helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 79
January 16th, 2018 at 3:14:04 PM permalink
My wife and I are looking at this show when we're in Las Vegas for our March Break trip.

I guess it used to be in a different theatre and called "BAZ -- Star-crossed Love", but it has moved to the Venetian and been renamed.

Anyone seen it in the new theatre? Is it worth seeing? My wife and I enjoy musicals in general and we didn't mind Moulin-Rouge. We didn't see Romeo + Juliet or The Great Gatsby though.

TripAdvisor and Yelp reviews were generally positive. Can anyone here give it a personal thumbs up or down?

--helpmespock
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
January 16th, 2018 at 8:54:34 PM permalink
I saw it about two years ago(?) with the subtitle Star-crossed Love and enjoyed it. You'll get a LOT more out of it if you enjoy or, at the very least, are familiar with the stories of Moulin Rouge, Romeo and Juliet and The Great Gatsby. (Not being familiar with Moulin Rouge, those segments sort of lost me.) If you're not, I'd definitely recommend at least a quick refresher as to what the point of those stories were. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it again; there are enough bits where things are happening in different places on the stage that you'd miss details here and there on a single pass.

It should be fairly simple to get tickets for the show; I've stayed at the Venetian a few times, and have gotten free tickets upon check-in before. Though, on my most recent trip, they actually cancelled my tickets after I received them because it was supposed to be match play OR tickets, not both, and the system spat them both out.
helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 79
January 17th, 2018 at 3:19:29 PM permalink
Thanks for the recommendation!

I guess we've got some movie watching to do. It's been a while since we've seen Moulin Rouge and we've never seen the other two films.

I'm not staying at the Venetian so we'll just buy tickets. Tix4Tonight lists it as one of the shows they offer. My experience has been though that the seats they offer can be poor depending on the venue.

--helpmespock
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
January 22nd, 2018 at 9:40:28 PM permalink
Well, you don't need all THAT much knowledge to keep track of what's going on with some degree of lucidity; in the case of Romeo and Juliet, knowing that you're looking at a young couple from a feuding family that fall in love, encounter complications from their respective families clashing, and end up committing suicide in the process, is enough.

And that's not really a spoiler; you literally learn that eight lines into the play, and in fewer characters than this post.

(343 vs 475, excluding this line.)
  • Jump to: