Poll

4 votes (18.18%)
18 votes (81.81%)

22 members have voted

FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 119
February 23rd, 2011 at 11:15:05 AM permalink
I just got back from meeting my wife for lunch. As we were leaving, I had to go to her car to grab something. We both got to the car, and another car followed us and was waiting for the spot.

I went into the glove compartment, grabbed what I needed, and went to give my wife a goodbye kiss. Before I could, the car that was waiting started honking at us, telling us to hurry up.

I gave my wife a kiss (The whole time I was in the car was about 20 seconds) got out of the car and yelled "Hold your $%#! horses" at the other car.

I say that the other driver being in a hurry is not my problem, I needed to be in the car for 20 seconds. Some might say that I should be more courteous and tried to go faster.

What say you?
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
February 23rd, 2011 at 11:19:19 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

What say you?

Do what you need to do, as best you can do it, but be nice. You might have instead told him: "We'll be finished here in just a second, I apologize for the delay."

"Living well is the best revenge" ... (George Herbert)

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 23rd, 2011 at 11:30:16 AM permalink
You're both at fault.

The other guy for being too impatient, and you for cussing him out (unless you recognized mkl or JL). You could have instead just taken your sweet time getting out, the better to infuriate the jerk. There are many ways to get back at someone, the best don't involve swearing or physical violence.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
February 23rd, 2011 at 12:16:36 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

You could have instead just taken your sweet time getting out, the better to infuriate the jerk.

We don't know who others are. I would never make an assumption that taking direct action to infuriate someone would not lead to violence.

If someone shows such a clear sign of anger, either have a bigger gun, or be nice.

Nareed, you usually are so sensical (which isn't a word, but should be).

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Nareed
Nareed
February 23rd, 2011 at 12:41:42 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

We don't know who others are. I would never make an assumption that taking direct action to infuriate someone would not lead to violence.

Very unlikely in a parking lot with both participants in their car. Getting out and swearing at the other driver makes violence more likely.

Quote:

Nareed, you usually are so sensical (which isn't a word, but should be).

It does sound like a word. Are you sure it isn't?

In the OP's place I'd have just ignored the other driver and left as if he wasn't leaning on the horn.

But if I wanted to get back at him, I'd pull out veeeeeeeeeeeery sloooooooooowwwwwwwllllllly. If he made me really mad, I'd get out of the car, close the door and say "Oh, sorry. I wasn't leaving just yet."

I usually just ignore them. If they're in such a hurry, they can look for another spot.

Sensical enough? :)
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
February 23rd, 2011 at 12:47:58 PM permalink

It does sound like a word. Are you sure it isn't?

Yes, "sensical" is not a word. Some will argue that sensical makes sense as a neologism.

As per your misguided revenge advice, it appears that you have never drawn a weapon... nor does it appear that you have encountered someone in a public place who threatened real and imminent violence against your person... it's not a fun time... let me just say that if I could have screamed louder, I would have...

--Ms. D.
Nareed
Nareed
February 23rd, 2011 at 1:10:28 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

Yes, "sensical" is not a word. Some will argue that sensical makes sense as a neologism.

Hmm. There's some work to do, then.

Quote:

As per your misguided revenge advice, it appears that you have never drawn a weapon... nor does it appear that you have encountered someone in a public place who threatened real and imminent violence against your person... it's not a fun time... let me just say that if I could have screamed louder, I would have...

I was once robbed at gunpoint. I think the gun was either a prop or not loaded, but I acted on that only so far as to deny I had any money hidden on me (which I did).
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
February 23rd, 2011 at 2:44:21 PM permalink
I see you live in the St. Louis area. Maybe your recent nasty weather has made everyone a little on edge.

Nareed has it right.

You're both at fault.

The other guy for being too impatient, and you for cussing him out (unless you recognized mkl or JL). You could have instead just taken your sweet time getting out, the better to infuriate the jerk. There are many ways to get back at someone, the best don't involve swearing or physical violence.

I would have deliberately given my Wife the longest kiss possible;), stayed in the car while she backed out very carefully and then have her drive me back to my car or back to the office.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Nareed
Nareed
February 23rd, 2011 at 3:08:12 PM permalink
Quote: ten2win

Nareed has it right.

I'm always right, except on those occasions when I'm not :P
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
February 23rd, 2011 at 3:36:01 PM permalink

I'm always right, except on those occasions when I'm not :P

What a nasty society we live in here in America, where people actually discuss ways of being rude as somehow being "right." Here in KS, we'd just shoot you.

KS concealed weapons law ...

Danger on campus ...

Let those who cannot see shoot first ...

Yeah, good idea, just incite the driver. No doubt he's carrying in KS.

I'm out of this thread ...

--Ms. D.

• Jump to: