Thread Rating:

mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
March 2nd, 2015 at 10:26:06 AM permalink
Quote: BoulderDamIt

Ryan Leaf.
It still hurts.

And guess where Ryan Leaf is from. Great Falls, Montana. He's not remembered to well here. He got sent to the Montana pen for burlary a couple of years ago. He just got out a couple of months ago.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
March 2nd, 2015 at 10:31:03 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

I don't think Tyson's fall from grace was due to snacking, although that may have played a part in it. Him going to jail for 3 years in the prime of his career is what did him in. He still was good when he came out but never was the same athlete again.

He got rid of the trainers that got him there. In the Buster Douglas fight his dumass corner couldn't tell him what to do to counter Douglas. I seen Evander Holyfield on TV telling Tyson how he figured him out. He said Tyson quit moving his head in his fights.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
March 2nd, 2015 at 10:34:06 AM permalink
I don't know if the Douglas fight is when he "lost it" I think it was a guy who got lazy for one particular time. However, after the jail sentence, people wanted to see the guy who would knock out people left and right in 90 seconds and that guy was no longer there. By the time he fought Holyfield, he was a shell of his former self
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
March 2nd, 2015 at 10:38:40 AM permalink

I don't know if the Douglas fight is when he "lost it" I think it was a guy who got lazy for one particular time. However, after the jail sentence, people wanted to see the guy who would knock out people left and right in 90 seconds and that guy was no longer there. By the time he fought Holyfield, he was a shell of his former self

Tyson's sparring partners were calling back to Las Vegas telling their friends to get money down on Douglas. They said there was something wrong with Tyson and he was even getting knocked down while sparring. The line dropped from like -5300 to something like -4300, then the books, thinking something was up, shut the line down.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
March 2nd, 2015 at 11:14:05 AM permalink
I agree, there may have been a lack of training for that one fight, but IMO that isn't when Tyson was done. Had he not gone to jail, he would have had the ability to properly train, get his head out of his rear end and recapture what he once had. After the jail time, it didn't matter what he did, he was finished.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
March 2nd, 2015 at 11:17:18 AM permalink

I agree, there may have been a lack of training for that one fight, but IMO that isn't when Tyson was done. Had he not gone to jail, he would have had the ability to properly train, get his head out of his rear end and recapture what he once had. After the jail time, it didn't matter what he did, he was finished.

Thats the big difference between him and Muhammad Ali. Ali sat out for three years but did remarkably well afterwards.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
March 2nd, 2015 at 11:33:13 AM permalink
I'm not a huge boxing fan, but I think it was the death of Cus D'Amato in 1985 that was the beginning of the end for Tyson. But, yeah, there was a stark difference between pre-prison and post-prison Tyson. I just looked it up: 41-1 before prison, 9-5 after. And as someone who missed the entire Tyson-McNeely fight while I was answering the door for the pizza guy*, I would say many of those 9 wins were against tomato cans.

Seriously, I went to a friend's apartment, and a bunch of us went in on the PPV together. Just as the fight is about to start, we hear the pizza guy at the door. So, I answer it, and exchange money for pizza. By the time I got back to the living room, the fight was over!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 9
March 9th, 2015 at 7:29:18 PM permalink
Tiger is the victim of his own perceptions of golf perfection. If one has followed his career from the beginning, you could note that he has changed his swing and swing coaches at least three times in search of "perfection." He has always commented that he could get better, so he would pursue changes and coaches to that end.

Right now his muscle memory, physiology, and kinesthetic senses are all confused from previous changes. Hopefully, he will get some really good advice and go back to the swing that made him almost invincible and unbeatable.

I believe he will work it out.

tuttigym
dummy
dummy
  • Threads: 2
March 9th, 2015 at 7:48:17 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

Thats the big difference between him and Muhammad Ali. Ali sat out for three years but did remarkably well afterwards.

At one time I thought Ali would live up to his promise to retire while his brain was intact. Sad to say, like most, he g
fought too long.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
March 9th, 2015 at 8:03:08 PM permalink
Quote: dummy

At one time I thought Ali would live up to his promise to retire while his brain was intact. Sad to say, like most, he g
fought too long.

You hear it from nearly all champions in all weight classes. "I'm retiring after this fight."

Then they're back in a year or two - tryin' for 'one more'.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: