Thread Rating:

7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
March 30th, 2011 at 10:26:50 AM permalink
Regarding Tiger's fall, the best comparison is probably to Shoeless Joe. Tiger was otherwise unique in that his fall came during his prime, when he had well established himself as a premier athlete. (Shoeless Joe still has the third highest career batting average in history, so he's as close as you'll come to Tiger.) Pete Rose and OJ Simpson fell after their careers were over -- their career accomplishments were more viewed negatively than cut short. You can probably add Barry Bonds to that group, the way things are turning out with him.

A contrast could be made to athletes who died in plane crashes before their careers were over, such as Thurman Munson, Payne Stewart and Roberto Clemente. Unlike these folks, but similar to Pete Rose and perhaps Bonds, Tiger was all along living a lifestyle that was pernicious to his long-term success. It was a matter of time before it caught up to him.

One problem Tiger has regards forming an identity. He can't be all-out golf and hookers and nothing else the way he used to be. (Maybe he could do this, but he claims to be sorry for all the hookers. If he goes back on this people will dislike him even more.) He can't just flip a switch and be a family man like Phil Mickelson. It's probably too early to be a "comeback kid" -- no one really thinks he's an underdog at this point. But his abilities slowly keep sliding down the bell curve due to age. He has to find some skin to be comfortable in.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 30th, 2011 at 11:26:22 AM permalink
Quote: 7outlineaway

One problem Tiger has regards forming an identity. He can't be all-out golf and hookers and nothing else the way he used to be.

He would probably be better off if it was hookers. The public would probably be more forgiving, as it would be seen as just an indulgence.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
March 30th, 2011 at 11:34:32 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Whatever the proper name is for shooting at still or moving targets with a gun?

Quote: teddys

I was going to say archery, but I don't think that's an NCAA sport (does that matter?), so I will say riflery, and hope you went to West Virginia or Alaska-Anchorage.

Dang! I didn't think the question was going to be that easy! Or was my reference to "clutch shots" a giveaway? Yes, riflery, and you'd better believe that the yips could destroy performance. No, I was not at WVU (though I think we competed against them) nor at Alaska-Anchorage. At the time that I was in college, I think the premiere rifle teams were all located at the military schools, not at the kind of place I would choose.

Well done, Nareed and teddys!

Quote: rxwine

Balance beam. (kidding - but, I would consider testicle smashing a chokable event when having to practice over a narrow beam for years, although males don't do that sport in the Olympics.)

Have you ever watched any of the "Paulette Huntinova" videos? Here is a link to videos of "testicle-smashing" uneven parallel bars, floor exercise, and balance beam that I think you might enjoy.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 30th, 2011 at 11:43:43 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

At the time that I was in college, I think the premiere rifle teams were all located at the military schools, not at the kind of place I would choose.

I should think so. A US Army sniper can hit a remarkably small target from over a mile away. Even ordinary soldiers rank high in marksmanship.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
March 30th, 2011 at 11:56:07 AM permalink

I should think so. A US Army sniper can hit a remarkably small target from over a mile away. Even ordinary soldiers rank high in marksmanship.

The NCAA riflery was .22 caliber at a range of 50 ft. When I was drafted and in basic training, we sighted in an M-16 at a range of 25 meters using a special target: aim at one spot with the bullets supposed to hit another spot a couple of inches higher. That was designed to sight the rifle properly for a range of 200 or 300 meters. I could keep a pretty darn good pattern at 25 meters, since it was similar to what I was accustomed to, but I was terrible at the distances at which we were actually tested -- with my vision I could hardly even see the targets.
Nareed
Nareed
March 30th, 2011 at 12:03:53 PM permalink
I got to shoot a .22 bolt action rifle once in Israel. I don't recall the range, but it must have been 20 meters or so. I hit the board with the target on it. Once.

Even so I got a seargent to let me shoot a burst from his M-16. He was very nice about it.

And that's my entire experience with firearms.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 30th, 2011 at 1:27:03 PM permalink

Stupid me, trying to debate a Troll.

I should have remembered one of Nareed's rules. :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
March 30th, 2011 at 2:04:16 PM permalink
The ultimate sport should combine violence, firearms, explosives, racing, gambling, and have a high turnover rate to prevent any one team dominating it for too long.

I'm thinking... teams drive-by shooting at each other out of Group B rally cars, set on minefield courses, with tiebreakers and penalties decided by Russian Roulette?
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
March 30th, 2011 at 2:06:20 PM permalink
Make that drunken teams and I think you have a winner !
Nareed
Nareed
March 30th, 2011 at 2:37:57 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Stupid me, trying to debate a Troll.

I should have remembered one of Nareed's rules. :)

See? I knew the so-called objective in soccer is indefensible :P

• Jump to: