Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 132
December 11th, 2012 at 4:34:45 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I think this would be great. The bet would have two parts:
1) Get to 135 by May 29th or whatever
2) MAINTAIN a weight of 135, to be measured again on July 29th or July 31st or something.

I think fair odds might be 2-1. I would tentatively bet $100 to win $50. SOOPOO, Wizard, MakingBook, any opinions?

HB, would you be open to this challenge? I just don't feel like I can encourage the yo-yo dieting lifestyle.

I would personally advise a bet at Even Money ONLY in this case, and possibly not even then. We're basically talking about people wanting to make bets that HB can do something that she has essentially already done, so to me, the correct line would start out with HB laying 2:1 or something like that.

I don't even think this secondary July 31st date should move the Line to Even Money, but perhaps should just see HB laying 1.5:1 as opposed to 2:1. The reason is that I simply don't see this second date as much of a game-changer. Either way, you still have a specific set goal at a specific set stopping point...essentially, whatever diet/exercise regimen causes the weight to fall of by May 29th should just be continued, in full, until one reaches the second date.

I think that any further bets premised upon this would be silly on the part of those betting against HB because she has shown that she can lose astronomical amounts of weight when sufficiently...motivated. This bet merely proposes that she do the same thing twice.

If I wanted to get this to Even Money, what I would do is set the weight goal for May 29th, then provided that goal is met, anytime between 5/29/2013 and 12/31/2013, you could request a weigh-in (up to three times) in which HB's weight would have to be provided, pursuant to an agreed upon source, within 12-24 hours. If HB is under during all three of these random (to her) requests, she wins, if not, she loses.

Even then I doubt I would go Even Money because the other party has full control over her body, and hence, the bet, but that would get it a little closer.

If we're going to do just one set date again, I think HB should be laying.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
December 11th, 2012 at 4:44:17 AM permalink
Gosh, guys--next you'll tell me NicksGamingStuff is gay and ruin my perception of the entire universe!!!!

Quote: 1BB

This should be made into a movie. Patton Oswalt as SOOPOO, Joe Pesci as Buzz and EvenBob as himself but in silhouette only, per order of the Witness Protection Program. Any suggestions for the rest of the cast? Kirstie Alley, Carnie Wilson, Chaz Bono, John Cryer, William Hung, Jason Alexander, Whitney Cummings as European Hottie? I know, I know but Mila Kunis was busy.

Dibs on Sandra Bullock. If she went blonde for The Blind Side she can lighten up for me, too!

(Okay, people say I look like Renee Zellweger sometimes but I don't care for her...)
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
tsmith
tsmith
  • Threads: 19
December 11th, 2012 at 5:11:01 AM permalink
I've always had a passing resemblance to Liza Minnelli and she's only a few years older than me so the age would be right too. I'm sure she would play a pathetic character if you asked her nicely. :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1388
December 11th, 2012 at 6:17:30 AM permalink
I'm going to give HB a week for the personal insult of DorothyGale.

Meanwhile, I consider the bet agreed up on in general principle, but pending the details. Hopefully those can be negotiated outside of the site. I think the same general rules as last time are fine.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 11th, 2012 at 6:26:07 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

This thread is devolving into a train wreck.

*eats popcorn, pets cat*

Bread and circuses, by thunder!

Perhaps or perhaps it's going exactly as planned.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1388
December 11th, 2012 at 6:31:01 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Come on, she was doing nothing so much like trying to get a reaction from HB.

If I gave out suspensions for that I would be banning people on a daily basis.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
December 11th, 2012 at 6:33:30 AM permalink
How about a few props.....for entertainment purposes only (I am retired)

Will Scott be banned from attending the weigh-in?
Yes -140
No +120

Will HB threaten to send her brother to "beat up" any forum members?
Yes -280
No +230

Will there be an HB vs Dorthy Gale cage match (MMA style) on the Vegas strip after the weigh-in?
Yes +6000
No -9000
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
December 11th, 2012 at 6:45:22 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Perhaps or perhaps it's going exactly as planned.

The human race has a long history of enjoying spectacle.
NO KILL I
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 11th, 2012 at 6:51:34 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I should know better than to ask (hell, i do), but how long will Dorothy be suspended for trolling?

Come on, she was doing nothing so much like trying to get a reaction from HB.

I just reread Dorothy's posts and it's quite obvious to me that she has done nothing but express concern for a fellow human being. Disliking something does not make it trolling.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 11th, 2012 at 8:01:41 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

If I gave out suspensions for that I would be banning people on a daily basis.

True.

On the other hand, most people don't try to get a reaction from somene else by means of unwarranted personal attacks, and posts about how the targetis mentally ill. What DG did is mean-spirited and malicious.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

• Jump to: