coilman
coilman
Joined: Jan 29, 2012
  • Threads: 126
  • Posts: 1040
February 11th, 2018 at 6:46:19 AM permalink
Flew on many helicopters for work out west much older style than those used out of Vegas and not once did I feel unsafe . But you just never know

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nation-and-world/3-die-others-hurt-in-grand-canyon-helicopter-crash/
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 43
  • Posts: 2908
February 11th, 2018 at 8:43:46 AM permalink
Apparently these helicopter tour pilots only make around $13/hr
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 131
  • Posts: 16735
February 11th, 2018 at 9:10:43 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Apparently these helicopter tour pilots only make around $13/hr

I heard $15 an hr, but they must get good tips?
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 3423
February 11th, 2018 at 9:15:11 AM permalink
I have done helicopter tours. Never tipped or seen others tipping. Also, never solicited by the pilots. Is this another expected tip that I am ignorant of?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1222
  • Posts: 20318
February 11th, 2018 at 9:17:19 AM permalink
A good trivia question is what is the greatest cause of fatalities in the Grand Canyon?

The answer is aviation disasters, by far. Part of the reason is the pilots for such pleasure flights tend to be the least experienced. Another cause is unstable air over the canyon.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 43
  • Posts: 2908
February 11th, 2018 at 9:46:54 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

A good trivia question is what is the greatest cause of fatalities in the Grand Canyon?

The answer is aviation disasters, by far. Part of the reason is the pilots for such pleasure flights tend to be the least experienced. Another cause is unstable air over the canyon.


When I was at the West Rim, which is where I think this crash happened, they have this structure hanging over one side:



One of the staff there was telling me that a cable used to extend from that building to the other side of the canyon to cart things across.

Apparently the cable had been up until fairly recently, until a military plane doing an exercise or show or something was flying low and the cable sheared a wing off completely leading to the jet crashing.
Last edited by: gamerfreak on Feb 11, 2018
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1222
  • Posts: 20318
February 11th, 2018 at 10:08:32 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Apparently the cable had been up until fairly recently, until a military plane doing an exercise or show or something was flying low and the cable sheared a sing off completely leading to the jet crashing.



I did not know that about a cable crossing the Grand Canyon. As for the low flying plane, wouldn't surprise me if he the pilot was on a joy ride, as was the case with this incident in Italy.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 13719
February 11th, 2018 at 11:43:31 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I did not know that about a cable crossing the Grand Canyon. As for the low flying plane, wouldn't surprise me if he the pilot was on a joy ride, as was the case with this incident in Italy.



A mid-air collision between 2 sightseeing flights over the Grand Canyon in 1958 was the reason the government started the FAA in the first place. The tour operators couldn't sort themselves out as to whose turn it was to make the run, and it's pretty damned narrow down there, after all, Grand or not . Probably the last straw among many previous accidents, but it's part of the official history of the FAA (and is on the controller test in the academy).

OTOH, one of the most memorable flights I've ever had, probably top 5 out of several hundred, was flying the last 200 miles or so into LV in the cockpit of a B767 via the Canyon Tour route. You follow the canyon in from the east at 2000' and about 200 knots. Only available on clear days because the jet has to see and avoid other traffic. Think it was 1993 on Delta. It would be great for side window sightseeing, but from the cockpit it was completely spectacular.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
helpmespock
helpmespock
Joined: Mar 6, 2010
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 354
February 11th, 2018 at 1:07:59 PM permalink
My wife and I did a helicopter fly-over of Hoover Dam in 2010 after I got a little lucky at the blackjack table and the bankroll was good. We flew out of that spot beside the Boulder City Hotel & Casino in the pictures in the article. I don't think it was the same company back then as there were no banners up, but I remember that hill for take-off. Here's one of the pictures we got during the fly-over:



The thing I remember the most was the power slide landing where the pilot whipped the tail of the helicopter around for touch down.

When something like this happens, it makes you re-think that kind of activity. Mind you I suspect I have more chance of dying on the highway drive to the airport on my way to Las Vegas than in any sort of air transport accident.

--helpmespock
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1222
  • Posts: 20318
February 11th, 2018 at 5:32:34 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

OTOH, one of the most memorable flights I've ever had, probably top 5 out of several hundred, was flying the last 200 miles or so into LV in the cockpit of a B767 via the Canyon Tour route. You follow the canyon in from the east at 2000' and about 200 knots. Only available on clear days because the jet has to see and avoid other traffic. Think it was 1993 on Delta. It would be great for side window sightseeing, but from the cockpit it was completely spectacular.



When I lived in Baltimore I flew to Vegas annually and once or twice the pilot announced enthusiastically that we were given permission to fly the Grand Canyon route. I'm sure it was better in the cockpit but the passengers in the window seats still got a great show.

I'm not sure if it was normal but once I landed into Costa Rica at night. The captain pointed out active volcanoes he was passing. You could see the lava inside. Very cool. It is on my bucket list to see a volcano erupting as close as I safely can.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

  • Jump to: