MrPapagiorgio
MrPapagiorgio
  • Threads: 58
November 18th, 2009 at 2:14:45 PM permalink
Just curious what software you are using. It should be ok for now, but I like the vbulletin and phpbb products better. They have some added features like who's online, showing how many visitors etc., that gives a little more community interaction. Any reason why you guys selected this one?
So I says to him, I said "Get your own monkey!"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
November 20th, 2009 at 2:48:31 PM permalink
We rolled our own software. Back when we were first discussed the site idea we had a long discussion about the pros and cons of writing your own software and getting something off the shelf. In the end we decided to write our own because of greater speed and control.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
MrPapagiorgio
MrPapagiorgio
December 3rd, 2009 at 4:50:36 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

We rolled our own software. Back when we were first discussed the site idea we had a long discussion about the pros and cons of writing your own software and getting something off the shelf. In the end we decided to write our own because of greater speed and control.

I respect your decision, but think you could get a lot more mileage from vb. For starters it has features such as new thread reply notification, user profiles, view threads by user, view posts by user, whos online, most online today, thread subscriptions, search engine friendly urls (they list the forum subject and forum name within the url itself, which is a huge google boost), and then there are user blogs which can increase your google traffic by a good margin if you get some serious gamers posting some pretty good blogs. Return traffic will also pick up if users receive email notifications that a thread they started or posted in have gotten replies. There is also a built in RSS feed so users can keep up on new posts in their news readers and such, and they won't be limited to the last 12 posts on the main page. All of these features are just scratching the surface of the benefits. Anyway, that's my firm opinion as an experienced forum operator of 10 years. It's not too late, you can always import posts, and I'm betting you eventually will (I'll give you fair odds).
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
December 3rd, 2009 at 8:29:16 AM permalink
Quote: MrPapagiorgio

I respect your decision, but think you could get a lot more mileage from vb. For starters it has features such as new thread reply notification, user profiles, view threads by user, view posts by user, whos online, most online today, thread subscriptions, search engine friendly urls (they list the forum subject and forum name within the url itself, which is a huge google boost), and then there are user blogs which can increase your google traffic by a good margin if you get some serious gamers posting some pretty good blogs. Return traffic will also pick up if users receive email notifications that a thread they started or posted in have gotten replies. There is also a built in RSS feed so users can keep up on new posts in their news readers and such, and they won't be limited to the last 12 posts on the main page. All of these features are just scratching the surface of the benefits. Anyway, that's my firm opinion as an experienced forum operator of 10 years. It's not too late, you can always import posts, and I'm betting you eventually will (I'll give you fair odds).

We will be adding more features in the near future such as user profiles, email notification, and search capabilities. Search engine friendly URL's have been in place since the beginning.
MrPapagiorgio
MrPapagiorgio
December 3rd, 2009 at 9:15:16 AM permalink
Quote: JB

Quote: MrPapagiorgio

We will be adding more features in the near future such as user profiles, email notification, and search capabilities. Search engine friendly URL's have been in place since the beginning.

Nice work on the recent posts link :)
  • Jump to: