AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
January 2nd, 2020 at 4:32:36 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

There was a time in the 70ís and 80ís where teachers got insane contracts.

A big part of the reason teachers make so little now is that districts are scrambling to pay pensions.

Both my parents became teachers in the 70ís and along with making some good financial decisions along the way, are now stupidly wealthy in retirement for having been public school teachers.

Make so little? Most are paid very well in most places I have seen. It can take a few years, but so do most jobs.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
January 2nd, 2020 at 7:22:09 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Make so little? Most are paid very well in most places I have seen. It can take a few years, but so do most jobs.

That is my understanding too. I have a niece that is a teacher in Chicago with about 10 years experience and some advanced testing. I would guess she makes about $60k which isn't bad for a 30 year old.

My father retired at 48 years old from teaching and gets a full salary pension equal to his last year salary plus some adjustments. He has collected that for the last 36 years.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 422
January 2nd, 2020 at 9:08:16 PM permalink

Make so little? Most are paid very well

I knew a Kindergarten teacher 30 years
ago who was making $55K and working
9 months a year. She was always complaining
about being broke. She always had a new
car, took hugely expensive vacations in
the summer, and ate out 7 days a week
or had food delivered. Her kitchen
was never used, she kept shoes in the
oven and the stove was covered in books.
She lived way above her means.

She bought a new Cadillac in the 80's
and when the oil light came on she
ignored it and burnt up the engine.
She was a real piece of work. Couldn't
stand kids, yet she was a kid teacher.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
January 3rd, 2020 at 12:34:20 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

That's awful. I honestly believe people need to be taught some kind of financial literacy. It's not like the resources aren't out there, but even a class or two in high school would do wonders.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
January 3rd, 2020 at 12:34:20 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

That's awful. I honestly believe people need to be taught some kind of financial literacy. It's not like the resources aren't out there, but even a class or two in high school would do wonders.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
January 3rd, 2020 at 5:00:53 AM permalink
Quote: Minty

If I had my way we would only teach Algebra II to STEM bound and teach the rest some real consumer and business math. I do not mean the "Consumer Math" of my day which was warehousing for burnouts. I mean by the time they come out they could calculate compound interest (P+I)^T and do a semi-complex 1040 form by hand.

Sadly the teacher above would not benefit. Sounds like she was raised a "princess" and never learned about the value of money. Some people are like this and even admit it. The men blow it on cars and big stuff, the women on scads of smaller stuff. I just had a training class a woman taught. Nice woman. Smart. Knew her job. But told the class how her credit was strained because of all she bought.

Now, this woman is about 53! By that age you gotta be getting near debt free for life. I just SMH and think how my 1st will be paid in months and my place produces revenue from the 2nd unit. All while I hear of what people are dropping on stupid crap.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
January 3rd, 2020 at 5:49:32 AM permalink

It must be the school/district you are teaching in. When I married Mrs. Joeman in 2012, she had been teaching for 8 years. I was appalled to find out how little she was making. In what other occupation can you have a master's degree, get a job in your field, and not even sniff $40k/year after 8 years of service?

Quote: AxelWolf

My old shop vac finally want the crap, and now I'm super happy it did. at the time I thought my old shop vac was a good, but I now realize that it sucked.

Isn't that what they are supposed to do? ;P
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 44
January 3rd, 2020 at 6:55:39 AM permalink

It varies bigly by district.

Somewhere in the range of $35k is a typical starting salary for teachers in many areas.

Considering you usually need to have a masters degree or be enrolled in a masters program, itís pretty far below average compared to other professions.

Being able to work a part time job during the summer offsets it a little bit, but not by much.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
January 3rd, 2020 at 7:19:15 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

It varies bigly by district.

Somewhere in the range of $35k is a typical starting salary for teachers in many areas.

Considering you usually need to have a masters degree or be enrolled in a masters program, itís pretty far below average compared to other professions.

Being able to work a part time job during the summer offsets it a little bit, but not by much.

I think very few public school districts require a Master's for a starting teacher. The advanced education is encouraged while you are working and generally the pay will go up as you take more education classes.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 3rd, 2020 at 9:07:59 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

That is my understanding too. I have a niece that is a teacher in Chicago with about 10 years experience and some advanced testing. I would guess she makes about $60k which isn't bad for a 30 year old.

My father retired at 48 years old from teaching and gets a full salary pension equal to his last year salary plus some adjustments. He has collected that for the last 36 years.

Chicago is not representative of teacher salaries across the country. Most states are terrible. I would consider teaching in Illinois for the pay because it's likely the best in the Midwest, but definitely not Missouri. It mainly boils down to topics we are no longer supposed to discuss here that largely determine teachers' pay.

A teacher that started in when I was in HS. She has 23 years experience with a master's degree. She teaches calculus, physics, and AP physics. She is currently making $65,750. Bleh.

• Jump to: