RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
April 5th, 2014 at 11:14:28 AM permalink
There is some basis for the argument that an Election Day, and not an election period, was established by law:

"The Tuesday after the first Monday in November was initially established in 1845 (US Code Title 3, Chapter 1) for the appointment of Presidential electors in every fourth year. US Code Title 2, Chapter 1, Section 7 established this date for electing U.S. Representatives in every even numbered year in 1875. Finally, US Code Title 2, Chapter 1 established this date as the time for electing U.S. Senators in 1914."

http://www.calendar-updates.com/info/holidays/us/election.aspx

"The electors of President and Vice President shall be appointed, in each State, on the Tuesday next after the first Monday in November, in every fourth year succeeding every election of a President and Vice President."

3 U.S. Code § 1 - Time of appointing electors

"The Tuesday next after the 1st Monday in November, in every even numbered year, is established as the day for the election, in each of the States and Territories of the United States, of Representatives and Delegates to the Congress commencing on the 3d day of January next thereafter."

2 U.S. Code § 7 - Time of election
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 88
April 5th, 2014 at 1:59:08 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

It is not as if they are in the Senate voting on a major bill. Will the results change if they don't make it to vote? No. Will their life change if they can't make it? No. Sorry, but that is reality.

Wow, how soon we forget. All votes are important.
One recent Presidential election was decided by a mere 537 votes here in Florida.

I used to live in MD. Voting sucked. Had to get up an hour early to vote because did not want to deal with the long after work lines.
In Md, I almost feel like the system is discouraging me to vote.
Here in Florida, we have early voting, I have the weekend off, I get up when I want to, leisurely breakfast, check out the news and WOV forum on the internet, get dressed, take a nice bike ride and vote. This is how I voted in 2008.
Here in Florida, I feel the system encourages me to vote.

I love early voting in Florida. Its convenient and easy. I feel sorry for voters that have to make the decision get up early or wait in long lines after work.
These elections are too important to be decided on a system that discourages voting.
I like a system that encourages me to vote rather then discourage.
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
April 5th, 2014 at 2:22:43 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Wow, how soon we forget. All votes are important.
One recent Presidential election was decided by a mere 537 votes here in Florida.

Sorry, a clean election is more important to me than people who cannot be bothered to lose half an hours sleep or miss a rerun of "Seinfeld."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
April 5th, 2014 at 2:36:24 PM permalink

Sorry, a clean election is more important to me than people who cannot be bothered to lose half an hours sleep or miss a rerun of "Seinfeld."

Again it is not just half an hour as has been repeatedly shown there have been wait times in the 4+ hours. So normal voting time easily precludes some people if they have a job.

Also your voter laws would be shown to preclude people who are legally entitled to vote and yet will now not be able to because of rules which are trying to stop a problem that has not been shown to have any effect on any election.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 5th, 2014 at 2:51:14 PM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

Again it is not just half an hour as has been repeatedly shown there have been wait times in the 4+ hours. So normal voting time easily precludes some people if they have a job.

There are not regular 4 hours waits. A few spotty precincts can be fixed without changing the law to weaken security in the entire state.

Quote:

Also your voter laws would be shown to preclude people who are legally entitled to vote and yet will now not be able to because of rules which are trying to stop a problem that has not been shown to have any effect on any election.

How would that be? Everyone has or can get ID, nothing has proven otherwise. And everyone should be able to vote before or after work else get an absentee ballot if they have a job where they are out of town.
Twirdman
Twirdman
April 5th, 2014 at 3:04:00 PM permalink

There are not regular 4 hours waits. A few spotty precincts can be fixed without changing the law to weaken security in the entire state.

How would that be? Everyone has or can get ID, nothing has proven otherwise. And everyone should be able to vote before or after work else get an absentee ballot if they have a job where they are out of town.

Actually there are plenty of people who would have difficulty getting an ID card. For instance many old people do not have ready access to a birth certificate same with some people who were born in other countries.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
April 5th, 2014 at 3:10:23 PM permalink

Actually there are plenty of people who would have difficulty getting an ID card. For instance many old people do not have ready access to a birth certificate same with some people who were born in other countries.

How are those people processed for Social Security, both pre- and post-retirement programs; food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, welfare, Section 8 and so on?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 5th, 2014 at 3:11:19 PM permalink

If they drive they have ID, if they worked they have ID, there is no way they made it through life without ID.

Those born in other countries have a naturalization certificate, which is just as good as a birth certificate, for getting ID.

Everyone has or can get ID.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
April 5th, 2014 at 3:11:43 PM permalink

People who were born in other countries and are here without ID should vote? Twirdman slipped up and let his real agenda out --LET ILLEGALS VOTE!
Twirdman
Twirdman
April 5th, 2014 at 3:22:39 PM permalink

If they drive they have ID, if they worked they have ID, there is no way they made it through life without ID.

Those born in other countries have a naturalization certificate, which is just as good as a birth certificate, for getting ID.

Everyone has or can get ID.

And then they stopped driving and stop working hence their ID expired. Or they moved for a new job and never bothered to get a license since it is a hassle. Especially in some states like Florida where presenting your old ID is not sufficient to get a new ID. So I came from California and have no ID here from the state. I could get one since I did have my birth certificate and an expired passport but haven't bothered since my California ID will be valid for another 2 years and I don't do any kind of driving anyway. But say I didn't have my original birth certificate I would have to request it from Washington state since that is where I was born.

Umm not everyone born in another country wasn't a US citizen. For instance my brother. So all he has is a certificate of life birth which is not enough to get an ID in Florida. So again getting an ID could be difficult.

So no not everyone has a valid ID or could easily get one. Also having an ID at some point in history does not mean you always have it since it can easily expire and they may have no reason to replace it.

• Jump to: