vetsen
vetsen
  • Threads: 3
October 30th, 2013 at 4:17:07 PM permalink
From USA Today: Police Addicted to Drug Money

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/10/24/police-drug-money-policing-for-profits-column/3182955/
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 30th, 2013 at 4:24:36 PM permalink
Quote: vetsen

From USA Today: Police Addicted to Drug Money

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/10/24/police-drug-money-policing-for-profits-column/3182955/

Speeding in a car with a million in cash and wonder
why the cops are suspicious. Morons.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 30th, 2013 at 4:27:30 PM permalink
I did not want to start a thread, but USA today is now $2. The several places I used to buy it, now have a big sign stating $2.
They got tired of people bringing it to the register, then putting it back on the rack. Talk about sticker shock.

Yes I am old enough to remember when papers were a nickel, had 5 , 10, and 12 star editions, newsboys at busy intersections, etc.

Bought USA at $1.00, and understood when it went to $1.25, but now $2.00 in today digital age to get yesterday's news ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 30th, 2013 at 4:38:48 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I did not want to start a thread, but USA today is now $2. The several places I used to buy it, now have a big sign stating $2.
They got tired of people bringing it to the register, then putting it back on the rack. Talk about sticker shock.

Probably should go in the remember when thread, but I remember when USA Today was the big new thing. A national newspaper.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
October 30th, 2013 at 5:09:10 PM permalink
Reminds me of when treetopbuddy was raped at mile marker 164.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
October 30th, 2013 at 5:15:50 PM permalink
Related article on the use and abuse of civil asset forfeiture.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
October 30th, 2013 at 5:47:30 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Bought USA at $1.00, and understood when it went to $1.25, but now $2.00 in today digital age to get yesterday's news ?

It is insane for what was once called McNews. A quick inflation check shows the $0.25 it cost in 1983 would be about $.59 today. Even if you assume that was an intro price since it went to $0.50 fairly soon after and it is still way out of hand. Worst yet is when you take into account how many copies are given out for free.

USA Today never was real news. It was a light snack you read to kill time waiting for what you really had to do. Sports was always good with loads of stats, but no wonder the newspaper industry is dead.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
JackStraw8004
JackStraw8004
  • Threads: 12
October 31st, 2013 at 12:46:08 AM permalink
May I recommend the Pressreader App. I use it on my iPad. For $29.95 per month you get almost every newspaper in the US including USA Today in the newspaper format. The actual paper with all the ads and photos just like you bought it on the newsstand. The papers arrive early. I can download between 5-6am everyday. You can read them offline after they are downloaded. Currently I download 5 newspapers a day. The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia Daily News, New York Post, New York Daily News and USA Today. I can get every newspaper from every major city around the world. Sadly, The New York Times doesn't participate. They use the same model for their own paper and don't want to share the profits with Pressreader. I spend less money than what it costs to buy USA Today on the stand and get all the other papers for nothing. This is the future. There will no longer be newspapers sold on stands, gift shops or boxes. The iPad mini is so small that you can put it in your pocket. Naturally you can also use the iPhone or other phones but the screen is a little too small to read a newspaper. Your scrolling back and forth. I use the full size iPad. The newspapers are easy to read. This is not spam. I love this app. It doesn't cost anything to download the app and check it out. I haven't bought an actual newspaper in almost 2 years.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 31st, 2013 at 7:10:12 AM permalink
Police enforcement of laws has always been skewed to what profited the department most.

Quality journalism in this country is sorely lacking there is instead a regurgitation of police press releases.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 31st, 2013 at 7:14:20 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Police enforcement of laws has always been skewed to what profited the department most.

Quality journalism in this country is sorely lacking there is instead a regurgitation of police press releases.

Quality journalism has precipitously declined due to the death, merger, and McNuggeting of news organizations into 30 second sound bites and news with hidden agendae. It is a social tragedy that has yet to display its full magnitude.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
October 31st, 2013 at 3:34:04 PM permalink
Newspaper website=blog

Just a travesty. The only reason for buying/subscribing to a newspaper?... the Obits and Legals.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
October 31st, 2013 at 3:39:00 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

Newspaper website=blog

Just a travesty. The only reason for buying/subscribing to a newspaper?... the Obits and Legals.

A few years back the main paper here had an editorial on how the county petals should be kept in the paper as well as online because some people didnt have Internet access. Seriously, were they expecting me to take hem seriously?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: