Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1222
August 16th, 2019 at 12:11:21 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Here's a video from a classroom during the Loma Prieta quake in 1989. Note that the majority of the folks who tried to run either got stuck at the door, fell over furniture or other people, or were hit by debris falling from the ceiling. If you think about it, there aren't enough doorways, nor enough space in doorways for everyone. Also, you run the risk of getting your fingers pinched off when the swinging door slams shut.

One needs to take under advisement whether getting hurt in a stampede might be a factor, like in that classroom. The baby was probably right to get under a car.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 16th, 2019 at 12:27:18 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

She seemed to miss the point on the Zombie thing. Yes you should destroy something out to eat your brains, but I am uncomfortable with enjoying knocking off something that is human-like. In fact most hunters agree there is a limited amount of joy to take from killing per se, no matter how much you like hunting as a whole, or it is perverse.

Heather has strong opinions on things that are difficult to dislodge. Regarding zombies, I think she had a bad mental image of them, like this one.

As evidence to my side that not all zombies are a brain-eating threat, consider the Thriller video. Even in the nightmare portion, they were darn good dancers. As seen after the awakening from the nightmare, they can still function secretly in society quite well. In fact, I suspect odiousgambit may be a zombie.

p.s. Look carefully at the zombie on the right side of the screen at the 11:40 point. I think that may be a reference to Tor Johnson (see above image) from Plan 9 from Outer Space.

100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 490
August 16th, 2019 at 4:17:59 PM permalink
hey wiz, how about a link on the 1st page of this thread to the recorded live streams?

and/or update your live stream page to point to the recordings?
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOddsMustBeCrazy/live!
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 290
August 16th, 2019 at 5:10:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I suspect odiousgambit may be a zombie.

you promised not to reveal that!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 16th, 2019 at 5:18:01 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

hey wiz, how about a link on the 1st page of this thread to the recorded live streams?

Good idea. Here is the latest one.

100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 490
August 16th, 2019 at 5:47:13 PM permalink

Good idea. Here is the latest one.

and maybe a short list of the major things discussed in that livestream?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 290
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
August 19th, 2019 at 5:41:40 AM permalink

I suspect odiousgambit may be a zombie.

I've been pondering this shocking claim for quite a while now. Instead I expected by now someone here would claim I was a vampire, but perhaps you know that has been discredited since people have been saying that for 800 years now, sheesh.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 20th, 2019 at 2:25:10 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I've been pondering this shocking claim for quite a while now. Instead I expected by now someone here would claim I was a vampire, but perhaps you know that has been discredited since people have been saying that for 800 years now, sheesh.

Good one!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 20th, 2019 at 2:26:46 PM permalink
The date of the next Live Stream will be Aug 29. I should be at Burning Man on that day, but, alas, it's not my year.

As always, I'm soliciting questions here if I don't get enough from the live audience.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 230
August 20th, 2019 at 3:23:51 PM permalink

The date of the next Live Stream will be Aug 29. I should be at Burning Man on that day, but, alas, it's not my year.

As always, I'm soliciting questions here if I don't get enough from the live audience.

Maybe dress the set in a Burning Man theme? Burning Man costumes?

I'd like to see an attempt at a quarter catch record "live".

What's the largest amount of money you have ever risked on a single wager?

Should the legal age for gambling be lowered to 18?

What's the latest regarding the self driving bus that was testing downtown some time ago?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci

• Jump to: