kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 179
  • Posts: 3278
April 21st, 2013 at 9:25:19 AM permalink
I am troubled by the news coverage of the Boston events this week. 3 people killed in the initial event, with a fourth later in the week. The top story of my local nightly news usually involves a shooting involving these numbers. :( Now yes, in addition to 3 innocent people killed, there were many injured and some horrifically. I am not saying this blast wasn't news worthy, just wondering if it was deemed disproportionately so. I mean a day or two later there was an explosion in Texas that killed 14 and injured over 100. The amount of coverage this tragic event received was dwarfed compared to Boston.

Now some will say the difference is one event was an accident, why the other a terror criminal event. And this is just my point. By sensationalizing this weeks events and turning them into such a mega news story, don't we play right into the hands of terrorists, any terrorists, by providing them the platform and attention they are after?

And finally, in an semi-related thought on the event, I would just as leave this second younger terrorist, die from his injuries. Hopefully, he still will. I would have prefered that police just continued firing rounds of bullets into that boat long past any movement and be done with it. Yes, I know the autorities think there is valuable information to be gained from questioning him. I think it just provides him more of a platform, as any sort of trial will also do. Again, I would welcome the news that he has died from his injuries.
Just say no to 6:5 Blackjack, Continuous shuffle machines and Blackjack the Forum. All are Negative expected value.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
Joined: Mar 3, 2013
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 718
April 21st, 2013 at 9:40:37 AM permalink
It would be much more fun to be talking about the trial of the boat owner who blew the SOBs head off for tresspassing.
steeldco
steeldco
Joined: Nov 30, 2011
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 4914
April 21st, 2013 at 10:35:08 AM permalink
I'm not necessarily troubled by the coverage. I do happen to believe that the media provides a terrible disservice. They need to fill as much time as possible with events because it provides them with inexpensive content. An event with many possible angles to cover gets the coverage. If hyping an event will create more time killing content then the media does it. I think that weather forecasts are a prime example. They give you all of the little minutiae.....all the while being wrong most of the time. Is weather really worth as much time as is devoted to it? Maybe I'm just nuts, but definitely not for me. I'd rather that they just took 10 seconds to tell me, with one simple screenshot, their best guess as to what will happen for the week and leave it at that. Take the time saved and actually try to be informative.

Sports media is no better. They seem to always be after someone's job, yet when one of the authors, or broadcasters makes many bad calls they seem to think it's okay. If a football coach should lose his job for bad calls then so should the media...........

Sorry for the rant...........
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
steeldco
steeldco
Joined: Nov 30, 2011
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 4914
April 21st, 2013 at 10:37:05 AM permalink
Or here's a novel idea.....how about more coverage of the good things in life? The good people? The good events?
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
Ahigh
Ahigh
Joined: May 19, 2010
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 5049
April 21st, 2013 at 11:20:23 AM permalink
Quote: steeldco

Or here's a novel idea.....how about more coverage of the good things in life? The good people? The good events?



Capitalism is the root cause. The media is a profit driven machine. More eyeballs means more profits.

The spectacular explosions alone caused the eyeballs to get glued to the images.

Once the eyeballs are glued to the screen, there is a pretense of ensuring safety of the average American.

But more than the safety, the average person who is getting involved in the massive media event of this explosion isn't thinking about making the lives of other Americans safer. It's merely a pretense for efforts that are, on average, fully self-serving.

I am certain that celebrities of this event will write books, be interviewed on talk shows, be given things to advertise things that are for sale, and so on.

The fact that the collective consciousness of the country can agree that we are doing "good" by creating a culture of fear of people and cultures and laws and get our lawmakers all busy attempting to prevent the unpreventable is a great travesty of illusions of falsehoods we only wish to be true.

Quote: Steve Maraboli


“Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don't."



We have no control to prevent these things from happening. It could have just as easily have been individuals who were born and raised in the US by Ward and June Cleaver plotting the evil deeds in privacy in a treehouse where the two brothers plotted their devious plans for years.

If the plans were well concealed, nothing that happens in Washington DC is going to do anything to prevent this type of thing from occurring anymore.

They would have just as much efficacy in making it against the law for tsunami's or hurricanes to occur and hold trials sentencing God himself to life in prison.

At some point, the whole idea is ridiculous wishing for so much control over that which is not possible to control.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 210
  • Posts: 8014
April 21st, 2013 at 11:52:07 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I am troubled by the news coverage of the Boston events this week. 3 people killed in the initial event, with a fourth later in the week. The top story of my local nightly news usually involves a shooting involving these numbers. :( Now yes, in addition to 3 innocent people killed, there were many injured and some horrifically. I am not saying this blast wasn't news worthy, just wondering if it was deemed disproportionately so. I mean a day or two later there was an explosion in Texas that killed 14 and injured over 100. The amount of coverage this tragic event received was dwarfed compared to Boston.

Now some will say the difference is one event was an accident, why the other a terror criminal event. And this is just my point. By sensationalizing this weeks events and turning them into such a mega news story, don't we play right into the hands of terrorists, any terrorists, by providing them the platform and attention they are after?

And finally, in an semi-related thought on the event, I would just as leave this second younger terrorist, die from his injuries. Hopefully, he still will. I would have prefered that police just continued firing rounds of bullets into that boat long past any movement and be done with it. Yes, I know the autorities think there is valuable information to be gained from questioning him. I think it just provides him more of a platform, as any sort of trial will also do. Again, I would welcome the news that he has died from his injuries.



Boston got more coverage because it was terror and not an accident like Texas was. Boston just held attention longer by the nature of the story.

Boston had a manhunt, investigation, and media wishing it was the Tea Party that did it. Texas was just an industrial accident albeit a bad one.

Some stories get legs and some less so. It isn't the number of deaths but the reaction to them.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
April 21st, 2013 at 1:51:15 PM permalink
Oh man, don't get me started on the media...haha. They clearly have their own agenda on this and just about every other topic.


Quote: AZDuffman

Boston had a manhunt, investigation, and media wishing it was the Tea Party that did it. Texas was just an industrial accident albeit a bad one.


You got that right, AZ. Like after Aurora, ABC's Brian Ross was just itching to connect the shootings to the Tea Party. OTOH, I have yet to hear Ross mention that Russia warned us about Tamerlan Tsarnaev two years ago.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
April 21st, 2013 at 2:36:28 PM permalink
And thus ends the news cycle: news, reporting, arguments, complaints about coverage, partisan fight about the media. Until something else happens.
You can visit my blog Kathy's Cooking Corner at kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx ... .... When someone offers you friendship with one hand and stabs you in the back with the other, you tend to notice the knife a little bit more.
steeldco
steeldco
Joined: Nov 30, 2011
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 4914
April 21st, 2013 at 3:35:01 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

Capitalism is the root cause.



No. Sorry. I have to disagree. The root cause is people's inability to recognize crap....and then turn it off.

Also, I need to suggest that maybe having an outlet that presents the news with just the facts and then limits its opinion or comments to be no more
than the word count of the facts presented might do well. Also, giving the news staff as much time as they like to expound on feel good stories. Some outlet....any outlet that truly provides balanced reporting with a leaning towards the positive.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
April 21st, 2013 at 3:45:21 PM permalink
steeldco, I totally agree. The problem is that the media claims that they do this already, so the problem will unfortunately never be addressed.
Fighting BS one post at a time!

  • Jump to: