LostWages
LostWages
Joined: May 6, 2013
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 386
February 15th, 2017 at 11:49:13 AM permalink
Planning to be at MSS this coming 2-6 Apr 2017 to attend a VP Tournament at the Cal (and play some BJ in between!).
Does anyone know of a gym within walking distance from the MSS?
If further away, maybe the bus line that stops there?

Thanks,
LW
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
February 15th, 2017 at 11:54:22 AM permalink
There's a 24 hr. Fitness and a "FreeStyle CrossFit near Downtown. Check them out on Yelp. I don't know about walking there though. The neighborhood around MSS is sketchy, and you have to cross under the tracks to get to the 24 hr. Fitness.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Thanks for this post from:
LostWages
February 15th, 2017 at 11:58:31 AM permalink
Many casinos have rudimentary exercise rooms although full gyms are usually found where real estate is cheaper and construction is newer. Obviously I'm not the type to make use of gym. Unfortunately.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Thanks for this post from:
LostWages
February 15th, 2017 at 3:29:19 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Many casinos have rudimentary exercise rooms although full gyms are usually found where real estate is cheaper and construction is newer. Obviously I'm not the type to make use of gym. Unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure there is no "gym" at Main Street Station, the California, nor the Fremont. The closest thing they have is a concrete pond on the roof of the Cal. At 40 ft. long, and like 40 degrees, it is unsuitable for lap swimming.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1429
  • Posts: 24504
February 15th, 2017 at 3:49:08 PM permalink
This is a little off topic but if I want a workout in any hotel of at least five floors I will climb the stairs up and down. Lots of times they will be marked "Emergency exit only," but pay no attention. The staff use them all the time as well as smokers staying in non-smoking rooms. You may wish to prop open the door to your floor with something, as sometimes the door won't open leaving the stairwell.

Once when I stayed at the Planet Hollywood I went up and down the steps leading to the Bellagio for an hour. I thought security might come over and hassle me, but they never did.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
LostWages
LostWages
Joined: May 6, 2013
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 386
February 15th, 2017 at 5:21:47 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

There's a 24 hr. Fitness and a "FreeStyle CrossFit near Downtown. Check them out on Yelp. I don't know about walking there though. The neighborhood around MSS is sketchy, and you have to cross under the tracks to get to the 24 hr. Fitness.



What can I say? Ay! Caramba, Ayecarumba! Now I have something to look for on Google Maps - which I could do on my own, but I've frequently found it's best with even minimum feedback from the Forum folks! I could take the walking as my exercise, but I find that boring. I just got started on a gym routine this past 2 weeks, and wanted to maintain my routines. Thanks!
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
LostWages
LostWages
Joined: May 6, 2013
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 386
February 15th, 2017 at 5:36:12 PM permalink
[
Quote: Wizard

This is a little off topic but if I want a workout in any hotel of at least five floors I will climb the stairs up and down. Lots of times they will be marked "Emergency exit only," but pay no attention. The staff use them all the time as well as smokers staying in non-smoking rooms. You may wish to prop open the door to your floor with something, as sometimes the door won't open leaving the stairwell.

Once when I stayed at the Planet Hollywood I went up and down the steps leading to the Bellagio for an hour. I thought security might come over and hassle me, but they never did.



I'm honored to have your input, Michael! My wife says to bring her to the big malls, and then I can walk around in circles . . . boring . . . but I'll figure out something, and the walking up & down floors inside the MSS will be a good bet. If I do 5 round trips up & down, I let myself play 30 min of blackjack! So I hope to have a lot of "breaks". For me, it means I played my max bet of my ramp . . . I don't have a rabbit's foot or good luck charms, but I always bring my menehune (good luck spirit) with me to Las Vegas!



I've been making continuous good use of your trainers for BJ, BJ w/card counting, VP Deuces Wild Strategy, and for my upcoming VP Tournament in Apr at the Cal, I've been using your DDB game! I spread the word on the Forum when there's an opportunity.

LW
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1429
  • Posts: 24504
February 15th, 2017 at 6:14:59 PM permalink
Quote: LostWages

I'm honored to have your input, Michael! My wife says to bring her to the big malls, and then I can walk around in circles . . . boring . . . but I'll figure out something, and the walking up & down floors inside the MSS will be a good bet. If I do 5 round trips up & down,



Thank you. The MSS hotel tower is about 12 stories. I'd strive to climb 100 flights total.

I have been looking for someone to accept my challenge to a unicycle race for years, should be you so inclined.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
LostWages
LostWages
Joined: May 6, 2013
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 386
February 15th, 2017 at 7:37:50 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I have been looking for someone to accept my challenge to a unicycle race for years, should be you so inclined.


Uh . . . I'll pass on this round. Would love to have my swim coach consider this unicycle challenge if he gets to Las Vegas. He's a triathlon-type, and a bicycle enthusiast -- he bikes to work every other day (20 miles round trip) for his health kick and to save gas!

The 12 MSS storeys would demolish me. I was (very) modestly referring to 5 round trips from the 1st floor BJ tables to 2nd floor and back . . . ^--0-0--^

If it were a single 25-yard lap under warm conditions (min 84 degrees, < 5 mph wind), I'd take you on. I can only swim 1 lap at a time due to my lung surgery some years ago, which has left me with constant SOB (shortness of breath, not the "other" SOB). My best finish is 14 SPL - 14 strokes per lap (for the solitary lap), but when I'm burdened with VOG, my SPL goes up to 18! ;-)
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
LostWages
LostWages
Joined: May 6, 2013
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 386
April 21st, 2017 at 1:31:44 PM permalink
Quote: LostWages

Planning to be at MSS this coming 2-6 Apr 2017 to attend a VP Tournament at the Cal (and play some BJ in between!).
Does anyone know of a gym within walking distance from the MSS?
If further away, maybe the bus line that stops there?

Thanks,
LW



Downtown Gym

Quote: Ayecarumba

There's a 24 hr. Fitness and a "FreeStyle CrossFit near Downtown.



Quote: FleaStiff

Many casinos have rudimentary exercise rooms although full gyms are usually found where real estate is cheaper and construction is newer.



Quote: Wizard

This is a little off topic but if I want a workout in any hotel of at least five floors I will climb the stairs up and down.



Thanks everyone for your input. Until I discovered the pool/workout room was opened at the Cal, I was resigned to taking the Wiz's suggestion of just climbing up & down the stairs. Can't do 5, but I can almost manage walking up & down from the skywalk down to the MSS main floor, and back up. Sometimes a walk all the way down the skywalk to the Cal's mezzanine and back does the trick for me.

Anyway, I've posted a reply to my own OP - the Cal now has a fairly decent workout room AND newly renovated pool next to each other on the 13th floor! See pictures at:

http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/las-vegas-casinos/boyd-gaming-casinos/28673-the-cal-r-e-n-o-v-a-t-i-o-n-s/#post586675
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)

  • Jump to: