OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
May 22nd, 2016 at 9:04:02 AM permalink
Ok. We have rules. I get that.

Absolutely no personal insults.

Flagging: The primary purpose of flagging is to rid the forum of spam but can also be used for other obvious rule violations. Flagging legitimate posts, for any reason, is not allowed.

But dammit, IMHO, we have spammers trolls, mischief makers and sock puppets almost owning the place.
So, we cannot accuse a a troll of being a troll: Personal insult. We cannot or dare not flag the posts of a troll, because that might be a legit post.

What if some new poster is clearly posting beyond his quota as per the rules but not enforced posting limits? Dare we flag those?

Suggestion, if it's not too hard to code: Add to the flag feature 'Flagged because' and 'Show as flagged by me'

I'm getting less inclined to view and contribute here. Well done mischief makers. One less grumpy old man to contend with.

* Calling myself a grumpy old man does not constitute personal insult does it?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 22nd, 2016 at 9:12:11 AM permalink
I agree with you. Im4l is trolling the forum, based on his latest. So he's gone.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
May 22nd, 2016 at 9:34:49 AM permalink
I guess I don't see it as bad as some do...I'll flag what I think needs flag and take the suspension if it comes. However, I do expect some consideration of how many things I have flagged that could be legitimate versus the bad stuff--I have made more than one accidental flag here...

The ban hammer should not be the first resort except for unwelcome returnees unless it is spam or something like that...warn them, suspend them, let them try again, and then drop the hammer. Oh well...not that anyone will care too much what I think...
RonC
RonC
May 22nd, 2016 at 9:35:37 AM permalink
Too many people here getting insulted over little stuff...
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
May 22nd, 2016 at 9:43:46 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

...I'll flag what I think needs flag and take the suspension if it comes. Oh well...not that anyone will care too much what I think...

I will too.
I care matey. We may end up sharing a cell if we flag the same posts.

$:o)
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 22nd, 2016 at 10:02:21 AM permalink

I guess I don't see it as bad as some do...I'll flag what I think needs flag and take the suspension if it comes. However, I do expect some consideration of how many things I have flagged that could be legitimate versus the bad stuff--I have made more than one accidental flag here...

The ban hammer should not be the first resort except for unwelcome returnees unless it is spam or something like that...warn them, suspend them, let them try again, and then drop the hammer. Oh well...not that anyone will care too much what I think...

Someone who makes 35 posts in a membership of 6 days, asking essentially the same question a half dozen times, then gloats about using our members instead of his own brain, we don't need.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RonC
RonC
May 22nd, 2016 at 10:34:29 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Someone who makes 35 posts in a membership of 6 days, asking essentially the same question a half dozen times, then gloats about using our members instead of his own brain, we don't need.

You don't need to defend yourself about a particular incident; it is my opinion that bans and insult suspensions have gotten a bit out of hand around these here parts. I guess most can get explained away, as above, as being legitimate but it seems we should follows the rules about posting (so many per day during early membership) and see if the newbie conforms to the rules moving forward or not. I know you can;t fix most people but you also can't ban too many and still have a successful board.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
May 22nd, 2016 at 10:43:10 AM permalink

...it is my opinion that bans and insult suspensions have gotten a bit out of hand around these here parts...

In the words of the late great Fred Sanford....ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!? :-)

And miss out on the whining and b**ching from former members elsewhere on the interwebs??
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
RonC
RonC
May 22nd, 2016 at 11:38:43 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

In the words of the late great Fred Sanford....ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!? :-)

And miss out on the whining and b**ching from former members elsewhere on the interwebs??

There is some pretty funny stuff out there...somewhere...but some things have gotten out of hand here!!

Crap...now those people who say less people are visiting here but visit here all the time to see what we are doing will know we know where they are...they have the only active thread on that forum!
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 22nd, 2016 at 1:15:01 PM permalink
They're just jealous losers.
whodat
whodat
  • Threads: 7
May 22nd, 2016 at 1:47:11 PM permalink
I frequent multiple forums. The makeup of each forum is different. The Craps Forum have some fairly decent posters and are mainly divided into four camps--the "on-axis DI, the off-axis DI, the non-believers, and those that don't care.
This forum is made up of a lot of math-based, intuitive people.
There is such a wide division between the two that the crap posters who come here get ridiculed quite a bit and end up not returning for a while.
I joined last year but after some initial posts stopped visiting this site because some of the more "acerbic " answers. Craps players, unless DI truly exists, play in a negative expectation game. The astute ones know that. They also know that they win because of variance. Many times when they ask about a certain system they are wondering about the staying power of that system until they get onto a hot roller. They don't want to be slapped down with a ridicule such as "why do you make such a stupid bet?" or "don't hedge it's stupid,"
I came back to this forum because I talked to another member of this forum whom I met online at a different forum. That person is very nice and told me this is the forum he frequented the most.
For the record, I'm not a troller. I play craps the most in the past two years but have played BJ, Paigow, and UTH. I would like to try my hand at VP. I play recreationally and maybe 4-6 times a year. I play in negative expectation games and I understand that. But technically makes me a loser but I'm most definitely not a "jealous loser."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
May 22nd, 2016 at 4:03:35 PM permalink
Quote: whodat

I frequent multiple forums. The makeup of each forum is different. The Craps Forum have some fairly decent posters and are mainly divided into four camps--the "on-axis DI, the off-axis DI, the non-believers, and those that don't care.
This forum is made up of a lot of math-based, intuitive people.
There is such a wide division between the two that the crap posters who come here get ridiculed quite a bit and end up not returning for a while.
I joined last year but after some initial posts stopped visiting this site because some of the more "acerbic " answers. Craps players, unless DI truly exists, play in a negative expectation game. The astute ones know that. They also know that they win because of variance. Many times when they ask about a certain system they are wondering about the staying power of that system until they get onto a hot roller. They don't want to be slapped down with a ridicule such as "why do you make such a stupid bet?" or "don't hedge it's stupid,"
I came back to this forum because I talked to another member of this forum whom I met online at a different forum. That person is very nice and told me this is the forum he frequented the most.
For the record, I'm not a troller. I play craps the most in the past two years but have played BJ, Paigow, and UTH. I would like to try my hand at VP. I play recreationally and maybe 4-6 times a year. I play in negative expectation games and I understand that. But technically makes me a loser but I'm most definitely not a "jealous loser."

My comment wasn't about you or anyone else here. It was about former WoV members who are permanently exiled that do nothing but troll and complain about the goings on here. Their new home is a joke anyway. The administration has to steal 95% of the posts from other sites. Basically it's a fraud.
whodat
whodat
  • Threads: 7
May 22nd, 2016 at 6:29:11 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

My comment wasn't about you or anyone else here. It was about former WoV members who are permanently exiled that do nothing but troll and complain about the goings on here. Their new home is a joke anyway. The administration has to steal 95% of the posts from other sites. Basically it's a fraud.

I understand. It just happened that the first time that I was here last year, it was not a good experience. I was starting my infancy in craps and reading about all these systems and different tosses. I made some posts and got clipped a little. I was not used to the sometimes abrupt style of writing and it became annoying.

But let's get back to the subject, I don't troll. I never purposefully post to get under someone's skin. And I don't pay toll to the troll either (respond back to his bait with a biting answer).
  • Jump to: