Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 167
January 3rd, 2020 at 9:40:43 AM permalink
A few years ago, my friend looked into teaching positions in Vegas. He had ten years in the NYC school system and had qualified for his pension. A head hunter recruited him with the promise he would retain his senior teaching position and the salary increases that go with it. It was for a year round position and the salary was half what he made in NY. Same in Phoenix and Santa Fe. He ended up taking a year off and teaching dependents on an Army base in Japan.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 71
January 3rd, 2020 at 10:56:24 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

A teacher that started in when I was in HS. She has 23 years experience with a master's degree. She teaches calculus, physics, and AP physics. She is currently making $65,750. Bleh.

I am not saying they are getting rich. I think $65k is a fair wage for most people. If she was married to another teacher they would be around $130k. A very good income for a couple.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
January 3rd, 2020 at 1:22:13 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

It must be the school/district you are teaching in. When I married Mrs. Joeman in 2012, she had been teaching for 8 years. I was appalled to find out how little she was making. In what other occupation can you have a master's degree, get a job in your field, and not even sniff $40k/year after 8 years of service?

Since a teacher only works 9 months a year you cannot compare it direct to year round jobs.

Cry me a river if you like but if the pay is so low why would someone take a Masters Degree with such a low pay ceiling?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
February 28th, 2020 at 10:31:25 PM permalink
Speaking of Walmart and it's competition with Amazon, the figures are in. Amazon spent 11 billion dollars last year just on shipping. They offer Amazon Prime 2 day delivery in 10 countries now. India, Japan, France, Germany, the UK, among others. They say they're losing money and will for quite a while. Just like Jeff Bezos did when he started Amazon, it made no profit for at least a decade.

I had Amazon deliveries 4 days this week so far, got one tomorrow and got an Amazon Pantry on Monday. Amazon pantry is amazing. You spend $35 and buy 15 items you get 15% off. For grocery items that's a huge discount. When I have a delivery coming, when it's 10 stops away they alert me and a map pops up that shows where the truck is. And it's always right in my neighborhood I mean two or three streets away, that's how many people order from Amazon. Now imagine this in crowded countries India and Japan. It's mind-boggling.

I've read the people were just as amazed after the Civil War when Sears Roebuck started sending these huge catalogs to everybody's house and you could order something and have it delivered. But you pay the delivery fee, it wasn't free. And it was the opposite of fast. But you got it eventually, that's what counted.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 22
February 28th, 2020 at 11:10:14 PM permalink
I just ordered a couple 3 packs of toothpaste and shampoo at WalMart.com because those items are not sold in stores anymore, anywhere. #CoronavirusShopping
I picked up a 200 count box of those blue Nitrile gloves and 3 boxes of Wet Wipes (individually wrapped so I can put them in my coat pocket).

I've gotten 3 dozen cans of canned goods at another store. I'm gonna have to buy a dozen 2 liter bottles of diet soda in case I have to use them for water bottles later.

I've picked up a few months supply of toilet paper & paper towels.
I bought a push cart for shopping in case my car bites the dust either because there's no gas or no car parts.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 264
February 29th, 2020 at 2:30:53 AM permalink
Quote: Minty

That's awful. I honestly believe people need to be taught some kind of financial literacy. It's not like the resources aren't out there, but even a class or two in high school would do wonders.

Yeah, long time ago kids were complaining that high school did not teach them how to balance a checkbook but that they did learn that the mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell.

A kindergarten teacher who hated kids?
Teachers become teachers for Power and Pensions, June, July and August are just "frosting".

Amazon dropped a delivery contract recently intending to use their own trucks and drivers, so this regional trucking company just told employees to leave packages and trucks wherever they were and go home, all employees are terminated.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
February 29th, 2020 at 5:18:59 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Yeah, long time ago kids were complaining that high school did not teach them how to balance a checkbook but that they did learn that the mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell.

A kindergarten teacher who hated kids?
Teachers become teachers for Power and Pensions, June, July and August are just "frosting".

Amazon dropped a delivery contract recently intending to use their own trucks and drivers, so this regional trucking company just told employees to leave packages and trucks wherever they were and go home, all employees are terminated.

I was going to work a few weeks ago and saw like 10 dark full size vans at a stoplight. I thought for sure the feds had me this time. But they were not all black Econolines. They were Rams with Amazon on the side. The distribution center was just up the road. I swear when it lets out ant they are like that it looks like some movie.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
February 29th, 2020 at 8:23:56 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I learned how to balance a checkbook in 5th grade.

That was the only financial education I ever had in the public education system. No wonder so many people are broke and in debt.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
Thanks for this post from:
Calder
February 29th, 2020 at 10:46:46 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am not saying they are getting rich. I think $65k is a fair wage for most people. If she was married to another teacher they would be around $130k. A very good income for a couple.

I believe a full time teacher in my local school district works 180 school days a year. 185 are scheduled but they build in 5 'snow' days a year. My son the computer programmer works 235 days a year. I think at $65k for those 180 days it is a great job for a couple to each have. Off July and August just has a value that is hard to quantify.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
February 29th, 2020 at 11:28:54 AM permalink
I know a few teachers... they don't just work the school days; a lot of times they're working on weekends doing whatever to get caught up or to prepare, and sometimes work for several weeks in the summer before school starts to get prepared for the upcoming year. So, a 180 day school year realistically probably equates to somewhere in the low 200's of working days, easily.

That's what I'm told, anyway. Maybe the teachers I know just like to stay busy.

• Jump to: