benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
April 23rd, 2011 at 11:45:21 AM permalink
Altut has started one thread and made 110 posts since April 9 and everyone of them has disappeared. I assume it's due to flagging and I don't for a minute doubt that it is being done with the best of intentions. Does this mean that all 110 posts were spammy, harassing, illegal in nature, or inappropriate as described in Forum Rule#4? I think we all know the answer to that and it raises the very disturbing issue of censorship.

Make no mistake I'm not a fan of this poster and I share the general consensus of who it is. If the Wizard bans Altut, I will shed no tears nor will I give it a second thought. I do think it should be his decision.

In the meantime we have a poster who is being banned regardless of content and adherence to the rules, and I just don't think that's the spirit of this forum. The flag post option is great, but so is the temptation to use it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 218
April 23rd, 2011 at 11:48:27 AM permalink
Quote: benbakdoff

Altut has started one thread and made 110 posts since April 9 and everyone of them has disappeared. I assume it's due to flagging and I don't for a minute doubt that it is being done with the best of intentions. Does this mean that all 110 posts were spammy, harassing, illegal in nature, or inappropriate as described in Forum Rule#4? I think we all know the answer to that and it raises the very disturbing issue of censorship.

Make no mistake I'm not a fan of this poster and I share the general consensus of who it is. If the Wizard bans Altut, I will shed no tears no will I give it a second thought. I do think it should be his decision.

In the meantime we have a poster who is being banned regardless of content and adherence to the rules, and I just don't think that's the spirit of this forum. The flag post option is great, but so is the temptation to use it.

Could be. I have flagged maybe 5 posts since I have been here, which is pretty much the month the board opened. Some people get power to flag and take the college-campus method of "If you don't like what someone has to say, don't let them say it!"
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 23rd, 2011 at 11:56:25 AM permalink

Make no mistake I'm not a fan of this poster and I share the general consensus of who it is. If the Wizard bans Altut, I will shed no tears no will I give it a second thought. I do think it should be his decision.

Altut is JL2 and Jerry Logan. He's already been banned for life twice. Evidently he keeps coming back.

I admit I've flagged all his posts I've come across regardless of content. The way I see it, eh has no right to post here. I expect the Wizard could ban that ccount, but the troll would either sign up another sock puppet, or use a stand-by sock puppet (I don't know he has any, but I'd bet he does). Better if we can get him to go away.

Since my flag is not enough to delete a post, I can only conclude otehr users have joined in this action.

Quote:

I agree. But in the case of JerryLogan/JL2/Altut, the ban is already in place.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
April 23rd, 2011 at 12:51:44 PM permalink
I've flagged a couple of Altut's posts. I agree it should be content-based. There shouldn't be the presumption that everything he posts is bad. He did make a productive response to one of my questions. He probably is Jerry, but I don't think that has been definitively determined yet.

He will probably be banned soon enough. He has Jerry tendencies (if he isn't Jerry, that is).
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
wildqat
wildqat
  • Threads: 4
April 23rd, 2011 at 1:46:35 PM permalink

Make no mistake I'm not a fan of this poster and I share the general consensus of who it is. If the Wizard bans Altut, I will shed no tears nor will I give it a second thought. I do think it should be his decision.

Flagged.

J/K :^P

I've flagged a few, but they were all spammers. I didn't know it was a "20 points and baleeted" system until the recent revelations; I thought it just notified the modmins who then made the determination to baleet or not to baleet. I do agree that the current method is open to abuse.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 176
April 23rd, 2011 at 4:06:42 PM permalink

Altut has started one thread and made 110 posts since April 9....

Sometimes I get the feeling that I was in a coma a couple weeks ago, because although I keep seeing posts about this guy, I've never seen any posts by him.

Whatever.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
  • Threads: 21
April 23rd, 2011 at 4:17:37 PM permalink
I've flagged quite a few of Jerry's posts. He's a troll who has been banned twice. WOO has been busy this week but I'm sure he'll weigh in and either admonish the flaggings or be happy that Jerry wasn't allowed to reassert himself yet again on this board. It's WOO's board and if he thinks flaggings were excessive then I back that. But as Nareed pointed out, it requires more than one person to have a post deleted.
EvenBob: "Look America, I have a tiny wee-wee, can anybody help me?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
April 23rd, 2011 at 4:34:11 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Altut is JL2 and Jerry Logan. He's already been banned for life twice.

Its obvious that he was Jerry/Singer. They are the only people who go out of their way defend Laughlin and ask why nobody goes there.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 23rd, 2011 at 6:43:07 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Its obvious that he was Jerry/Singer. They are the only people who go out of their way defend Laughlin and ask why nobody goes there.

Damn, Bob, you've worked out that I'm another sockpuppet....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
April 23rd, 2011 at 7:00:44 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Damn, Bob, you've worked out that I'm another sockpuppet....

Its the way Jerry/Singer does it that gives him away. He talks like Laughlin is the best place to play in NV, and nobody else does that. He brings it up when nobody is discussing it.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: