Thread Rating:

unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 8
January 14th, 2019 at 8:05:09 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I like turtles?

That’s good. Because it’s turtles all the way down.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 37
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKintmipletForagerDRichbeachbumbabsDeMangoprozemaHunterhillMichaelBluejay
January 14th, 2019 at 8:33:35 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Apparently some of you don't know what a "pronoun" is.

I'm assuming, it's a noun that is salaried and on contract?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
January 19th, 2019 at 1:03:14 PM permalink
BBB wants to bust / delete the darkoz thread of woe, claiming it is potentially libelous.

She's asking for the other mods to weigh in and she has closed the thread, so I'll comment here.

I suspect the thread will be busted, not because of concerns about potential libel but because BBB wants to save darkoz from himself.

Heart of gold, fist of iron.
"What, me worry?"
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 186
January 19th, 2019 at 1:06:29 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

BBB wants to bust / delete the darkoz thread of woe, claiming it is potentially libelous.

She's asking for the other mods to weigh in and she has closed the thread, so I'll comment here.

I suspect the thread will be busted, not because of concerns about potential libel but because BBB wants to save darkoz from himself.

Doesn't matter to me. Can't even begin to compete with Nathan's corner.
#FreeNATHAN #Paytheslaves
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 118
boymimbo
January 19th, 2019 at 1:13:10 PM permalink

I don’t have a problem with BBB or the fact that she has authority as an Admin, obviously, but I fail to see under what interpretation of the Rules the thread should be deleted. There’s no doxxing on direct that I can see, so while DarkOz is referencing people close to him, he’s not doing so by name.

I also fail to see any obvious libel that would demand the thread be removed. Libel exists only when a statement about a person is BOTH written AND untrue. For libel to exist here, especially for the purpose of removing an entire thread, I think at a minimum we would want to have proof that something DarkOz is saying isn’t true. I fail to see any such proof and nor do I have any reason to disbelieve anything DarkOz is saying. I have no reason to believe him, either, but that just has to do with having no personal knowledge of the subject matter or anyone involved with exception to meeting DarkOz himself once for maybe an hour.

Anyway, libelous, potentially libelous....anything negative about another person could be viewed as, “Potentially libelous.” Hell, things meant to be positive could be viewed as, “Potentially libelous.”

If, “Potentially libelous,” is going to be a standard for thread removal, at the request of any Administrator, I’ll get to work putting together a list of the other hundreds, perhaps as many as a thousand, threads that need to be deleted.
Vultures can't be choosers.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 418
January 19th, 2019 at 1:13:31 PM permalink

BBB wants to save darkoz from himself.

Too late for that, about 30 years..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 96
January 19th, 2019 at 1:22:23 PM permalink
I appreciate you all weighing in, but this won't be up to a forum vote. And we have, in the past, deleted posts that seem libelous, are obvious spam, and/or violate fair use standards from other publications. So there is precedent. I just don't think I should act unilaterally, so I have asked for an internal review.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 43
January 19th, 2019 at 1:22:56 PM permalink

IANAL. I've not seen anything that I know to be libellous, but then what do I know about US law. BBB has my opinion and has correctly (IMHO) referred this to site superiors. I don't know her motives, but I believe they are sincere.
If you are enjoying the game, you're already winning.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
Mission146
January 19th, 2019 at 1:24:18 PM permalink
Is it slanderous or libelous? Short form written communications like text messages and chat boards are usually treated as speech and not published writing. So slander, not libel. Not sure what happens for a serialized story published on a chat board.

But, also, it'd be hard to prove that untruths were knowingly told with a desire to cause harm when no identities were divulged.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
January 19th, 2019 at 1:33:01 PM permalink
I believe her intentions are good it just seems so heavy handed.

• Jump to: