AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
June 27th, 2010 at 7:33:14 AM permalink
This has been making the rounds, but in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQp8M0bkarM

This was an actual county supervisor who was speaking. How can you get to such a point in life not knowing the basic layout of the states in the USA? How could you speak without checking it if you were not sure?

But on a larger scale, how much of a problem is this in the USA? I think it is fdairly large. Myself I have had employees who could not read a roadmap. I don't expect you to know how to read a military grid or wilderness map, but how can you not know how to read a AAA/Rand-McNally roadmap? Survey claim something like 20% of High School Students cannot find the USA on a map.

Has anyone else run into this?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 27th, 2010 at 7:57:00 AM permalink
Eh, not surprised:

http://wizardofvegas.c/forum/off-topic/off-topic/1754-people-are-geography-challenged/
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
June 27th, 2010 at 8:27:40 AM permalink
This goes right along with my thread that People are math challenged.

My wife can't read a map to save her life. And doesn't even know basic geography. We live in Northern NJ. The first few times we went to AC, she didn't know the best route. I.E. She didn't know that the Garden State Parkway would be needed (about 120 miles of the 160 mile trip is on the Parkway). Coming home, she'd remember that we need to use the Parkway, but would be unsure if we go North or South. This is despite the fact that she DOES know we live in Northern New Jersey.

A few years ago got a job where she is often on the road. She'd call me, and I'd have to go on Google Maps and talk her thru. Then I got her a GPS. It was the best present I could have given her. Or me.

But that video? Clickable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQp8M0bkarM

I knew AZ borders Mexico, but I checked, since I figured maybe it's a short border, and that might be her excuse. The AZ / Mexico border is less than half as long as the Texas border, but longer than CA & NM combined. Yeah, she's an idiot. And it was funny the way the second person in that video was trying to not simply call her an idiot.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 27th, 2010 at 8:49:57 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

This goes right along with my thread that People are math challenged.

I remembered that thread and thus chose the header. I forgot the previous PAGC headline, though.

Quote:

I knew AZ borders Mexico, but I checked, since I figured maybe it's a short border, and that might be her excuse. The AZ / Mexico border is less than half as long as the Texas border, but longer than CA & NM combined. Yeah, she's an idiot. And it was funny the way the second person in that video was trying to not simply call her an idiot.

I find this similar to the guy who took racial offense at the use of the term "black hole." I don't expect people to know the technical stuff, but a basic understanding of things.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
June 27th, 2010 at 10:00:48 AM permalink
I was living in Atlanta in 1996 when the city hosted the summer Olympic Games. For about six months leading up to the games, there were telephone banks receiving orders for event tickets. One operator received a call from a customer in New Mexico and refused to accept the order. She told him he would need to contact his consul, saying the Atlanta staff were only set up to handle orders from within the US. The national media had a field day mocking the redneck Georgia yokels who didn't even know that New Mexico is part of the United States. They took every opportunity to criticize the public education system that would lead to such an error.

That spring I sent email to the editors of Time magazine, relating the story of the call center operator (whom they too had mocked) and commenting on Time's 4/29/96 article "The Tide Turns." A graphic accompanying that article had the southern states mis-labeled, showing Virginia as south of North Carolina. I suggested that perhaps the writers, illustrators, and editors at Time might be as geographically challenged as a Georgia yokel.

I received a very nice reply apologizing for the "mysterious but nontheless inexcusable error." They said, "We can assure you that an instructive geography-alert memo has been circulated." I think there was probably egg all over somebody's face in the editorial suite.

The whole thing amused me enough that I saved the email exchange. I mention it here to show that even those who really, really are supposed to know these things sometimes get stuff screwed up.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 27th, 2010 at 10:25:32 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I was living in Atlanta in 1996 when the city hosted the summer Olympic Games. For about six months leading up to the games, there were telephone banks receiving orders for event tickets. One operator received a call from a customer in New Mexico and refused to accept the order. She told him he would need to contact his consul, saying the Atlanta staff were only set up to handle orders from within the US. The national media had a field day mocking the redneck Georgia yokels who didn't even know that New Mexico is part of the United States. They took every opportunity to criticize the public education system that would lead to such an error.

I once had a high school teacher say years before, in the middle school, there was a fistfight over NM being a state or a country. If I was principal I'd have given one detention to each and a second to the one who thought it was a country.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 27th, 2010 at 10:28:52 AM permalink
FWIW the level of geographic knowledge is miserable all over the world.

Mexico City is made up of the Federal District, plus surrounding counties (I use the term for simplicity's sake) in the State of Mexico. One such is Naucalpan, which is about 300 yards from my workplace. To be sure it's a big county, but the farthest point shouldn't be more than 12 or 15 miles from where I work. Well, one time we were discussing a customer's location and someone said "But that's all the way over in Naucalpan!" He did have the grace to blush when 1) he was shown that far-off place from the office window and 2) learned the customer was about 3 miles away.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 27th, 2010 at 12:14:01 PM permalink
Try to get people to name half a dozen heads of state around the world.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
June 27th, 2010 at 12:51:47 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I find this similar to the guy who took racial offense at the use of the term "black hole."

Maybe he thought they were referring to the orifice in which his head was loacted.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 27th, 2010 at 12:57:29 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Maybe he thought they were referring to orifice where his head was.

What I find interesting about "black" is that it can mean good or bad. "Black <inseret day of week>" is bad, "Black Hole" is bad. But in many things, black = professional. Untilo the 1970s no serious bowler and certainly no pro would use anything but a black ball. Limos used to always be black. Photographers used bloack cameras despite the fact that using a dark colored camera outside would transmit more heat to the film, etc.

Though in college my grades went up after I stopped using the black highlighter......

Just an observation.

• Jump to: