rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 162
December 19th, 2015 at 2:23:23 PM permalink
Quote: teliot

Yes, it has been spectacular. Inflation under 2%, unemployment down from 10% to 5%, stock market doubled, gays allowed in military, marriage equality, nationalized health care, relations with Cuba and Iran almost normalized, Climate deal just concluded, Gas under $2, housing market rebounded, etc... sadly nothing done to reign in the NRA nor has Guantanamo been closed. Those are two failures, but not for lack of trying.

Actually, this was the excellent post. For the most part Obama met or exceeded expectations for success that I had which were reasonable.

Of course, I'm using many rightwingers actual predictions for Obama for first and second terms to compare. I have no idea where the economy should be after the worse downturn since '29, but they seem to believe they would have done better by this time.

No telling, but sure wouldn't take their predictions as being worth much. There's way too many variables to know anyway.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 0
December 24th, 2015 at 11:07:12 AM permalink
I didnt vote for Obama but think he deserves credit for at least trying on some things. Health care, Iran, Cuba, and other things - all issues that Republicans refuse to address. He might not have had the right ideas but at least he tried. Republican's just refuse to admit a problem and then talk about who they want to bomb next. Trump is the only one talking about trade issues with countries. The others don't even know what that means. All they know is taxes and we're gonna cut government waste. Over 67% of the federal budget is social security, medicare, defense, and interest on the debt. None of them are proposing cutting any of that. Where are they going to find this waste?

Overall Obama will go down as a failure for this one reason only. Under his watch, the gap between rich and poor has risen exponentially. The middle class is being wiped out. I sell cars. The middle class isn't buying anything. We sell more cars at $50k than $20k. The few "normal everyday" cars are being bought by people with bad credit because that's what the banks are pushing again. Hardly anybody under 30 can buy a car without help from their parents. It will colapse again just like in 2008. I'm 31. I bought a very small townhouse 4 years ago. I would not be able to purchase the same house now. New townhouses are selling for $400k where I live. I'm sure it's all highly leveraged purchases. There was no substance to this supposed recovery. The stock market is at all time highs but what percentage of Americans actually have any appreciable wealth in the stock market? I would venture to say less than 10%.
HeySlick
HeySlick
  • Threads: 3
December 24th, 2015 at 8:45:01 PM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog

I didnt vote for Obama but think he deserves credit for at least trying on some things. Health care, Iran, Cuba, and other things - all issues that Republicans refuse to address. He might not have had the right ideas but at least he tried. Republican's just refuse to admit a problem and then talk about who they want to bomb next. Trump is the only one talking about trade issues with countries. The others don't even know what that means. All they know is taxes and we're gonna cut government waste. Over 67% of the federal budget is social security, medicare, defense, and interest on the debt. None of them are proposing cutting any of that. Where are they going to find this waste?

Overall Obama will go down as a failure for this one reason only. Under his watch, the gap between rich and poor has risen exponentially. The middle class is being wiped out. I sell cars. The middle class isn't buying anything. We sell more cars at $50k than $20k. The few "normal everyday" cars are being bought by people with bad credit because that's what the banks are pushing again. Hardly anybody under 30 can buy a car without help from their parents. It will colapse again just like in 2008. I'm 31. I bought a very small townhouse 4 years ago. I would not be able to purchase the same house now. New townhouses are selling for $400k where I live. I'm sure it's all highly leveraged purchases. There was no substance to this supposed recovery. The stock market is at all time highs but what percentage of Americans actually have any appreciable wealth in the stock market? I would venture to say less than 10%.

I'm only replying to your excellent verbiage in the bottom paragraph. The points you so eloquently brought forth will never be addressed - Unfortunately most individuals within this site are pro-Obama and refuse to accept other VERY valid points. Back in my working days I used to be a Car Salesman, mainly new GM vehicles. It sure helps to have a gift of gab. My best month I sold 14 cars - my overall average was 8-10 cars a month.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 30
December 25th, 2015 at 8:06:25 AM permalink
It's true that income and wealth inequality has gotten worse under Obama, but to blame him is sophomoric. He's just continuing the trend that has already been going on for decades. Inequality exploded under Clinton and Bush. That was going on well before Obama.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

People are generally partisan. Democrats won't admit any fault of Obama, just like Republicans won't admit any fault of Republicans. It's the same on both sides.
HeySlick
HeySlick
February 12th, 2016 at 7:09:31 AM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

It's true that income and wealth inequality has gotten worse under Obama, but to blame him is sophomoric. He's just continuing the trend that has already been going on for decades. Inequality exploded under Clinton and Bush. That was going on well before Obama.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

People are generally partisan. Democrats won't admit any fault of Obama, just like Republicans won't admit any fault of Republicans. It's the same on both sides.

IMO
You're completely wrong/mistaken -- I contend his absolute incompetence before and during his entire Presidency has been ignored, because of his ethnicity. He vowed to 'transform' America and, in reality he's done just the opposite.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
February 12th, 2016 at 7:41:52 AM permalink
Okay, which part of the graphs do you think is "completely wrong"? You think that the inequality trend *wasn't* already established with Clinton and Bush? If not, what's your source?
HeySlick
HeySlick
February 12th, 2016 at 7:55:09 AM permalink
The graph has NO bearing on my remarks - he's incompetent and the sooner his Presidency ends the better for the country in general. IMO the worst President in modern day history.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
February 12th, 2016 at 8:18:37 AM permalink
I made an assertion, and supported them with graphs.

You replied, "You're completely wrong/mistaken."

So again, what part am I "completely wrong/mistaken" about? If you can't answer, then why did you say I was "completely wrong/mistaken"?
HeySlick
HeySlick
February 12th, 2016 at 8:29:28 AM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

I made an assertion, and supported them with graphs.

You replied, "You're completely wrong/mistaken."

So again, what part am I "completely wrong/mistaken" about? If you can't answer, then why did you say I was "completely wrong/mistaken"?

We have different perspectives on his overall competence. He's divided the country on racial lines and that isn't good on SO many fronts. Hopefully our next President won't carry on with Obamas unfinished agenda (s).
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
February 12th, 2016 at 8:44:19 AM permalink
I blame Obama for NOTHING. I blame the mindless idiots that voted for a man with no business or real-world experience at ANYTHING! Except dividing people.

• Jump to: