Ball State, though!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 14th, 2013 at 8:01:31 AM permalink
Mission, I am so pleased, I was able to provide you with some enjoyment. Lol. NOT.

This loss and the way it occurred, really has taken the fight out of me. Sports betting is negative EV for me and for enjoyment purposes and feeling this miserable over a loss of a few hundred defeats the purpose. I am fortunate enough to be ahead about $5800 for the year, because of strong college basketball results last spring and think I will call it a year as far as sportsbetting. I am heading on the road for 15 days next week for my final BJ trip of the year, so this seems like a good time anyway.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 14th, 2013 at 9:22:39 AM permalink
As another negative EV sports bettor, the result was good for me. I had the Huskies and expected to lose. Sorry for your pain.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
November 14th, 2013 at 9:46:22 AM permalink
I was watching the game and as soon as I saw the pick six I kinda laughed and said that just pissed a lot of people off..
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 15th, 2013 at 6:15:57 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Mission, I am so pleased, I was able to provide you with some enjoyment. Lol. NOT.

This loss and the way it occurred, really has taken the fight out of me. Sports betting is negative EV for me and for enjoyment purposes and feeling this miserable over a loss of a few hundred defeats the purpose. I am fortunate enough to be ahead about $5800 for the year, because of strong college basketball results last spring and think I will call it a year as far as sportsbetting. I am heading on the road for 15 days next week for my final BJ trip of the year, so this seems like a good time anyway.

They say, "Quitters never win, and winners never quit," but quitters don't lose, either, so could be the best thing to do in a negative EV game.

Except me, playing with that sort of money, I'd probably either bet it down to $5,500 or up to some multiple of $500, I'm strange like that.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
  • Jump to: