NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 48
January 15th, 2012 at 5:16:07 PM permalink
So it was announced last week that Phantom is closing in September... Boo I love the show, and it is our Wizards favorite too! (I say that sarcastically) They spent over 70 million on it for only a 6 year run. Some did not like the short version, but I thought it was amazing visually and it captured the whole show well.

Phantom Closing
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
January 15th, 2012 at 5:17:23 PM permalink
The link doesn't work.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 239
January 15th, 2012 at 5:39:52 PM permalink
Saw it a couple of summers ago and we also enjoyed
it. Made more sense to me than several of the Cirque
shows we have seen.
Like the castle in its corner In a medieval game; I foresee terrible trouble And I stay here just the same
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 15th, 2012 at 6:24:31 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Made more sense to me than several of the Cirque shows we have seen.

I never understood why people say that. The Cirque shows for the most part don't pretend to be about plots. How do you judge something against a standard that it is not even trying to accomplish?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 15th, 2012 at 6:53:57 PM permalink
You know, I saw it as a play back in Mexico in the late 70s (obviously not the Broadway musical), and I know I saw a movie version once. but for the life of me, I can't recall what it was about.

No need to post the plot. If I want to know it I'll look it up online.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
January 15th, 2012 at 9:45:08 PM permalink
It was OK. I saw it at the Venetian. I've seen it 4 other times. All 4 other times were better. It still beats many other shows on Vegas.

I'd rather see a different show at the Venetian.

Change is good.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
January 16th, 2012 at 9:46:21 AM permalink
I saw the show last February, and got my ticket at the half priced place outside Bill's. I had an EXCELLENT seat, and could have easily moved to a better one, as the night I saw it had maybe 150 people. I'm surprised they didn't close it sooner.

As for the show itself, it's a pretty good production of a decent show. It's Andrew Lloyd Webber, and anybody who really knows musicals can NOT take him all that seriously, but Phantom is worthy of being up there with some really good shows. Some of the cuts are very welcome. Anthony Crivello (sp?) was a TERRIBLE Phantom, laughable in his fireball scene. However, the girl who played Christine was good, and Meg was EXCELLENT.

After seeing the show, my favorite song is now "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again..." I think I'm going to listen to that right now!
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1404
January 16th, 2012 at 10:48:30 AM permalink
Although I personally didn't care for Phantom, I'm sorry to see it go. I'd like to see less Cirque in Vegas and more conventional theater. I wish the Vegas show scene were more like a west-coast Broadway.

I applaud the Venetian for staying away from Cirque and Cirque imitations thus far, and hope whatever replaces it will continue that trend.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
January 16th, 2012 at 1:18:53 PM permalink
I don't like Phantom or Cirque, go figure. I have a
really hard time staying awake at live performances,
I always think they're boring. Actors and performers
doing something they've done hundreds of times
before. Yawn.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
January 16th, 2012 at 3:07:45 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Although I personally didn't care for Phantom, I'm sorry to see it go. I'd like to see less Cirque in Vegas and more conventional theater. I wish the Vegas show scene were more like a west-coast Broadway.

I applaud the Venetian for staying away from Cirque and Cirque imitations thus far, and hope whatever replaces it will continue that trend.

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised they haven't announced a show taking its place. I could easily see a 90-minute version of Wicked fitting into the same kind niche market. In fact, I'd welcome that show being pared down to 90-minutes, since there is so much useless fluff in it anyways.

Rock of Ages would be a good fit, except that's pretty much a Vegas show taken to Broadway. There really aren't any other shows that would fit the Venetian niche market (show-wise) that haven't already had a Vegas run (i.e. Hairspray, Avenue Q, Spamalot).

Maybe they'll stage a revival of Oh, Calcutta! ;)
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park

• Jump to: