teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 12th, 2010 at 5:18:59 PM permalink
So, my mom expressed interest on accompanying me on my next Vegas trip. This suprised me because (1) she's not a gambler and (2) she doesn't really like the whole "Vegas Vibe."

That said, she is into outdoorsy stuff, so she asked what kind of hiking/other outdoorsy stuff there is near Vegas. I rattled off Red Rocks, Valley of Fire, and Death Valley. I don't know the relative merits of hiking in any of those places, but I think the Wizard wrote some reviews of Red Rocks that seemed favorable. I also threw out the Lake Mead Recreation Area. I told her Bryce and Zion in Utah were too far for the amount of time we had. (I still wanna gamble :)).

Anybody have any other ideas?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 12th, 2010 at 5:26:48 PM permalink
Mt. Charleston.
annaj10
annaj10
  • Threads: 1
December 12th, 2010 at 7:31:51 PM permalink
None of these involve hiking as you would at Red Rock but they are good places to get outdoors and are still relatively close to the strip.

Springs Preserve - www.springspreserve.org
Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve - www.cityofhenderson.com/parks/parks/bird_preserve.php
Botanical Cactus Garden at Ethel M - www.ethelm.com/about_us/factory_tour.aspx
Sunset Park - www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/parks/Pages/park-sunset.aspx
crazyiam
crazyiam
  • Threads: 0
December 12th, 2010 at 9:39:23 PM permalink
Valley of fire. Its an hour or an hour and a half away. Spend 2-3 hours there and its worth it.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 13th, 2010 at 1:23:52 AM permalink
I have no idea of relative risks in these matters.
I do recall some news headlines of about the last three months.
One was a woman who fell at or near something involving Red Rocks (Hows that for a nice precise statement, complete with citations).
The other was an experienced young hiker who was unfamiliar with the area and apparently went hiking without maps.

I am sure zillions of people engage in outdoor exercise without receiving injuries. Most likely there is greater danger from urban crime than from suburban or rural recreation.

I know tourists doing The Strip are advised to be sure to consume water. I suspect its even more important for hikers and rock climbers.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 13th, 2010 at 3:52:54 AM permalink
Of the ideas already mentioned, I would rank them from best to worst Red Rock, Mt. Charleston, Lake Mead. Valley of Fire and Zion are too far for day trips.

I'd like to add the Black Canyon. Lisa wrote an article about a kayak trip there under "articles." If that is too strenuous, there are pontoon boats that do the same trip.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 13th, 2010 at 10:06:55 AM permalink
What time of year will you be visiting? The season can have a big effect on recommendations for hiking/walking. There is snow on Mt. Charleston in the winter, and I am not sure you want to hike anywhere in the desert in mid/late summer.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
teddys
teddys
December 13th, 2010 at 10:19:41 AM permalink
Christmas. I guess there will be snow on Mt. Charleston, so that's out. (Unless we want to ski!)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
MissyMartin
MissyMartin
  • Threads: 0
December 16th, 2010 at 9:38:18 AM permalink
Mt Charleston is my favorite place to go for outdoorsy activities. I like it because it doesn't even feel like you're in the desert anymore. There is a beautiful mountain lodge about half way up Kyle Canyon called the Resort on My Charleston. The rooms are gorgeous, but even if you dont plan on spending the night, they have a restaurant with great food and a 24hr bar. Its my favorite place to eat after hiking all day. :)
teddys
teddys
December 16th, 2010 at 10:32:04 AM permalink
Thanks. The dad decided to come along too. (Even more shocking than the mom!) It looks like we are going to try to book a kayak trip with Boulder City outfitters, if they are open. Also, we are going to do a Red Rocks hike. That should keep us busy for a few days. Valley of Fire if we have downtime.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 22nd, 2010 at 5:52:45 PM permalink
Apparently, you don't need to go to the river to kayak... The river is coming to you. http://www.lvrj.com/news/floodwaters-in-mesquite-recede-slightly-but-more-rain-expected-112311139.html

Be safe, and have a merry Christmas with your folks.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 5th, 2020 at 4:41:02 PM permalink
Just did the Valley of Fire
Wow
Way Way better then the Red Rock scenic drive
Saw tons of petroglyphs at the valley of fire
The drive is spectacular
Really glad I checked this out
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 5th, 2020 at 4:49:46 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Just did the Valley of Fire
Wow
Way Way better then the Red Rock scenic drive
Saw tons of petroglyphs at the valley of fire
The drive is spectacular
Really glad I checked this out

Not a bad time of year for Death Valley. Largest Joshua Tree “forest” is on a short hike about 40 minutes or so south of Vegas in Mojave National Preserve.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 5th, 2020 at 10:23:13 PM permalink
There is a hiking trail by Lake Meade that follows an old train line under the mountain and includes hiking through several long tunnels.
Just be aware it is mostly uphill.
I've done the Valley of Fire several times as daytrips. December is an excellent time to visit.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 5th, 2020 at 10:24:19 PM permalink
There is a hiking trail by Lake Meade that follows an old train line under the mountain and includes hiking through several long tunnels.
I've done the Valley of Fire several times as daytrips. December is an excellent time to visit.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 6th, 2020 at 8:58:21 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

You can also bike that trail. I highly recommend it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
December 6th, 2020 at 10:19:43 AM permalink
The train trail at Lake Mead is one of the best in Vegas. Sweeping views and railroad tunnels. It’s technically closed during summer months. It can get very hot.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 6th, 2020 at 11:07:49 AM permalink
The Wizard’s pet graveyard.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 3rd, 2021 at 8:34:39 PM permalink
Really needed to get out o Vegas
Took the drive out to Death Valley.
Absolutely loved it
Kind of pricy. There was an automated kiosk charging 30.00 bucks
Could have passed right by it but I paid
Got to the furnace creek station.
Told them just turned 62 and interested in the annual pass
They said they had a great deal. Since I already paid 30, another 50 for a total of 80 and I get a lifetime pass to all National Parks
Sold
Loved the park
Checked out the lowest spot by badwater
Checked out the old borax works
Did the Golden Canyon trail. Saw somebody looking at pics then the canyon walls. They said 1st Star Wars movie shot here
Checked out the badlands
Going back in a few days to check out more of the park.
Perfect antidote to Vegas
Another bonus. Dispensary outside the park in CA. Reasonable prices. picked up an OZ for 170. They go for over 300 in Vegas
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
January 3rd, 2021 at 10:17:48 PM permalink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQh3tFIE9bY

Worth the drive up
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 4th, 2021 at 7:18:58 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Really needed to get out o Vegas
Took the drive out to Death Valley.
Absolutely loved it
Kind of pricy. There was an automated kiosk charging 30.00 bucks
Could have passed right by it but I paid
Got to the furnace creek station.
Told them just turned 62 and interested in the annual pass
They said they had a great deal. Since I already paid 30, another 50 for a total of 80 and I get a lifetime pass to all National Parks
Sold
Loved the park
Checked out the lowest spot by badwater
Checked out the old borax works
Did the Golden Canyon trail. Saw somebody looking at pics then the canyon walls. They said 1st Star Wars movie shot here
Checked out the badlands
Going back in a few days to check out more of the park.
Perfect antidote to Vegas
Another bonus. Dispensary outside the park in CA. Reasonable prices. picked up an OZ for 170. They go for over 300 in Vegas

You need to do that trip in July or August to get the full experience.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
  • Jump to: