ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 6465
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
June 30th, 2013 at 9:42:24 AM permalink
I came across a block of four 8/5 JoB progressive (although not much to speak of - the jackpot was only something like $1040) 25c VP machines at the Rio one evening; three of them were taken, and when I got near the empty one, the woman next to it informed me, "My husband is playing this machine." Is "reserving a machine" like this "acceptable" policy? How long can a machine be "saved" like this?

(BTW, I didn't press it, and eventually I found some non-progressive 8/5 25c in another part of the casino.)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14163
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
June 30th, 2013 at 9:51:01 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

I came across a block of four 8/5 JoB progressive (although not much to speak of - the jackpot was only something like $1040) 25c VP machines at the Rio one evening; three of them were taken, and when I got near the empty one, the woman next to it informed me, "My husband is playing this machine." Is "reserving a machine" like this "acceptable" policy? How long can a machine be "saved" like this?

(BTW, I didn't press it, and eventually I found some non-progressive 8/5 25c in another part of the casino.)



As long as the person who asks cares to allow it I would guess. if you are a polite person you may just move on, if you want to press it you can just say, "I don't see any credits loaded" and sit down. In the middle you could ask how long he was going to be.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 770
Joined: May 1, 2012
June 30th, 2013 at 10:25:26 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Is "reserving a machine" like this "acceptable" policy? How long can a machine be "saved" like this?



I'm not sure how it works for slots but in some table games, like blackjack for example, there is a certain etiquette that when not followed really pisses some folks off. You can do pretty much whatever you want, but in some instances you'd be running afoul of the social code.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 2107
Joined: Jan 15, 2010
June 30th, 2013 at 10:45:32 AM permalink
I just wanted to say that something I've been seeing lately, when you don't have someone there to say something, is to take your chair and tilt it so that its front edge is leaning against the machine... kind of with the back support hunched over said machine. I've seen this at both MLive & Atlantic City.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 5339
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
June 30th, 2013 at 11:07:16 AM permalink
Just put a twenty in the machine to save it . Problem solved.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 770
Joined: May 1, 2012
June 30th, 2013 at 11:17:57 AM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I just wanted to say that something I've been seeing lately, when you don't have someone there to say something, is to take your chair and tilt it so that its front edge is leaning against the machine... kind of with the back support hunched over said machine. I've seen this at both MLive & Atlantic City.



That's a common practice, but it doesn't help the OP.

When he finds the chair tilted should he move on, or untilt it and sit? That's the quandary.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
June 30th, 2013 at 11:26:29 AM permalink
My husband is playing this machine he will be right back in a moment ... can mean I don't like anyone sitting next to me or it can mean that her husband is indeed gone for just a few moments. Often you can just say, okay... let me know when he arrives... and start playing the machine. Chances are you will get bored with that machine well before any hubby ever shows up. Chances are that if her husband is really in the casino... he is off somewhere else happily playing away from his wife for awhile.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
June 30th, 2013 at 1:40:30 PM permalink
It's unfortunate, there is really not much you can do. If you complain, they'll most likely just continue the same holding game by placing a token amount of money in it. If you put money in against their wishes, you have to sit there and it can get quite uncomfortable and possibly dangerous. I have been quite aggressive telling them off and have had them give up "their machines" before, but I don't normally want the confrontation and avoid it.
I am a robot.
silicone
silicone
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 43
Joined: Jun 21, 2013
June 30th, 2013 at 1:58:59 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

As long as the person who asks cares to allow it I would guess. if you are a polite person you may just move on, if you want to press it you can just say, "I don't see any credits loaded" and sit down. In the middle you could ask how long he was going to be.



Yes, I always look to see if there is credits loaded. If not then it is fair game and I have a seat.
Just Me.......
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6281
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
June 30th, 2013 at 3:37:49 PM permalink
I almost always pass on this unless there are absolutely no units left that I want to play. People can't take their machines to the bathroom for instance. If there is any sort of an alternative, I feel like you're a jerk if you would insist on the machine.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 4477
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
June 30th, 2013 at 8:46:02 PM permalink
Fortunately I've never had this problem. Most casinos put enough machines to not have a situation like this, but if it does, I'll honor the person's request. If I do a round and come back and it's still empty I might jump on and say hey they aren't coming back.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
YesThereReal
YesThereReal
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 53
Joined: Jun 30, 2013
June 30th, 2013 at 8:52:37 PM permalink
wen you find a slot machine is taken your supose to leave it alone. THis is good manners.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 770
Joined: May 1, 2012
June 30th, 2013 at 11:39:14 PM permalink
Quote: YesThereReal

wen you find a slot machine is taken your supose to leave it alone. THis is good manners.



Good manners? LOL. I'm not sure that makes the top ten list for most posters here.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
July 1st, 2013 at 6:08:29 AM permalink
My biggest pet peeve is when SAPs get reserved and reserved indefinitely. Eventually they may be turned back on, but I have seen them turned off for 10 hours. It was definitely a solid point to quit going to that casino. The only thing it costs the casino is the trust of every other person who wants to play that progressive and can't and the casino gets small brownie points from one player.
I am a robot.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
  • Posts: 16832
Joined: May 15, 2012
July 1st, 2013 at 7:46:45 AM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I just wanted to say that something I've been seeing lately, when you don't have someone there to say something, is to take your chair and tilt it so that its front edge is leaning against the machine... kind of with the back support hunched over said machine. I've seen this at both MLive & Atlantic City.



This is where the big boys could take a lesson from the WV parlors with a limit of FIVE machines!!!

There's a little rope with a laminated cardboard sign that says, "Machine in use," and you just put that over the screen if you have to go to the bathroom, or something.

I don't scout for advantage slots anymore, or really go the casino much at all, but if I did see a Quick Hits machine at an advantage with the chair tilt, I would respect that for about ten minutes, or indefinitely if there were credits on the machine. If someone wants to hold the machine while they use the restroom or get a beverage, fine, if they think they are going to reserve it while they hit the buffet, that's not happening if I am around.

Were I to not find anything else at +ER, I'd return in ten minutes, and if the situation were the same, the machine is mine.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Maverick17
Maverick17
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 323
Joined: Mar 4, 2011
July 1st, 2013 at 6:07:50 PM permalink
I don't have a story directly related to the OP, actually quite the opposite.

I tend to gamble with degenerates, which means I typically am waiting for them to finish losing their 3rd try off the credit card while I wait.

I sit at a slot that is either near where they are playing table games, or near a main walkway to scout the female talent.

While sitting at a slot, with millions of empty slots all around me, I get asked to move at least every third time.

They seem to feel that making me move will give them "luck," probably because they did it back in 1979 and won thirty bucks.

I will say "No, I'm playing this machine", and if they do not leave, throw a buck in the machine and not play it.

Have had the old ladies call the slot attendant on me more than once, and I am currently undefeated in my quest stay lazy.

At Rivers a few years back, I actually sent out a few $3 max bets on $1 WoF, and made $400 off my initial $20 investment. Man did that old lady get pissed because that was "her win" that I "stole" from her.

Win $400 on a slot - $380 net

Piss off an old lady who was attempting to piss me off -$free

Piss off an old lady who was attempting to piss me off while she is wearing a Steelers t-shirt - Priceless!
Statistics don't lie, they deceive.
  • Jump to: