JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
November 20th, 2012 at 10:37:44 AM permalink
When choosing dice to throw in craps, I try to pick two that are showing the same number with a strong preference to the six. If there are no pairs, I pick the two showing the highest number. Please understand that I am and odds guy. I primarily play pass line and odds and I don't make sucker bets. I know full well that it is completely irrational and it has no influence on my luck. But I do in anyway every time. So how about you. Any of you dedicated rational decision makers, steeped in the math and have any superstitions that you allow yourself to indulge?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
bbvk05
bbvk05
  • Threads: 7
November 20th, 2012 at 10:53:40 AM permalink
It might not actually be superstitious, but I will rarely play the don't pass on a full table if nobody else is playing it. I'm willing to surrender a slight mathematical advantage to go along with everybody else.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 20th, 2012 at 11:02:34 AM permalink
Die down.. I'll sometimes bet the Come to cover my Passline action.

When I am picking dice, I'll choose a six and a four up, since that is how I set them, and it saves time. I don't understand the shooters that pick up all five, then roll them toward themselves before picking. What are they looking for? However, to each his own. Like the Bud Light commercial..., "It's Only Weird If It Doesn't Work"
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
November 20th, 2012 at 12:50:30 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

When I am picking dice, I'll choose a six and a four up, since that is how I set them, and it saves time.

But that has some logic behind it. So none of you math guys will confess to any kind of irrational ritual, good luck charm?

I just realized that what I am doing with the dice is picking the best two card poker hand. I never thought of it that way.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 20th, 2012 at 1:00:09 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

When I am picking dice, I'll choose a six and a four up, since that is how I set them, and it saves time.

But that has some logic behind it. So none of you math guys will confess to any kind of irrational ritual, good luck charm?

I just realized that what I am doing with the dice is picking the best two card poker hand. I never thought of it that way.

hehe... You must belong here, since a truly superstitious player wouldn't pick up dice that like to come up "Craps 12".
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
November 20th, 2012 at 1:16:25 PM permalink

When I am picking dice, I'll choose a six and a four up, since that is how I set them, and it saves time. I don't understand the shooters that pick up all five, then roll them toward themselves before picking. What are they looking for? However, to each his own. Like the Bud Light commercial..., "It's Only Weird If It Doesn't Work"

Ayecarumba,

Aye aye aye. I am one of the shooters who will pick up all the dice and roll them towards me. Why?
I would like to pick up 5s. If the stick pushed me only one 5, I will set that aside and roll the other four dice.
I try to be as fast as possible. If I don't get a 5, I try once more, and if not then, I just grab any one die.

What I should do, is just announce all the dice are bad, and I am passing my turn! That should cause a commotion. LOL

I have one other one that I am curious if anyone else does.

If a shooter has been on a good roll, and I am up next, I keep a very close eye on the dice. I want to try and grab the same two dice the last shooter had. A lazy stick makes it easy to do, but most stick people will tumble the dice pretty good, which makes it hard to track.
On the rolls where I have managed to get both dice back, I have had good to very good rolls. Just a silly thing I do to entertain myself.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 20th, 2012 at 1:29:35 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

So how about you. Any of you dedicated rational decision makers, steeped in the math and have any superstitions that you allow yourself to indulge?

No, none.

I suppose you could try the latest superstition, dice setting.
"What, me worry?"
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
November 20th, 2012 at 1:41:56 PM permalink
I will only roll the dice if they're 6-4 or 3-3.

Edit: I just set the dice if they come to me differently.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
November 20th, 2012 at 1:46:23 PM permalink
I always used to set the dice 4-4 up, on the back of the 3-pip, the center spot used to have a letter.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 20th, 2012 at 4:27:18 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

Aye aye aye. I am one of the shooters who will pick up all the dice and roll them towards me. Why?
I would like to pick up 5s. If the stick pushed me only one 5, I will set that aside and roll the other four dice.
I try to be as fast as possible. If I don't get a 5, I try once more, and if not then, I just grab any one die.

I don't do the second one, but I do something very similar to the one quoted above. I play the Wrong Way, so I tend to like picking up two dice that add up to a total of Seven...even though that's bad for me on the CO. If there are no such dice, then I roll them all and pick up two that add up to a total of Seven, like you, I will only roll them all twice, at most.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
November 20th, 2012 at 4:49:43 PM permalink
Raleigh,
I do the same...but I do it easier...i just call for "same two dice!"
I have so many superstitions its retarded...
But like BL says...Its only weird if it doesn't work...lol
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
November 20th, 2012 at 6:20:58 PM permalink
When the CW interrupts the shooter, bets off or hop the 7's! Stick change = same deal
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
November 20th, 2012 at 7:37:32 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

When the CW interrupts the shooter, bets off or hop the 7's! Stick change = same deal

Do you do it EVERY time, or just when you get the feeling?

Have you ever tracked it to see if you are ahead or behind on this move?

And finally, if the CW AND the new stick show up at the same time, do they offset each other, so it is "play on"?
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 20th, 2012 at 8:24:02 PM permalink
superstition craziness --- Well, I tend to hold the deal hand of 3, or 4 to a RF on VP for a couple seconds. If someone sees it and comments on it before I play for the result I feel jinxed already. (possiblly because I've never had a good result after that happened) I NEED SILENCE! heh.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
tupp
tupp
  • Threads: 3
November 20th, 2012 at 8:27:37 PM permalink
I always buy-in and color-up after the point has been established.

:^)
  • Jump to: