Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1191
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:08:44 PM permalink
During the McNugget challenge I met a couple of street performers watching, killing time before their shift. One was Adrianne, who also tried the challenge. The other was her boyfriend John (note the matching glasses). Adrianne wasn't feeling too well after the challenge so I interviewed John about his job as a street performer. Here is my interview of John. I must say, I thought they made more money than he says they do.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:17:43 PM permalink
Sorry. I didn't realize I was also in this video. Kind of distracting.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 62
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:23:36 PM permalink
you gotta invest in a wireless microphone
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:26:13 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

Sorry. I didn't realize I was also in this video. Kind of distracting.

Downright rude, but not surprising given your name. :)
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 28
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:29:42 PM permalink
$40 a day? It was a little hard to hear. I have my iPad sound to the max and listened 3 times.... $40 in 4 hours?

Also it's a little surprising to hear he splits tips with the guys that own the costume.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 186
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:30:01 PM permalink
I couldn't hear how much they made. Were they homeless? There is a bit on Arrested Development season 4 on Netflix about costumed performers getting in trouble for copyrights or trademark violations. I would want to know if any of it was true, but am mostly certain it isn't.
#FreeNATHAN #Paytheslaves
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 179
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:40:00 PM permalink
I also couldn't hear to well with my crappy tablet speakers. Was the $40 in 4 hours before or after he split with the costume owner. I didn't even know they needed permits. I also was wondering about their living situation. Maybe several renting one of those weekly places, or bouncing around the hostel? Seems like a tough existence.
Just say no to 6:5 Blackjack, Continuous shuffle machines and Blackjack the Forum. All are Negative expected value.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 28
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:46:28 PM permalink
I would hope $40 is after the split. You'd make more than $5 an hour at any job, even after paying taxes
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1191
December 22nd, 2013 at 8:52:47 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I couldn't hear how much they made. Were they homeless? There is a bit on Arrested Development season 4 on Netflix about costumed performers getting in trouble for copyrights or trademark violations. I would want to know if any of it was true, but am mostly certain it isn't.

He said that after paying the $4/hr costume rental he made $7-$8/hr, but December is a slow month. When I asked for an annual average he said $10/hr.

I didn't ask about copyright and trademark violations. He worked for one of two agencies who worry, or don't, about stuff like that.

Quote: kewlj

I didn't even know they needed permits. I also was wondering about their living situation. Maybe several renting one of those weekly places, or bouncing around the hostel? Seems like a tough existence.

I had heard they were supposed to have them before the interview, but wasn't sure if they actually bothered. I didn't ask about the living situation but at $10/hr, and working just four-hour shifts, it can't be that good. I didn't want to insult him with the question, but I've heard panhandlers make way more than that. Good ones can make $500 per day. Of course, I have a lot more respect for people who give back some kind of service to society, but if I could make a lot more with a cardboard sign and a coin cup I'd be tempted to.

His girlfriend, who did the McNugget challenge, seemed to mainly want to do it just to have something to eat, and she seemed to really need the $50 I promised for success. John was grateful to get the nuggets she didn't finish. By the way, terapined and I each gave her $10 as a consolation prize.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 179
December 22nd, 2013 at 9:00:51 PM permalink
OK, now why do they only work a 4 hour shift? Did I miss something?
Just say no to 6:5 Blackjack, Continuous shuffle machines and Blackjack the Forum. All are Negative expected value.

• Jump to: