konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
February 13th, 2013 at 5:23:26 PM permalink
At some of the places I eat, that are not restaurants, there will be a tip jar at the counter near the cash register. One Oriental place in particular, I usually drop a buck into this jar when I eat there. Yes, I get a little bit faster and preferential treatment in return, but that's not really the reason I do it. Chipotle also has these tip jars at the counter, but in that case, it's kind of iffy for me. If the service I received, which, granted, isn't much, is really good, I don't mind dropping a dollar in there, but most of the time, it's not great service, so I don't.

However, this is not about either of those situations. Another place I eat at is a sub sandwich place. I really enjoy the sandwiches there. It's a little hole in the wall type of place. The owner and his wife make the sandwiches, run the register, etc, etc, the only 'employees', if you will. This is not a franchise. They have a tip jar near the register.

I feel like, since they are the owners, they are directly making any profit that their store makes. To add a tip jar seems, well, excessive. Comments?
bbvk05
bbvk05
  • Threads: 7
February 13th, 2013 at 5:36:01 PM permalink
Tip carping has proliferated at places that it is not customary to tip. I saw a tip jar the other day for a corner store/gas station. Yeah, no thanks. Some thoughts:

You should not tip the owners of a restaurant or any business, as it is not customary and they have control over prices. Tips are for people directly serving you and not getting a house take.

Tips for greeters/cashiers/hostess? No, these people should get tipped out by servers if they are entitled to anything.

Tips at serve yourself places? Only if I make a mess and they have to clean up after me. Preparing and selling a product to me at a counter I am standing out is not a service (chipotle).

I am pro-tipping for service jobs. I do not tip generously or excessively, but usually follow the customary percentages closely. That means 10-15% for restaurant servers, $3-5 per night for maids, $1-5 per bag for bellmen/skycap, $1-3 per pickup for valet, and $1-5 per shift for card dealers.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
February 13th, 2013 at 5:52:46 PM permalink
My general rule at food places is that unless something is brought to my table, I won't tip. It can even be something as simple as water. This includes Starbucks, I've had friends who have worked there and I know it's somewhat expected, but I just don't get it.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
  • Threads: 26
February 14th, 2013 at 2:26:27 AM permalink
As far as the sandwich shop is concerned, I wouldn't feel obligated to give any sort of tip, but at the same time I don't blame them for putting the jar there. From my experience a lot of people don't like pocket change, especially pennies nickels and dimes. They can feel free to discard their change into the tip jar, and at the end of the night maybe that change (plus the generosity of a few people that throw a buck in) will amount to 10 bucks or something. Over the course of the year that's 3 grand in cash that is likely not reported to the IRS.

What bothers me is the entitlement for tips at the bars I frequent in Boston. The beers are already insanely overpriced (4-5 dollars), however the drinks are also priced to maximize tipping. A premium beer might be $4.75. You look like a cheapskate tipping just 25 cents, so they get you for $1.25. Buy four or five drinks and that adds up quickly. Best bet is to open a tab, then tip 15-20 percent depending on service at the end of the night. Just gets annoying tipping 5 dollars plus to a guy who hardly pays you any attention to open a few beer bottles for you.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
February 14th, 2013 at 7:02:07 AM permalink
I don't often put money into those tip jars. If I do, it is more likely that I would in a mom and pop shop like my local sub or hot dog join rather than a national chain like Chipotle. I feel insulted at certain places that have the jar, like Starbucks, which charges me $5 for a frickin' cup of coffee.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
February 14th, 2013 at 8:29:42 AM permalink
Quote: winmonkeyspit3

From my experience a lot of people don't like pocket change, especially pennies nickels and dimes. They can feel free to discard their change

This is a completely unrelated note. I'm the person who keeps the pocket change. I accumulate it myself at home, and gather quite a bit, so I know just how much people "throw away" by discarding their change.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I went to a McDonald's near my house. After I ordered, and was beginning to pay, the cashier informed me that they had no pennies, is that ok? I said, as long as you are rounding up, I don't care. I don't remember what my change was, but I remember it ending with a 4, so let's say it was 64 cents. The person proceeded to give me 60 cents. I said, no, you still owe me 4 cents. Cashier replied, I already told you I don't have any pennies. I said, that's not my problem. Either you give me a nickel, or you go find 4 pennies. Well, of course the cashier isn't authorized to overpay someone by a penny, so a manager had to be brought out. The manager then proceeded to try to find 4 pennies by looking in the other registers, by was only able to scrounge up 2. Finally, and this all took about 5-6 minutes or so, the manager gave me the nickel.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
February 14th, 2013 at 2:46:29 PM permalink
Quote: konceptum

This is a completely unrelated note. I'm the person who keeps the pocket change. I accumulate it myself at home, and gather quite a bit, so I know just how much people "throw away" by discarding their change.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I went to a McDonald's near my house. After I ordered, and was beginning to pay, the cashier informed me that they had no pennies, is that ok? I said, as long as you are rounding up, I don't care. I don't remember what my change was, but I remember it ending with a 4, so let's say it was 64 cents. The person proceeded to give me 60 cents. I said, no, you still owe me 4 cents. Cashier replied, I already told you I don't have any pennies. I said, that's not my problem. Either you give me a nickel, or you go find 4 pennies. Well, of course the cashier isn't authorized to overpay someone by a penny, so a manager had to be brought out. The manager then proceeded to try to find 4 pennies by looking in the other registers, by was only able to scrounge up 2. Finally, and this all took about 5-6 minutes or so, the manager gave me the nickel.

Wow! Glad I don't work at that McDonald's. We go through about $450 in coins a week. $25 in pennies. Just last night a customer was short 8 cents on their $4.36 order. Option1: make them take something off, or 2: not worry about 8 cents. I choose option 2.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
February 14th, 2013 at 3:07:15 PM permalink
If the manager decides to not deal with pennies (which is a indeed waste of time), then he should simply shift the prices so no pennies are needed.
  • Jump to: