SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
December 13th, 2012 at 7:01:50 AM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

If we are talking about other members losing weight, I am interested.

Anyway if I can get some people interested in my progress and maybe some pledges of about $100 (yeah thats it only a hundred) I will be extra motivated to share my experience.

It has to be a bet for me to be involved. You put up $5 and I put up $100. If you are 160lbs or less on June 21, 2013, you win. If not, you lose. Same rules as HBC1... no weight loss surgery, and no diuretics. Also- no speedo pictures, please!
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
December 13th, 2012 at 7:07:20 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

No! plus another $50 if you can beat me in a five-mile race.

Can we still do our 1 mile race ?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
December 13th, 2012 at 8:47:32 AM permalink
Given the many people wanting to lose a few pounds, maybe we should make a new year resolution thread.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
December 13th, 2012 at 10:11:09 AM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: sodawater on Oct 1, 2018
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 13th, 2012 at 10:15:32 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

That's not even enough to get yummy treats at an expensive restaurant! What are you trying to pull here, wizard?!

Thank you!
A falling knife has no handle.
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
December 13th, 2012 at 10:38:54 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

That's not even enough to get yummy treats at an expensive restaurant! What are you trying to pull here, wizard?!

I am doing this to raise $ for charity (not sure which one yet), actually I think I will ask if the wager can be if I make the weight/win the race then the Wizard will donate $ to the charity, if I dont make/lose the race then I donate the $ to the charity. With only 2 days a week at work right now I can't risk more than $100.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 13th, 2012 at 10:41:42 AM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

With only 2 days a week at work right now I can't risk more than $100.

Yikes! What happened? I thought you had 2 full time jobs you were choosing between?
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
December 13th, 2012 at 10:42:16 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

It has to be a bet for me to be involved. You put up $5 and I put up $100. If you are 160lbs or less on June 21, 2013, you win. If not, you lose. Same rules as HBC1... no weight loss surgery, and no diuretics. Also- no speedo pictures, please!

I accept your wager scott.
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
December 13th, 2012 at 10:42:58 AM permalink

Yikes! What happened? I thought you had 2 full time jobs you were choosing between?

The schedules ran into each other and my old job made me quit.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 13th, 2012 at 11:04:26 PM permalink

No! He is much too thin. I think 160 is sounds like a good goal.

I don't profess to be a health and exercise expert, but I think for what you want you should emphasize cardiovascular exercises as opposed to weight lifting.

Mostly cardio with some anaerobic strength work... muscle burns calories quicker than fat. Only cardio makes the body good as moving your current mass around after a while, which doesn't help weight loss.

Quote:

Since you have helped me many times, here is what I propose. On June 21 I'll give you $50 if you get to 160, plus another $50 if you can beat me in a five-mile race. This is totally a free roll.

Whats your 5 mile time, Mr Wizard? Just curious, as you can do sub 2-hour half marathons I am not about to challenge you :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 14th, 2012 at 4:30:11 PM permalink
I have been trying to nail down some details with HB that would make the bet acceptable.... I wanted a picture of her with a scale and a newspaper by December 17 to get a starting weight.... She told me that I have nothing to do with her challenge other than whether or not to bet. I therefore have informed her that she and I have no bet. What the Wiz chooses to do is up to him. Good luck, HB, and good luck, Nick!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 14th, 2012 at 4:36:21 PM permalink
I hope he goes with Nick. He seems to be one who would appreciate it.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 14th, 2012 at 5:13:54 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Whats your 5 mile time, Mr Wizard? Just curious, as you can do sub 2-hour half marathons I am not about to challenge you :)

I've never timed myself at such a short distance. My half marathon pace was 9.1 minutes per mile. However, for a shorter distance I know I could run faster. Probably about 7.5 minutes per mile, so let's say 37.5 minutes.
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
December 14th, 2012 at 5:52:29 PM permalink
I posted this in my blog section but maybe more people will see it here:

With a goal of 1700 calories per day:

If I burn 1200 calories at the gym (estimated via cardio+weight lifting+ class) and consume 2000 calories, does that mean I have a net of 800 calories for the day and can consume 900 more, or do I have to stop eating since I exceeded my goal of 1700 calories, but with the 1200 burned have a net of 500 calories for the day which does not seem like a lot. Hmm....
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 14th, 2012 at 6:49:36 PM permalink
Nick- you burn a baseline amount of calories by just existing, even while you are sleeping. If you are really doing a 1200 calorie workout, and eat only 1700 calories per day, you will lose weight rapidly.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
December 14th, 2012 at 6:59:25 PM permalink
Good luck, Nick.

I think the NYE Resolution approach might be a good
thing, publicly stating what your goal is and then
tracking it. At least for me it might.

I also want (I think) to lose some weight, probably
about 40 lbs. But I'll start with 20 ! ! ! Actually a
nice milestone would be about 10 lbs!

I haven't exactly figured out what motivation I need to
succeed.

Like others have posted, when this is something
as serious as your health, why would some
money on a bet make you (me) think you can lose
it AND KEEP IT OFF ?
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 14th, 2012 at 7:01:09 PM permalink
What is the line on who will weigh more on 1/1/1314, Nick or HB?
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
December 14th, 2012 at 7:31:25 PM permalink
January first? Probably going to be me. HB was about 150 in october, but said she had gained 30 pounds right? I dont think I can drop to 180 in 2 weeks. I will take a picture (or let the Wiz do it) on 1/1 though.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 14th, 2012 at 8:03:42 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Unless the odds for the forum get better than 1:1, I'd set the line for people to join V2.0 at 3.5 and I'd take the under, even knowing there's already 2 ready to go right now.

Lots of backlash, only Wiz is still on board.

Perhaps let this one run it's course and start a new NGS thread just for him?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 14th, 2012 at 8:18:33 PM permalink
Sorry, I made a typo. I meant Jan 1, 2014.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 14th, 2012 at 8:26:36 PM permalink
At G2E I weighed 224. EvenBob aptly described me as the fireplug on the left in the Wiz group pix. I have changed my diet, but no real exercise as don't want to push the heart too much yet.

What would be a realistic over/under weight for my 73rd birthday on May 16th?

I am still 6 feet tall.

Not looking for financial incentive. I already have that in wanting to stay on the right side of grass. Plus I intend to win Raving new game 2013. About that ( no pun intended ) I am serious as a heart attack.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 14th, 2012 at 8:37:22 PM permalink

Sorry, I made a typo. I meant Jan 1, 2014.

I wouldn't take the bet unless it was a really low amount, at any line. HotBlonde has proven that she can lose massive quantities of weight given the proper incentive, and NicksGamingStuff would not allow himself to plummet to a weight that is unhealthy. Given their respective heights, I believe HB would be expected to weigh less than Nick'sGamingStuff, so if there were a ton of action at Even Money, then the people betting on HotBlonde could simply offer to pay her half of the total winnings (If $5,000 was the total bet by each side, they would offer her $2,500) to get down to a weight below what Nick'sGamingStuff should even reasonably be able to weigh.

On the other hand, people could also simply pay HB to balloon, but I'm unsure that she would be willing to do that.

I doubt if Nick'sGamingStuff could be coerced to balloon as he seems to want to lose weight whether there is a bet or not and will donate his winnings to charity regardless.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
December 14th, 2012 at 8:38:03 PM permalink
Buzzard, 210.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Buzzard
Buzzard
December 14th, 2012 at 8:47:26 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Buzzard, 210.

Gee, I would rather have been called a nitwit, without a smiley face, no less.

I think you should suspend yourself !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mission146
Mission146
December 14th, 2012 at 9:01:42 PM permalink
I would say that 2.5 lbs./month is really the most you should be striving to lose. If you happen to lose more, then so be it, but I would be hesitant to push myself too hard if more than that isn't coming off naturally with a moderate amount of exercise.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 15th, 2012 at 5:59:18 AM permalink
To update the forum on HB, there has been a lot of negotiations behind the scenes during her suspension. Suffice it to say it was not without the usual drama. To make a long story short, the parties involved can not seem to agree on the specific terms.
1BB
1BB
December 15th, 2012 at 6:11:54 AM permalink
The Ventures who did the Hawaii 5 O song had a cool instrumental called Walk Don't Run in the early 60s. I'm going to turn the title around and say RUN don't walk from this HB Challenge!
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
December 15th, 2012 at 7:56:08 AM permalink
It seems the HB Challenge II is dead......

Yet, Nick gets his own weight loss challenge, and will be getting all the attention.

Man, HB is going to be PISSED! Watch out, here comes her brother.....
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 15th, 2012 at 8:07:01 AM permalink
Now we just need to see whether Buzzard (or someone else) shows up at WoVCon ]I[ having lost even more weight than Nick, and without a challenge at all! Wouldn't that be a bummer!
Buzzard
Buzzard
December 15th, 2012 at 8:23:48 AM permalink
May 16 is my weigh-in date, be 73 years old.
If I make 180 , my weight April 1962, when I enlisted in USAF to escape Baltimore heat, I will have lost 44 pounds.
If I make 165, my weight April 1966, when discharged USAF, I will have lost 59 pounds.
And I intend to keep that weight off for my photo session at Raving 2013 in the winner's circle.
Hey, a guy can dream can't he ?
Buzzard
Buzzard
December 15th, 2012 at 8:25:23 AM permalink
WIZ " To make a long story short, the parties involved can not seem to agree on the specific terms. "

No who could have seen that coming ! Any chance we can get EvenBob as a negotiator ?
Mosca
Mosca
December 15th, 2012 at 10:31:31 AM permalink
Buzzard, didn't they set you up with cardiac rehab? Just go to rehab. You get a nice set of cardio machines working both upper and lower body; they start you slow and ramp you up; they give you dietary and lifestyle advice. I lost about 25lbs in 6 weeks, and felt great.
Buzzard
Buzzard
December 15th, 2012 at 1:47:02 PM permalink
I plan on starting rehab after New Years, but hope to bust 200 lb barrier first.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 21st, 2012 at 11:38:31 AM permalink
Just on a side note, do you know how hard it is to gain
30 pounds in just 52 days? For somebody as tall as HB, she
would have to be packing in nearly 4000 calories a day,
every day. Probably more, because all the extra calories
won't go to fat. Thats a hell of a lot of food to eat.

Its a fact that we gain weight far slower than we lose it.
Having seen no evidence (a picture of her or a scale),
I would have to say I have my doubts she gained that
much weight that fast. Actual weight in added fat, that
is. Water weight can fluctuate greatly.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
January 26th, 2013 at 10:31:55 AM permalink
So I have been losing weight and am on track to hit my goal of 135 pounds.

In case some of you are curious as to the reason for my absence, the reasons are multi-fold.

Number 1, if I were to participate in a new challenge I wanted it to be simple. I wanted to simply say, "This is how much I weigh on this date, this is how much I plan on weighing on that date, bet against me if you don't think I can do it." Simple enough. When SOOPOO (by the Wizard's request) jumped in and started changing the date, and how much I'm supposed to weigh, and the comditions of my weight loss program I decided not to participate. I had no qualms about taking a picture or video of myself with a newspaper to prove my starting weight and the date, contrary to what SOOPOO has stated in the forum here. If any of you remember I was the first one to even say I would do that. Although most of you are blind to this, it should have become obvious to those of you who can see clearly that SOOPOO has made it a habit of lying and stretching the truth to make me look bad and to make him look like he's done no wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if you all still haven't caught on to this.

Number 2 reason I backed out is after having a discussion with EuropeanHottie I realized I didn't want to feel an enormous amount of pressure and have my daily life be thrown into upheaval, as it did with my last challenge, over a very small amount of money this time. I lost waaay more in income during the duration of my challenge last year than I actually won (I still haven't been paid by texasplumr nor Lucyjr). EH pointed out that this time around since there was a much smaller amount at stake (I think there were 3 bets against me totalling $850 if I remember correctly) it wouldn't be worth it for me financially to have to put this kind of pressure on myself and possibly lose way more in income than the small amount I stood to gain.

Number 3 reason I didn't want to participate is I am planning on being in Vegas the last weekend of May into June first and foremost for my dad and his girlfriend's visit. I'm planning on saving my money to have fun and take my dad and his girlfriend out and I didn't want to risk having to pay out additional money had I lost the bet.

Number 4 reason, and a very big reason I backed out, is that I just do not enjoy this forum any more. This has become for me a very negative place to participate in and I have been uncomfortable for a long time with the amount of negativity and hate directed towards me. I have no reason to waste any time with people who have nothing better to do than trash me online, 99% of whom are people who will never even show their face in public to the other forum members.

Number 5 reason is a very empowering reason. Although I am very proud of myself for my accomplishment in the first challenge, I like the idea of being able to prove to myself this time around that I actually can do this on my own, that I have the strength to hit my goal weight of 135 pounds (which I have never once weighed throughout my entire adult life) all on my own. This will be worth to me more than any amount of money.

I'm friends with the Wizard and enjoy being his friend and have no problem with him. I just don't find the forum to be a place where I want to participate much any more. I had an amazing experience with my first challenge, it will be something I will remember for the rest of my life. I lost 99.6 pounds in just over 40 weeks and am damn proud of that.

I haven't read any of the threads in the forum over the last several weeks, but will be in Vegas Saturday June 1st and plan on attending the WoV Con ]I[ if it is still scheduled for then. Again, I have not read any new updates so correct me if the date has changed. Now, for those of you who care....

I am on track to hit 135 pounds anywhere from 13 weeks from now to 21 and 1/2 weeks from now. (The reason for this variance is whether or not: a) I'll actually lose an extra 10% of my weight due to the green tea I've been drinking and green coffee capsules I've been taking as the scientific studies show could happen, b) I'll gain weight over time from muscle being built from my weight training sessions, c) whether the calories in/calories out standard formula is precise in determining how much weight you can lose, and d) whether my body will lose MORE than expected according to that formula as it did during my first challenge (I seem to burn more calories than the standard charts say I do according to my weight, activity levels, etc.)

So with me doing everything perfectly as planned it should take 13 to 21 and 1/2 more weeks from today to hit my ultimate goal. The date I will hit the goal will be all up to my body, as I plan on being perfect on my diet and exercise programs.
The WoV Con ]I[ get together, if still scheduled for June 1st, is exactly 19 weeks from now. It would be wonderful to attend the get together at my ultimate weight goal. I'm going to do my part here in staying committed to doing the absoulte best I can and I'm hoping my body makes it possible to meet my goal by that date. :)
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 26th, 2013 at 12:31:46 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

SOOPOO has made it a habit of lying

It seems like the 'lady' has returned! She couldn't keep her vitriol to herself, always has to share!
Welcome back, Anne!

For those that followed the simple time-line, as always, I told no lies, bent no truth, just tried to establish an enforceable bet, with guidance from Mike, that would be fair to both sides. If you think about it, that's exactly what I did in the original HB challenge.

As internet hatred bears no fruit, as always, I wish you well, HB. Good luck on taming your demons.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
January 26th, 2013 at 2:18:07 PM permalink

For those that followed the simple time-line, as always, I told no lies, bent no truth...

Why did you say that I wasn't participating in the new challenge because I didn't want to take a picture of myself? Show me proof where I ever said that to you. You did lie in saying that and you did lie when you told the forum in May that I was making a request to call off the challenge and you also lied in saying that the reason I didn't want you to go to my weigh in party was because I didn't want your lady friend to come to dinner with us. All of those things you said are lies, Scott. Why do you keep lying and trying to make me look bad? You seriously have not changed your ways and I'm still surprised that someone who is a medical doctor would behave this way.

And I have no demons to tame. I live a healthy life and I don't go on internet forums and lie about people to make them look bad and me look good.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 26th, 2013 at 2:25:01 PM permalink

Why did you say that I wasn't participating in the new challenge because I didn't want to take a picture of myself? Show me proof where I ever said that to you. You did lie in saying that and you did lie when you told the forum in May that I was making a request to call off the challenge and you also lied .

What do you hope to accomplish by saying all this?
Its a he said she said situation just like the all the
problems with the first bet. I'll think you'll find nobody
cares about this anymore, you should really move on
and find something else to do..
1BB
1BB
January 26th, 2013 at 2:29:32 PM permalink
Best wishes on your weight loss journey Nick, Buzz and Jane. I'm rooting for you!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 26th, 2013 at 3:26:21 PM permalink

Why did you say that I wasn't participating in the new challenge because I didn't want to take a picture of myself? Show me proof where I ever said that to you. You did lie in saying that and you did lie when you told the forum in May that I was making a request to call off the challenge and you also lied in saying that the reason I didn't want you to go to my weigh in party was because I didn't want your lady friend to come to dinner with us. All of those things you said are lies, Scott. Why do you keep lying and trying to make me look bad? You seriously have not changed your ways and I'm still surprised that someone who is a medical doctor would behave this way.

And I have no demons to tame. I live a healthy life and I don't go on internet forums and lie about people to make them look bad and me look good.

geez, Anne..... I can't really figure out what you are trying to say, but I stand by my word.... I do not lie.... I never said that YOU didn't want my lady friend to come to dinner with you.... I was concerned about what she would think.... We hashed that out on the initial thread months ago....
Anyway, good luck to you, as always...
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
January 26th, 2013 at 4:15:40 PM permalink
Don't think even I haven't noticed that that's one alleged lie of three.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 26th, 2013 at 8:17:49 PM permalink

I just do not enjoy this forum any more. This has become for me a very negative place to participate in and I have been uncomfortable for a long time with the amount of negativity and hate directed towards me.

"Negativity?"

You bet.

"Hate?"

That's a bit strong, but some definitely dislike you.
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 26th, 2013 at 8:36:08 PM permalink
Thanks HB for the progress report. Nice to see you are trying to achieve a healthy and hot weight again. It will be good to have you at WoV-con III. Meanwhile, I will sit back and enjoy the latest episode of the HB & SOOPOO show.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 28th, 2013 at 12:19:44 PM permalink
Good luck on the rest of your weight loss HB. I think doing this without any monetary gain will be good for your psyche, as you mentioned. Prove to yourself that you can do it without the motivation of winning money!
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 2nd, 2013 at 12:21:48 AM permalink

Not to take away any interest towards Buzz's goal but I want to get down to 135 pounds in 4 months and I need some motivation. I totally believe I can do it on my own but an incentive could never hurt. I would consider any fair odds if anyone is interested.

I thought I could win a hotblonde. False advertising. :(
I am a robot.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 2nd, 2013 at 12:34:44 AM permalink
There's hot and then there's 'hot'.. I suggest
you forget about it..
1BB
1BB
February 2nd, 2013 at 5:16:14 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I thought I could win a hotblonde. False advertising. :(

Be careful what you wish for.
Mosca
Mosca
February 2nd, 2013 at 7:43:39 AM permalink
This whole situation is best not commented on.

Hey, wait a second....
  • Jump to: