coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
August 7th, 2012 at 6:14:18 PM permalink
Just got back from my second visit to Vegas.

Once again I rented a car the whole time there from DOLLAR Rent a Car. This time I booked it as soon as I knew I was going(2 months ahead) and got my confirmation number which gets its own NOTE PAD spot on the iPhone. I also signed up for DOLLARS express membership online which took less than 5 minutes....once sent in you get a membership number ( also on the NOTE PAD for reference) . When I got to the rental car building I went to DOLLARS booth and they were lined up around 40 people in line....read the sign saying EXPRESS members proceed outside to booth there..... did that, nobody outside waiting...took less than 5 minutes to confirm stuff and away I went.

This time I had booked a Taurus but ended up with a Crown Vic......booked from Thursday to Monday to avoid the more expensive weekly rate... Monday dropped off the gang at the South Outlet Mall and took that car back and got the second reservation filled with a Taurus for the day ( again using the outside EXPRESS lane was a short 5 minute deal there)
Total rental cost $163 for the trip

Dollar gives you a confirmation number without you giving them your credit card ....so if you end up changing plans you just cancel the reservation... or like I did changed it when I checked and noticed a lower rate a few days later

I dont toot companys horns very often but so far I have been impressed with DOLLAR RENT A CAR IN VEGAS

Your mileage may differ
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
August 7th, 2012 at 6:22:20 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

Dollar gives you a confirmation number without you giving them your credit card ....so if you end up changing plans you just cancel the reservation... or like I did changed it when I checked and noticed a lower rate a few days later

It works with any car rental company ... even if they ask for a credit card. The reservations are never prepaid, and there is no cancellation penalty.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 7th, 2012 at 6:24:47 PM permalink
I've found Hotwire gets me the best deals lately.
You could have got that car or a similar model
for $127, I just checked. The trick with Hotwire
is to reserve about 3 weeks before, at most. The closer
you get to your arrival date the cheaper the price,
up to a point.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 7th, 2012 at 6:32:17 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

It works with any car rental company ... even if they ask for a credit card. The reservations are never prepaid, and there is no cancellation penalty.

This is not always correct. I have prepaid to get an additional % off at times. It varies from company to company. If you use Priceline and 'name your own price' you pay the entire amount up front, non refundable.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
August 7th, 2012 at 8:19:26 PM permalink
I rent a car almost every weekend...
$75 -$25 rebate ($50 total price)
Pick my full size car up at 4pm on Thursday, and return it at midnight on Sunday...
Got lucky a few weeks ago when I really needed an SUV...i got hooked up with a Subaru Forrester...
Usually just get a Camry or fusion though..
Edit: I get this through Avis, with a little investigative work (coupons)
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 7th, 2012 at 9:42:13 PM permalink
They still had a Crown Vic in the fleet?!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
August 7th, 2012 at 9:47:34 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

They still had a Crown Vic in the fleet?!

yep a bunch of them...... the also had a lot of Altimas but most were missing the keys....guess lots forget to take the key out of their pocket when they turn them in.....when they see the charge to replace that key they might not take one of them next time

Crown Vic made by Canadian Auto Workers..... I used to make the Chrysler minivans years ago so take cars made by Canadian Auto Workers when I can

Again the BIG THING HERE is to join the EXPRESS CLUB to avoid standing in those very slow moving lines
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
August 8th, 2012 at 7:45:42 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

This is not always correct. I have prepaid to get an additional % off at times. It varies from company to company. If you use Priceline and 'name your own price' you pay the entire amount up front, non refundable.

Yes, OTAs may charge you sometimes. Especially, the "secret provider" type of deals, which are always prepaid (and are usually worse than you could book elsewhere).

I was talking about standard practices, particularly, renting directly through the company. Yes, sometimes, you could be offered a discount for prepaying or something as a special, but that would be clearly stated in the "deal" description.
By default, car reservations are not prepaid, and can be canceled for free.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 8th, 2012 at 7:52:46 AM permalink
Quote: coilman

Crown Vic made by Canadian Auto Workers..... I used to make the Chrysler minivans years ago so take cars made by Canadian Auto Workers when I can

My dad loved the Panther cars. He said they were "responsive." I said they rode nice but were like driving a waterbed. FoMoCo surely got their moneys worth from the paltform. I didn't know they were last made in Canada, though I know they moved productiion around over the years.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: