6 votes (75%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

8 members have voted

ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
March 14th, 2011 at 5:39:32 PM permalink
This is an actual quote from a currently-running major media program. It is in context, and after some folks have voted, I will provide a media link that's 6:00 long so as to remove any and all doubt that it is in context.

Quote: Mystery

I would say that the threat potentially from radicalized muslims is a unique and greater threat. It's the greatest threat. Let me give you the reasons why. One, it's been going on a thousand years, this problem between Islam and the west. We are dealing with a culture that is in its medieval era. It comes from a hate-filled holy book, the Koran, which is take very literally by its people. They are trying to get nuclear weapons. I don't think Tim McVeigh would ever have tried to get a nuclear weapon because, I think, right-wing nuts, they think they love this country and they are not trying to destroy this country. They want to get it away from people they see as hijacking it; that's different than Muslim extremists who want to destroy. And also, it's a culture of suicide bombing, which is hard to deter from people who want to kill themselves.

PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
March 14th, 2011 at 5:45:44 PM permalink
I wouldn't have a clue who said it. And I'm probably going to get ripped for this, but I don't see anything offensive about it. With the possible exception of the characterization of the Koran as "hate filled." And that might just be because I don't know jack about the Koran.
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
  • Threads: 21
March 14th, 2011 at 6:09:53 PM permalink
Quote: PapaChubby

I wouldn't have a clue who said it. And I'm probably going to get ripped for this, but I don't see anything offensive about it. With the possible exception of the characterization of the Koran as "hate filled." And that might just be because I don't know jack about the Koran.

Nothing offensive to me either, pretty accurate statement actually.
EvenBob: "Look America, I have a tiny wee-wee, can anybody help me?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 15th, 2011 at 2:32:48 AM permalink
I saw a clip of Bill Maher saying something very similar over the weekend.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 15th, 2011 at 2:54:58 AM permalink
I would have put Glenn Beck if it was a choice.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 15th, 2011 at 4:53:13 AM permalink
Maybe its just my old age but I simply don't care anymore.
I've never considered one side in the Middle East to be any better than the other.
And often they've joined forces: Look at the battle for the Golan Heights. Money went from the USA to Israeli accounts in Switzerland and then into Swiss bank accounts of Assad who was then the area military commander. He ordered his troops back a certain distance, several hours later the Israelis advanced and each side issued press releases about an intense battle.

Just look at the pirates in the Indian Ocean... generally Somali and Yemini but the ransom money can wind up in the accounts of the Somalis or the Russian Mafia or just about anyone. Its not One Side. Its rarely one side to any question.

Our history is that the Spice Trade in distant lands offered untold wealth. Begging licenses in Spanish cities often showed the spice trade as the sole motivation. The spice trade often involved hijackings and murders but often involved ransoms too. Often once a ransom was paid the religious order would then charge an additional ransom. Many European religious orders were nothing but a means to control a segment of the highway in the Spice Trade. Religion was always the excuse. Money and power were always the real reasons. The Crusades? Money and power, not religion.

So now there is much talk of Islam. Well, Europe had its Dish Cities. Nothing has changed. Nothing will change.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
March 15th, 2011 at 7:14:06 AM permalink
The giveaway is "right-wing nuts." No way is it one of the right-wing nuts listed. :P

Maher is very anti-religious, no matter which religion it is. At least he is an equal-opportunity hater in that respect.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
  • Jump to: