kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
October 31st, 2012 at 9:39:27 PM permalink
OMG! Turns out the Romney campaign purchased all those canned goods and handed them out to supporters to donate just to make a photo op of supporters handing Mr Romney the very donations that the campaign bought. What an A-hole!

http://www.inquisitr.com/383047/mitt-romney-storm-relief-event-staged-campaign-spends-5000-on-donations-for-event/
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
November 1st, 2012 at 2:04:49 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

OMG! Turns out the Romney campaign purchased all those canned goods and handed them out to supporters to donate just to make a photo op of supporters handing Mr Romney the very donations that the campaign bought. What an A-hole!

http://www.inquisitr.com/383047/mitt-romney-storm-relief-event-staged-campaign-spends-5000-on-donations-for-event/

This is hardly news. Staged political events? Really? A relief effort was held and they made sure the result showed lots of donations. They beefed it up for the photo op.

I'm sure there is more than one example. I seem to remember some medical thing at the White House where they handed all the doctors lab coats to wear for the photo op.

No. Nothing in politics is staged.

Pictures of Obama in the situation room working the Sandy issue? Staged, of course.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 1st, 2012 at 5:58:45 AM permalink
Yeah, they also gave the items to the Red Cross without asking and against their wishes, and they gave items that were not needed. You'd think they'd ASK first. The IRC doesn't have the capability to accept direct donations of dry goods, but that's what Romney's team did. I thought the Red Cross did a good job of accommodating the campaign without making a scene, but they weren't happy either - and it took away from the Red Cross's actual relief efforts.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
November 1st, 2012 at 11:49:10 AM permalink
Of course it's staged silly, common sense could go a long way here. Dude's in one of the most heated presidential races ever. For him not to make an event would make him an A-hole. Nice try.
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 1st, 2012 at 11:59:45 AM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

Of course it's staged silly, common sense could go a long way here. Dude's in one of the most heated presidential races ever. For him not to make an event would make him an A-hole. Nice try.

I don't really think that was the point. The point was that the campaign literally staged it. Like, with fake "donations" from attendees and everything. The campaign handed out items for people to "donate" at the event so that Romney wouldn't be standing in a room with no donations to sort. That's more than a little petty.

But the part that I can't get over is that they didn't coordinate with the IRC at all. If they were staging the event and buying the supplies themselves, why not ask for what was needed? Or even ask whether or not the Red Cross was accepting direct donations. In this case, the Red Cross had asked people NOT to donate items directly, and they'd expressed that there was NO NEED for dry goods. Romney's campaign directly donated dry goods to the IRC. They made Romney look good in a picture, but they didn't actually help with storm relief at all.

All Romney had to do to improve his standing was provide actual assistance and issue a statement that said "I don't care how this looks. There was a giant disaster and I'm going to lend a hand." Somehow, his people (I don't fault Romney at all, personally) managed to do the exact opposite.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 1st, 2012 at 12:15:08 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

The point was that the campaign literally staged it. .

You mean like this was completely planned and staged?
Is that what you mean?

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
kewlj
kewlj
November 1st, 2012 at 12:23:39 PM permalink
I actually feel kind of bad for Mr Romney. This natural weather disaster was really a disaster for his campaign just because of the timing. Beginning on sunday, 9 days out from the election, the focus of all 24/7 news shifted from elections to storm. This left him out of the loop, out of the news for at least 4 days of the remaining 9 days, while the president, was still in the news, enjoying positive news coverage, by just doing his job. That really was big misfortune for Mr Romney. It was a lose-lose situation. If he canceled events and did nothing he loses critical time in the elections final days. If he goes ahead, he looks even worse, and still isn't going to get much coverage and that little that he does get will be negative. Holding a relief type event wasn't a horrible idea, just to try to keep him relevant in some small way with a positive light. But holding it in a swing state looked bad. Looks like a farce. And then having the campaign go out and buy goods because they were afraid, people would not actually show up with goods was just fraud. I mean, watch the video. He stands there and makes comments about how the people donating, gave up both time and money and got up early and went to walmart to buy supplies for their fellow americans. These people did no such thing. They were handed can goods and supplies to walk up and hand to Romney. That is just utter Bulls**t! That goes beyond political non-sense.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 1st, 2012 at 12:32:56 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You mean like this was completely planned and staged?
Is that what you mean?

What did Mitt Romney do to Governor Christie, anyway? My goodness!
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2012 at 12:35:25 PM permalink

This natural weather disaster was really a disaster for his campaign

Yes, it looks like NY, NJ, DE, MD, MA, CT, are all going
to break for Obama, dammit. What cracks me up is
some talking heads are saying OOOH, Obama looks
so presidential!

Um, what did he look like last week or last month, chopped
liver? They seem genuinely surprised that Obama can look
presidential. Romeny looks presidential, Obama IS the president.
Too funny..

And Obama standing next to the Ringling Bros Circus fat man
is a national joke. They look like Oliver and Hardy.

rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 1st, 2012 at 12:42:53 PM permalink

is a national joke.

OK. In what nation, exactly? That sure isn't the reaction it's received here in the USA...
kewlj
kewlj
November 1st, 2012 at 12:45:26 PM permalink

is a national joke. They look like Oliver and Hardy.

Oliver and Hardy were the same person, goofy. Oliver Hardy! lol

I am not surprised you have turned on Christie. I expect to see more of this from the repubs after Romney loses. The narrative will be that Christie threw Romney under the bus for his own political gain, re-election in 2013 and presidential run 2016. I wonder if the repub powers will forgive or if this will doom future presidential chances for him.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2012 at 12:49:27 PM permalink

OK. In what nation, exactly? That sure isn't the reaction it's received here in the USA...

The heck it isn't. Even Colbert and Stewart were
making fun of it on their shows last night. The
pics are hilarious, Christie is so grossly fat and
Obama is a scarecrow. Look at the pic, whats
the first thing you think of? Two leaders coming
together is a crisis? Or, good god! Look what a
tub of lard Christie is!
kewlj
kewlj
November 1st, 2012 at 12:55:14 PM permalink

The heck it isn't. Even Colbert and Stewart were
making fun of it on their shows last night. The
pics are hilarious, Christie is so grossly fat and
Obama is a scarecrow. Look at the pic, whats
the first thing you think of? Two leaders coming
together is a crisis? Or, good god! Look what a
tub of lard Christie is!

You are one classy and respectful person Bob. Your parents did quite a job with your upbringing. I am sure they would be proud of you.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
November 1st, 2012 at 12:58:16 PM permalink
When Christie is the Republican nominee in 2016, will EvenBob be singing the same tune?
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
November 1st, 2012 at 1:03:49 PM permalink

Oliver and Hardy were the same person, goofy. Oliver Hardy! lol

I am not surprised you have turned on Christie. I expect to see more of this from the repubs after Romney loses. The narrative will be that Christie threw Romney under the bus for his own political gain, re-election in 2013 and presidential run 2016. I wonder if the repub powers will forgive or if this will doom future presidential chances for him.

All the Republicans need to do to win the Presidency is present a candidate that is decent.

Christie is being an evil genius and realizing that he could be that person in 2016. Smart move by him.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 1st, 2012 at 1:03:54 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

When Christie is the Republican nominee in 2016, will EvenBob be singing the same tune?

Sure. He'll still call Christie fat. That's just who Bob is:)
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 1st, 2012 at 1:12:09 PM permalink
I await the pictures of EvenBob so we can decide if he's an insightful political commentator or not. I can't tell without a picture, as his weight is a CRUCIAL factor in my decision to decide.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2012 at 1:13:23 PM permalink
Anybody watching the miles long lines for gas?
The people lined up for gas for blocks with red
gas cans? Obama and Christie kissed and swapped
tongues yesterday, Obama promised he'd wave
his hand, and look! Nothing has changed and
won't be changed till next week. People are getting
very short tempered, the nation is watching and
going, WTF? Its Katrina all over again and Bush
is long gone.

Who profits from the storm, I wonder. The election
is a long way off when you have no power and gas
and heat and food..
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 1st, 2012 at 1:15:30 PM permalink
Romney and Obama to tear down Michigan and bang on Bob's door. He's got all the answers to this crisis!
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 1st, 2012 at 1:18:30 PM permalink

Who profits from the storm, I wonder. The election
is a long way off when you have no power and gas
and heat and food..

So, to be clear, what you - as a conservative - would like to see happen is for the federal government to tell PSEG and ConEd to stand aside so the government can restore power?
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2012 at 1:43:23 PM permalink

So, to be clear, what you - as a conservative - would like to see happen is for the federal government to tell PSEG and ConEd to stand aside so the government can restore power?

What I want is the the power to be restored when it
gets restored, which won't be till next week. Its
Katrina all over again. They're already calling
the Red Cross a joke.

http://politicker.com/2012/11/staten-island-borough-president-dont-give-money-to-the-red-cross/

Hmm, they said the same thing about the RC
during Katrina. But that was because it was
all black people and Bush was a racist. I wonder
what the reason is for Sandy.

This just gets better and better.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2012 at 2:07:03 PM permalink
Fistfights and guns at gas stations in NY and NJ.
National Guard needed? http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/01/reports-fistfights-guns-gas-stations-shortages-Sandy

Katrina redux?

rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 1st, 2012 at 2:20:35 PM permalink

Fistfights and guns at gas stations in NY and NJ.
National Guard needed? http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/01/reports-fistfights-guns-gas-stations-shortages-Sandy

Katrina redux?

Breitbart's blog is being used as a news source now? You've got to be kidding.

Speaking of kidding, since when are fistfights and guns at NJ gas stations newsworthy? It's New Jersey... :-P
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2012 at 2:34:44 PM permalink

Breitbart's blog is being used as a news source now?

Yes, this isn't really happening. And the good natured
sweet folks in NY and NJ would never get in fistfights.

What poppycock..
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
November 1st, 2012 at 2:40:00 PM permalink

Speaking of kidding, since when are fistfights and guns at NJ gas stations newsworthy? It's New Jersey... :-P

Because it's Thursday! Usually they wait for the weekend, silly...
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2012 at 2:50:52 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

Because it's Thursday! Usually they wait for the weekend, silly...

Difference is, the whole country is watching now.
Obama waved his hand, gave his blessing, and
things are not better. And will get even worse over
the weekend. People expect instant results, just
like they did with Bush. They've already forgotten
Obama was even there, where the HELL is my
electric is what they're saying now.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 1st, 2012 at 5:27:56 PM permalink

I actually feel kind of bad for Mr Romney. This natural weather disaster was really a disaster for his campaign just because of the timing. Beginning on sunday, 9 days out from the election, the focus of all 24/7 news shifted from elections to storm. This left him out of the loop, out of the news for at least 4 days of the remaining 9 days, while the president, was still in the news, enjoying positive news coverage, by just doing his job. That really was big misfortune for Mr Romney. It was a lose-lose situation. If he canceled events and did nothing he loses critical time in the elections final days.

Many people feel that the storm put Obama at a disadvantage. Inevitably some unhappy soul will get on television and say that he is being ignored and he is cold and hungry. With millions of people affected, you can guarantee someone will have that story.

All Romney had to do was not to look like he was exploiting the storm for political gain.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2012 at 5:35:00 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Inevitably some unhappy soul will get on television and say that he is being ignored and he is cold and hungry. .

Its already happening. People are complaing that the
people with poll to house electric are being ignore
so the people with underground service can be restored
first. No gas, no food, no FEMA yet, its the 4th tomorrow.
Wait till the weekend is over and there are still 2 million
without power. Maybe Obama could go back and hug
a few more folks and wave his magic arm again.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 1st, 2012 at 5:42:27 PM permalink

Its already happening. People are complaing that the
people with poll to house electric are being ignore
so the people with underground service can be restored
first. No gas, no food, no FEMA yet, its the 4th tomorrow.
Wait till the weekend is over and there are still 2 million
without power. Maybe Obama could go back and hug
a few more folks and wave his magic arm again.

FEMA has been on-site since before the storm hit. Michael Brown even criticized the administration for that. Conservatives can't have it both ways. Were they there too soon, or have they not arrived yet?

Fundamentally, they want/need to work on underground power lines first. Especially around NYC. They're generally higher voltage, and getting those lines restored will bolster the whole system & provide redundancy for when the above-ground distribution system is re-energized. The underground system also powers NYC's subways. To the extent that transportation is critical, this isn't too hard to understand. If ConEd isn't making that clear, they really should be.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2012 at 5:52:28 PM permalink

FEMA has been on-site since before the storm hit.

So what? They're hugely incompetent.

Of course the elecric companies has reasons for their
priorities, you think the guy sitting in a 45 degree
house for the 4th night gives a rats ass? He thinks
about him and how miserable he is, he doesn't want
a bunch of reasons.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2012 at 8:07:21 PM permalink
Anybody see the one hour special on NBC
about Sandy? A masterpiece of flim flam.

Not a single mention of 2 mile long gas
lines. Of blocks long lines of people with
gas cans. Not a word on FEMA. It was an
hour of hope, an hour of people in Manhattan
pumping out their basements and bars open
by candle light. 5min talking to Alec Baldwin.
10min on how its global warmings fault
and how we blew it in Iraq and Afghanistan
and we should have spent the money beefing
up NY harbor. 10min of Brokaw touring the
million dollar beach front homes that are gone
in NJ.

An amazing show.
  • Jump to: