odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
October 21st, 2015 at 3:17:53 AM permalink
Has anyone else noticed that there is a spellcheck feature that comes into play automatically here?

It overrides my regular automatic spellcheck - it does the same thing, underlining misspelled words and you can right-click to get options to correct. I'm pretty sure it is a feature of this site [I don't run into it at DT for example]

The only problem is that it doesn't have a very good dictionary.

PS: I'd like to disable the feature since it overrides the checker I already have, that could be put into preferences?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 50
October 21st, 2015 at 3:31:33 AM permalink
we were just testing it. its gone now. we r looking into installing some sort of plugin which will allow spellcheck per button clikc
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
October 21st, 2015 at 4:35:47 AM permalink
The spillcheck is definitely working!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 50
October 21st, 2015 at 6:10:36 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

The spillcheck is definitely working!

Lol :)

Btw most browers have their own auto spellcheck. So will reevaluate whether we should install this plugin or not.

Keen to hear what others think...
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 21st, 2015 at 6:28:28 AM permalink
Quote: Zuga

Btw most browers have their own auto spellcheck. So will reevaluate whether we should install this plugin or not.

I think you'd want to make sure that what you're doing has at least as many words as the dictionaries used by the checkers available in Chrome and IE, plus additional coverage for math and gambling terms if that's possible. But, if you can't improve on whatever the major browsers are using now, then you're probably miss-allocating time and money when you could be making a bigger difference developing other areas (I'm sure you have a list - I don't have any super-cool ideas to suggest or anything).
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Joeman
Joeman 
  • Threads: 36
October 21st, 2015 at 6:55:13 AM permalink
Quote: Zuga

I agree with RDW above. I usually am using Chrome, and its spellcheck is sufficient. I would rather not use a site's spellcheck if my browser already has one.

I really don't see misspelled words being a big problem here. A bigger problem I see is the misuse of words that are homophones of the correct words, but spellcheckers won't typically catch those anyway, since they are real words, just used incorrectly.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
  • Jump to: