16 votes (50%)
16 votes (50%)

32 members have voted

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 17th, 2010 at 4:36:20 AM permalink
Quote: Chuck

Yeah, she would have sent in the Dutch. "The Dutch and the Norwegian. They are known for dikes and for cleaning up water and for dealing with spills." That's some real mastery of world affairs right there, that is.

WAIT A MINUTE...! Was she saying foreigners are better than Americans?

She would probably meet with the best people in the industry, not "the best in academia" as Obama said he was meeting with. She would have the sense to tell Federal Agencies when there is a disaster you don't worry if the booms are the right sizwe and color for federal guidelines-you use what you have; she would not worry if burning the oil off would cause a little air pollution-she would let them burn it off as the disastrer plan in place called for; and she would not have waited well over a month to meet with BP-heck, she was used to meeting and working wilt them ia AK.

I don't see why you are upset she might have taken offers of foreign help. And I also don't see the point at all in your last sentence. Perhaps you can tell us all your meaning?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Chuck
Chuck
  • Threads: 4
July 17th, 2010 at 4:48:00 AM permalink
Her actual response is on the record.

Nothing upsets me. Merely pointing out that she would have called in the Dutch and Norwegian to stick their finger in the dike. It conflicts with her ideological pillar of "American Exceptionalism." You mean to tell me that the Dutch are better than Americans at ANYTHING (except soccer)?
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
July 17th, 2010 at 5:20:06 AM permalink
I voted to allow "political trolls" but I would like to revise and extend that vote to include a requirement that they keep their trolling to the appropriate part of the forum AND that they maintain civility. For example, I don't want to see stuff like this when I read comments:

"You are an absolute freakin' moron if you think (insert Obama or Palin, as your leanings lead you) is smarter than a fifth grader. She is a stupid red-necked women...He isn't an American."

I don't like name calling because it doesn't help prove the case one way or the other. If you call another forum member names, you should be tossed. If you call someone you oppose names as you state your position on an issue, it weakens your case.

Anyway...maybe I don't really want "political trolls" but I do enjoy political discourse...
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 17th, 2010 at 5:21:23 AM permalink
Sigh another forum ruined by politics, and the differences between us, rather than nurtured by the similarities between us.

Oh well. It happens a lot.
A falling knife has no handle.
RonC
RonC
July 17th, 2010 at 5:27:33 AM permalink
That doesn't mean you can't call someone out for making an idiotic statement...Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee stated this on the floor of the House the other day:

"I stand here asking us to do what we did not in do in Vietnam, was to recognize the valiant and outstanding service of our men and women,and to understand that victory had been achieved."

"Today, we have two Vietnams, side by side, North and South, exchanging and working. We may not agree with all that North Vietnam is doing, but they are living in peace. I would look for a better human rights record for North Vietnam, but they are living side by side."

It went on longer than that (it is on YouTube) and was pretty embarrassing to watch.

When they make a speech full of mistakes like this one or they say things like "we have to pass the bill to see what it is in it" (it isn't a box of Cracker Jacks, ma'am!) ON EITHER SIDE OF THE ISSUES, they should be called out.
Chuck
Chuck
  • Threads: 4
July 17th, 2010 at 5:32:22 AM permalink
It's not so bad as long as it's contained to one area. The problem is, Repubs are obsessed, they bathe in talk radio all day, and so it bleeds out elsewhere, like discussions of placing the 6 and 8.

On the whole, though, I'd agree for a niche site like this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a voluntary no-politics policy, because in the current political environment, it tends to pollute the vibe. So I'm declaring victory and refraining from additional political discussion.

But I applaud the Wizard for being a free-speech kinda guy.
RonC
RonC
July 17th, 2010 at 5:47:53 AM permalink
I respectfully disagree. I think this forum can do just fine with a little politics in the "Free Speech Zone" as long as we follow the old "do unto others" adage. If you and I disagree about something but we respect each others right to have an opinion, and we keep politics away from gaming discussions, we'll be fine.

The other alternative would be fine with me, too. Don't just ban "trolls" who only come in to disrupt things--ban ALL "trolls" and ALL "political statements".
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 17th, 2010 at 8:55:59 AM permalink
The problem with political discussions these days is they degenerate into character assassination of the other side, assuming they don't start out that way. This inevitably leads to flame wars and personal attacks.

Why bring that into this forum?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
July 17th, 2010 at 12:08:40 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

The problem with political discussions these days is they degenerate into character assassination of the other side, assuming they don't start out that way. This inevitably leads to flame wars and personal attacks.

Why bring that into this forum?

Then let's just all agree that Obama is an inexperienced Chicago thug that's destroying the fabric of this country who hates successful white businessmen and gets totally unravelled at any level of criticism....and leave it at that.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
July 17th, 2010 at 12:53:25 PM permalink
Does this forum have a preferences setting for "Ignore"; i.e., a setting by which I can designate that a particular member's postings don't even appear on my screen? I think I could fairly quickly determine whose posts to set that for and not need to actually ban the member. If we all chose to do that, that member wouldn't be a bother to anyone.

Is that possible, JB?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 17th, 2010 at 1:09:07 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Does this forum have a preferences setting for "Ignore"; i.e., a setting by which I can designate that a particular member's postings don't even appear on my screen?

Second!

Of course, pretty soon we'd have a JellyRogan posting the same stuff. But it's worth a shot.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 17th, 2010 at 1:39:34 PM permalink
Quote: Chuck

Her actual response is on the record.

Nothing upsets me. Merely pointing out that she would have called in the Dutch and Norwegian to stick their finger in the dike. It conflicts with her ideological pillar of "American Exceptionalism." You mean to tell me that the Dutch are better than Americans at ANYTHING (except soccer)?

I still do not see how accepting an offer of help from nations that have extra oil skimmers conflicts with American Exceptionalism. I might have a super well-trained fire department, but if a really big blaze starts I will surely call in a second or even third alarm.

I'd rather that than a leader apologizing to the world for what the USA has accomplished and thinking the USA is just another nation.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Doc
Doc
July 17th, 2010 at 1:45:03 PM permalink
Not wishing to start a flame war with anyone, I decline to say whom I would choose to "Ignore". But can't you see the humor in having a large portion of users setting their login status to completely ignore some troll and not even see his/her posts? Can you imagine how infuriating that would be to a troll? And he/she might not even know that his/her garbage wasn't being read.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
July 17th, 2010 at 2:12:26 PM permalink

Not wishing to start a flame war with anyone, I decline to say whom I would choose to "Ignore". But can't you see the humor in having a large portion of users setting their login status to completely ignore some troll and not even see his/her posts? Can you imagine how infuriating that would be to a troll? And he/she might not even know that his/her garbage wasn't being read.

Here's something even more infuriating to the whiner who puts people they disagree with but haven't the ability to debate them, on ignore: The particular post that unnerves them appears within a quoted reply.

And people wonder why Air America failed.
Doc
Doc
July 17th, 2010 at 3:24:19 PM permalink
Hey, Nareed:

Have you noticed that paranoia is on the rise?
ruascott
ruascott
  • Threads: 17
July 17th, 2010 at 3:56:24 PM permalink

Hey, Nareed:

Have you noticed that paranoia is on the rise?

Paranoia is one of the requisites to being an extremist. I think it was even mentioned in that article that was posted.

If the individual is someone I know and typically get along with, I'll attempt to talk them back from their ledge with some pragmatism. But for a stranger/troll online, the only answer is to just ignore them.
Doc
Doc
July 17th, 2010 at 4:17:53 PM permalink
Quote: ruascott

If the individual is someone I know and typically get along with, I'll attempt to talk them back from their ledge with some pragmatism. But for a stranger/troll online, the only answer is to just ignore them.

Just let a troll jump? I guess I could do that without remorse. I certainly wouldn't bother to correct, flame, or even respond to them.

I didn't bother to read the article that was posted. My apathy was running rampant.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
July 28th, 2010 at 8:13:05 PM permalink
Quote: JerryLogan

Here's something even more infuriating to the whiner who puts people they disagree with but haven't the ability to debate them, on ignore: The particular post that unnerves them appears within a quoted reply.

And people wonder why Air America failed.

It's not your opinions, it's that you go out of your way to insult other members. I think the moderator who tolerates your presence for free speech reasons is misunderstanding (especially when the forum is on their dime) that they are not required to provide a soapbox.

You should make Jerry pay to be here. He detracts more from the forum than contributes to it. Nothing useful he has said wouldn't have eventually been contributed by another member. We have conservative or liberal members here already, so we won't be deprived of any important opinions. So, free speech won't suffer.

But I have no idea why you tolerate him. If you wouldn't want to hang out with him, why worry about banning him? No matter what name he comes back under, you should send him on his way again and again when he starts acting the same way.

Jerry doesn’t seem to give a shit about anyone, so show him the response that deserves.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
July 28th, 2010 at 9:33:27 PM permalink
Poor baby....your feelings are hurt aren't they. But while you're pondering that tidbit, please provide support for the following assertion you just made: "Nothing useful he has said wouldn't have eventually been contributed by another member." BTW--Strategic insults make people think. You don't see me starting dumb threads about traffic laws or "need help with my finances before I go under!" In fact, the one thread I did start on tipping has been one of the heaviest viewed & responded to yet.

I submit that anyone using vulgarity when they become agitated, be banned. Why do you stay on if you're so unhappy and have the incessant need to curse?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
July 29th, 2010 at 12:18:53 AM permalink
If you guys really love Jerry, fine with me. I'd ban his ass.

He's not going to change his ways. He's obviously an old dog. No new tricks are coming. I see no reason to give him a second chance even in the remote chance that he promised to shape up.

I can do nothing obviously, as I don't run the site.

But if you just banned him quietly I don't think a lot of people would object, except maybe some of his troll-y made-up friends.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
July 29th, 2010 at 5:21:12 AM permalink
Tell me RX: Does the "wine" in your handle have anything to do with "whine"? And why can't you just post your thoughts without resorting to cursing and rants? It's offensive & unnecessary. How about addressing that?
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 29th, 2010 at 7:56:20 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

If you guys really love Jerry, fine with me. I'd ban his ass.

Not "his". "Its". It is a troll using "JerryLogan" so that you will imagine it as a person for purposes of interaction.
A falling knife has no handle.
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
July 29th, 2010 at 8:03:30 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Not "his". "Its". It is a troll using "JerryLogan" so that you will imagine it as a person for purposes of interaction.

Please explain how that contributes to anything.
  • Jump to: