OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 4955
November 13th, 2020 at 7:35:38 AM permalink
One for the admins: I insert links to some images in my posts and blog. I now discover that none of those images are showing.

E,g


I'm guessing that as part of fixing a recent security issuem that the forum is blocking third party content that is not https
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1367
  • Posts: 22724
Thanks for this post from:
Zuga
November 13th, 2020 at 7:55:19 AM permalink
Quote: OD

One for the admins: I insert links to some images in my posts and blog. I now discover that none of those images are showing.





Strange. It works for me.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 4955
November 13th, 2020 at 8:06:20 AM permalink
Yours is from an HTTPS trusted domain. I suspect Miroslavlav blocked externally hosted content that is not https
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
Doc
Doc 
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7056
November 13th, 2020 at 9:29:13 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Yours is from an HTTPS trusted domain. I suspect Miroslavlav blocked externally hosted content that is not https


I am not sure of what's involved in a "trusted domain", but your post made me worry about all of the images that I had posted in the Casino Chip of the Day thread. I checked, and all my images are still showing up (I think). My image links there begin with [url=http://www.4-sqr.com/images/.... I do not specifically call out "https".


BTW, your image in the first post of this thread is indeed showing up.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 4955
November 13th, 2020 at 10:14:38 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

BTW, your image in the first post of this thread is indeed showing up.

How odd! it works for me in Firefox but not Chrome. I use Ubuntu Linux
I'm guessing an obtuse chrome sequrity setting has been enabled. Usually it's Firefox that does such stupidity.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 4955
November 13th, 2020 at 10:22:16 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

How odd! it works for me in Firefox but not Chrome. I use Ubuntu Linux
I'm guessing an obtuse chrome sequrity setting has been enabled. Usually it's Firefox that does such stupidity.


Weird. Also fails with Chrome within a windows virtual machine hosted on my linux laptop
I've tried setting to minimum security and that didnt fix it,
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
miroslavlav
Administrator
miroslavlav
Joined: Nov 17, 2014
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 56
November 15th, 2020 at 2:25:29 PM permalink
Hi all,

it's that Chrome is automatically trying to load https images.
You can see it in this blog https://blog.chromium.org/2019/10/no-more-mixed-messages-about-https.html

In this part:
"In Chrome 81, mixed images will be autoupgraded to https://, and Chrome will block them by default if they fail to load over https://. Chrome 81 will be released to early release channels in February 2020."
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 4955
November 16th, 2020 at 6:21:48 AM permalink
Quote: miroslavlav

Hi all,

it's that Chrome is automatically trying to load https images.
You can see it in this blog https://blog.chromium.org/2019/10/no-more-mixed-messages-about-https.html

In this part:
"In Chrome 81, mixed images will be autoupgraded to https://, and Chrome will block them by default if they fail to load over https://. Chrome 81 will be released to early release channels in February 2020."


Thanks Miroslavlav,
I've installed SSL certificate on my server and it can now serve up the images as HTTPS: But I'm still annoyed, because doing that has now broken the VPN service that I run on that server. GRRRRRR.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
miroslavlav
Administrator
miroslavlav
Joined: Nov 17, 2014
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 56
November 16th, 2020 at 7:04:30 AM permalink
I see your image in chrome, so that fixed it

and sorry to hear about VPN service being broken now, hopefully you'll fix it quickly :)
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 4955
November 16th, 2020 at 8:48:41 AM permalink
Quote: miroslavlav

I see your image in chrome, so that fixed it

and sorry to hear about VPN service being broken now, hopefully you'll fix it quickly :)

Port 443 on my web server was in use as the vpn listener. I don't expect to be able to run the service on that port at the same time as running apache with https.
I had to research and fix enough issues to get this far. Wary of messing with it any further in case i end up having to rebuild the darned lot.
This server is serving multiple purposes so I'll probably fire up a few new servers to spread the load.
Thanks anyway for the diagnosis.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..

  • Jump to: