No votes (0%)
3 votes (9.09%)

33 members have voted

teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
May 4th, 2011 at 9:33:54 AM permalink
JerryLogan=>RobSinger=>JL2=>helicious=>Altut=>Virgi=>arcimedes

I'm assuming for the sake of argument that the above is a true syllogism. For what it's worth, I am 100% convinced it is. I think others are too.

The question remains, once the initial or subsequent alias is banned, should the banned member be able to continue posting under different names? There is a presumption that each new name is a new member who is a different natural person. But of course it is possible to keep creating aliases. I could be banned as teddys and keep returning as TadWaters or whomever and keep posting the same things; I'll just claim I am a new person.

I would suggest that Jerry/Rob is not entitled to that presumption, and as long as he keeps returning and making the same posts/trolling/arguments, members should be able to flag his posts. Outrageous misbehavior calls for an extreme reaction -- even if it means "violating" certain forum conventions.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 4th, 2011 at 9:51:24 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

JerryLogan=>RobSinger=>JL2=>helicious=>Altut=>Virgi

I'm assuming for the sake of argument that the above is a true syllogism. For what it's worth, I am 100% convinced it is. I think others are too.

The question remains, once the initial or subsequent alias is banned, should the banned member be able to continue posting under different names? There is a presumption that each new name is a new member who is a different natural person. But of course it is possible to keep creating aliases. I could be banned as teddys and keep returning as TadWaters or whomever and keep posting the same things; I'll just claim I am a new person.

I would suggest that Jerry/Rob is not entitled to that presumption, and as long as he keeps returning and making the same posts/trolling/arguments, members should be able to flag his posts. Outrageous misbehavior calls for an extreme reaction -- even if it means "violating" certain forum conventions.

Seconded. I really do think this is a case where two wrongs make a right. Flagging due to identity is not acceptable, but neither is circumventing a lifetime ban in this manner. I think that the (ridiculously) obvious circumvention justifies the flagging.

*edit* It looks like altut is still serving his "3 day" ban that expired on the 4/28. Did I miss something there?
*re-edit* I assume that's why Virgi was gifted to us on the 29th...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
May 4th, 2011 at 10:01:49 AM permalink
OMG !!!!!!!! Dont even get me started on this subject.

Ken
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
May 4th, 2011 at 10:18:24 AM permalink
Quote: Virgi

You just don't get it in much the same way as that aberration Nareed doesn't: I'm none of those people, and I strongly believe you're wrong on most or all of your other guesses up there also. If this place is where some of you people get your social life then no wonder you don't have religion.

Admin, Can we get a ban now please?

Please be wise and stay away for good this time. Seventh time's a charm.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 4th, 2011 at 10:20:11 AM permalink

You just don't get it in much the same way as Nareed doesn't: I'm none of those people, and I strongly believe you're wrong on most or all of your other guesses up there also. If this place is where some of you people get your social life then no wonder you don't have religion.

Of course you aren't. You just happen to act exactly like them. And you just happen to have appeared immediately after the last of them was suspended. It's the world's biggest coincidence. But I'm sure the rest of us would see the light if we could all agree to worship Rob Singer.

*edited quote to be less offensive*
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
May 4th, 2011 at 10:23:45 AM permalink
Quote: poll

Yes, they should be given the benefit of the doubt

What sort of 'doubt' ?

Doubt that you are unsure that they are the same person? Sure.

Doubt that you are unsure that they have learned their lesson? No way.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
May 4th, 2011 at 10:26:42 AM permalink

. . . that aberration Nareed . . .

While I have no idea if Virgi is any of the JL incarnations we've seen before, I've seen enough.

Virgi is now on my blocked member list.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
gambler
gambler
  • Threads: 112
May 4th, 2011 at 10:31:26 AM permalink
I happen to be a big fan of the Wizard of Vegas forum and though I don't post a lot, visit the site several times a day. The vast majority of people posting here are well educated, provide strong well supported opinions, and I respect their opinions even though I don't agree with everything they say.

Sadly, it only takes a few trolls/idiots to ruin a forum and discourage new members from staying. While I am all for allowing someone a second chance, I am not for allowing someone a 5th, 6th or 7th chance. Once they are banned, they should be banned for life.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
May 4th, 2011 at 11:35:52 AM permalink

There are several technical solutions that could be implemented, but I'm not sure if they can be easily implemented in this forum's software:
1) User reputations. Users with a too-low reputation have their posts hidden unless revealed.
2) Post reputations. Same as above, on a per-post basis.
In both cases, the UI has a +/- feature to increase or decrease reputation rather than to bust a post altogether. Users may set a minimum reputation filter on their viewed posts, so posts or users with too-low a reputation are hidden.
3) User rank. Similar to reputation but also rewards tenure "above the line". The corollary is that any user who has a negative reputation never gains rank.
4) IP blocking. This prevents new users from signing up with a banned IP address. I would recommend this as an immediate first step to combat the cycle of banning, new-users, troll, re-banning.

There are probably several others I'm not thinking of. However, in the absence of superior technical solutions, I find nothing improper about using the techniques at one's disposal to enforce the exile of an already-banned user.

Of course, Facebook provided an alternate solution to this problem a long time ago. You cannot sign up for Facebook with a pseudonym...
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1260
May 4th, 2011 at 11:45:57 AM permalink

You just don't get it in much the same way as that aberration Nareed doesn't: I'm none of those people, and I strongly believe you're wrong on most or all of your other guesses up there also. If this place is where some of you people get your social life then no wonder you don't have religion.

Admin, Can we get a ban now please?

Please be wise and stay away for good this time. Seventh time's a charm.

The original post seems to have been deleted or reworded, but I'll ban him anyway. The term will be indefinite, while I look into making a case for the nuclear option.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: