pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
August 14th, 2011 at 9:06:51 AM permalink
' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/blogs/ygamesblog/startrek-themepark.jpg]

The country of Jordan is investing $1.5 billion in a Star Trek themed park in the seaside town of Aqaba. They plan to ring the park with 5-star hotels. It's too bad that downtown Vegas couldn't resurrect the Star Trek experience after it closed at the Hilton.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
August 14th, 2011 at 9:10:51 AM permalink
I think the appropriate expression is "Pie in the sky" :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
gambler
gambler
Joined: Jan 11, 2010
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 483
August 14th, 2011 at 9:29:07 AM permalink
Do you really think that enough Star Trek fans will travel all the way there? I know some die hards would, but enough to make it profitable?

This might be a good project for some midsized town in the U.S.A.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
August 14th, 2011 at 10:19:30 AM permalink
Quote: gambler

Do you really think that enough Star Trek fans will travel all the way there? I know some die hards would, but enough to make it profitable?



The current king, Abdullah II, is a science fiction fan. He even appeared in an ep of Voyager as an extra. But I don't think Jordan has the money to support a mutlibillion dollar theme park for one person.

Quote:

This might be a good project for some midsized town in the U.S.A.



Or a side attraction for a Vegas casino :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
waltomeal
waltomeal
Joined: May 26, 2010
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 140
August 14th, 2011 at 11:51:18 AM permalink
They could put it in Tunisia to double-up with Star Wars fans...
Old enough to repaint. Young enough to sell.
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
August 14th, 2011 at 12:52:19 PM permalink
The traditional beach spots in France, Spain, Portugal, Greece, and Italy have become very expensive in the last 10 years. The British are vacationing more and more in Mexico. But Croatia, Turkey, Jordan, and UAE are starting to move into line as vacation spots.

Aqaba has very good scuba diving. The Star Trek stuff may be a shell to build an adventure park full of thrill rides. It's 2300 miles from London which makes it a lot closer than Cancun.

Jordan's king guest starring in Star Trek TNG episode (15 years ago).
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
August 14th, 2011 at 1:27:53 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Aqaba has very good scuba diving. The Star Trek stuff may be a shell to build an adventure park full of thrill rides. It's 2300 miles from London which makes it a lot closer than Cancun.



And about three miles from Aqaba is Eilat, in a more civilized country and tax free.

Let's put it this way: this project in Jordan has as much chance of being built as the Sahara hotel and casino has of reopening within five years.

Quote:

Jordan's king guest starring in Star Trek TNG episode (15 years ago).



Do you know calling an extra a guest star is a capital offense in California? :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
August 15th, 2011 at 11:28:37 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Do you know calling an extra a guest star is a capital offense in California? :P



I think if you are an extra you need the hundred bucks. If you are a royal who can invite the whole cast over to his palace they make you a "nonspeaking guest star".
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
August 15th, 2011 at 11:45:29 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I think if you are an extra you need the hundred bucks. If you are a royal who can invite the whole cast over to his palace they make you a "nonspeaking guest star".



a.k.a., "Cling On"
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
August 15th, 2011 at 12:57:50 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I think if you are an extra you need the hundred bucks. If you are a royal who can invite the whole cast over to his palace they make you a "nonspeaking guest star".



What I know is that people fight tooth and nail over credits in Hollywood. Even well-known actors can get the vapors if they're not credited with something or other, or in the right order, or with an "and" before their name, etc etc.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

  • Jump to: