Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 18th, 2012 at 6:12:07 PM permalink
I just picked myself up off the floor and my tears have almost dried...

Did anyone else hear about some crazy old guy with more money than Jesus talking about recreating the epic Nurburgring Nordschleife...in NEVADA? The gearheads are a-buzz and we can't tell if this is a legit attempt at bringing Nirvana to the States or just a publicity grab by some old man with an agenda. Locals, have you heard anything?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
toastcmu
toastcmu
  • Threads: 17
March 18th, 2012 at 6:16:42 PM permalink
The old guy with the money is Bruton Smith, who happens to own Las Vegas Motor Speedway (and a couple of other race tracks). I've heard the rumor - supposedly he is negotiating with the Fed Govt (BLM) for 8000 acres to build it on. I for one, would be interested to see if it happens.

-B
Face
Administrator
Face
March 18th, 2012 at 7:12:56 PM permalink
Yeah, I got all the preliminary rumors, I just didn't know if the locals had a more direct line to info. It seems too good to be true, but I'm praying heavily to St Nareed for this one. I know I told the Wiz I'd never move to Vegas, but this would change that decision in one fell swoop with no looking back =)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 18th, 2012 at 7:37:11 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Yeah, I got all the preliminary rumors, I just didn't know if the locals had a more direct line to info. It seems too good to be true, but I'm praying heavily to St Nareed for this one. I know I told the Wiz I'd never move to Vegas, but this would change that decision in one fell swoop with no looking back =)

If you're going to do that, it would help to know what you're talking about. I'm not all-knowing, you know :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 18th, 2012 at 7:48:50 PM permalink
An automobile racetrack around Nürburg, Germany.

Wiki article

Course map
Nareed
Nareed
March 18th, 2012 at 7:51:55 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Oh. Well, that should be easy to ignore.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 18th, 2012 at 7:55:59 PM permalink

... crazy old guy ... talking about recreating the epic Nurburgring Nordschleife...in NEVADA

Yes, perhaps you can easily ignore a racetrack in Germany, but apparently Face would have difficulty ignoring the re-creation in Nevada.

Or did you mean it would be easy to ignore prayers to St. Nareed?
Nareed
Nareed
March 18th, 2012 at 8:08:54 PM permalink

The way this works is I do nothing about it. If I can completely ignore it, it should work even better. :)
Face
Administrator
Face
March 18th, 2012 at 9:08:11 PM permalink

Not just an automobile racetrack, but the most epic 20+km ribbon of asphalt located in the universe. Only names such as Isle of Mann or Targa Florio could near the orgasmic power as that of the 'Schleife. Of my Bucket List, lapping the Green Hell not only sits atop, but holds more weight than all other desires combined squared. Asphalt, concrete, mile long straights, cresting corners, blind hills, jumps, bumps, and 147 turns...omg. 200mph straights on a track not even wide enough for two cars, with barriers RIGHT THERE to send you to Valhalla if you so much as blink, through the gorgeous Eiffel Mountains, jam down into a 30mph corner, then right back up through 100mph+ kinks and bends and hills... and all you need to experience such majesty is a car and a few pounds sterling. Amazing.

Yes, perhaps you can easily ignore a racetrack in Germany, but apparently Face would have difficulty ignoring the re-creation in Nevada.

And the only reason I posted all that was to guarantee Nareed would be totally disinterested and not even glance in my prayer's direction, thereby making it that much more likely to come true ;)

Really though...man is capable of some incredible things. That airport in Japan built on a man-made island is proof of that. And I know a recreation is POSSIBLE. But I find it near impossible to believe it would actually happen. A 22km race track featuring nearly 1,000' of elevation change in the flat Nevada desert? In a bad economy? For no real reason whatsoever? It'd take a miracle *ahem* ;)
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 18th, 2012 at 10:33:42 PM permalink

But I find it near impossible to believe it would actually happen. A 22km race track featuring nearly 1,000' of elevation change in the flat Nevada desert?

Las Vegas is surrounded by mountains. Elevation change could be manageable, but an absoulute recreation of the 'ring?

I don't think so.

Still, it would be nice to be able to rent an exotic like you can now at LVS and race the course.

Very nice indeed.
"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: