RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 37
October 15th, 2015 at 6:53:47 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Not even close. We need more.

I want to learn things. I find that easier when there are smart people that I disagree with having discussions. If there were more of them here, I could learn more.

I have to agree...I learned more during the discussions about how certain things worked and the math involved (including some disagreements) than I do now, when most of the discussion about math goes to whether the dice will be impacted by the temperature...
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 172
October 15th, 2015 at 11:20:45 AM permalink
I'm not here anywhere near as often as I used to be. WoV doesn't fit my needs, satisfy my curiosity, nor appeal to my social side the way it used to. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't really matter why. Too many times of checking in and nothing was worth following, I guess. Too many times it was all about The Suspension List.

It is what it is. Maybe the pool of possible members isn't as big as one would think it would be. The forum has always appeared to appeal more to APs and cerebral types, and hasn't really welcomed the casual players who make up the vast majority of gamblers and Vegas visitors. Most of us don't gamble because of the math, we gamble because it's fun. I think the best result for someone like myself is (for example) knowing that the Pairs Plus bet at 3 Card costs about 7%, and that the AKQ of spades is 22,099 to 1 against. Stuff like that, from WoO. Then I can decide what to play when I go fishing for a big hit.

Is there room here for that guy, hanging out with card counters and slot vultures and hole carders, who seem to have staked these pixels jealously as their own? Hard to say, I think. Everyone will have their own answer. But gamblers tend to be non-sociable people, in my experience. Not bad people, but not social. So they tend to make less than welcoming forum members.

I'm sitting here wondering if I should post this or delete it and let things alone. Some of the ideas are a bit half baked, and a lot of it has been written and deleted. In the end, it doesn't really matter. I like folks here well enough, but I like everybody pretty much. As always, I encourage anyone who is interested to read Clay Shirky's A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy. And if you've already read it, read it again. Groups behave as consistently as dice or cards do, they just have different rules. Woe to the social software designer who does not pay attention to those rules.
NO KILL I
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 77
October 15th, 2015 at 1:26:33 PM permalink
Mosca,

I am one who misses you. And I really appreciate this post. That link to Shirky's transcript was excellent as well, thanks.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 402
October 15th, 2015 at 3:13:05 PM permalink
There were more interesting topics a few
years ago, better arguments. I have almost
19K posts because of that time. I post
a fraction of what I used to.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
October 15th, 2015 at 3:17:22 PM permalink
That's what happens when interesting members are banned.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 164
October 15th, 2015 at 3:32:12 PM permalink
I feel pretty much the same as Mosca. I still visit fairly often, but don't post as much as I used to. And this has nothing to do with the new owners or new site. I cut back a few years ago, partially because my online access at work has been cut back. So if I'm online during the workday, it's on my phone. Posting on an iPhone (or any smartphone) is a PITA.

For what it's worth, I think threads like these are destructive, and are something of a self-suffillng prophecy. I.E. Have a bunch of people at work ask one person if they feel well, and chances are, they'll go home feeling ill. Same thing here. Mention how much it sucks here, and sooner or later, it starts to really suck here.

For the record, I like it here and I never hated the new format. And, to a certain extent, I wish I was still a moderator...
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
October 15th, 2015 at 3:34:32 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

There were more interesting topics a few
years ago, better arguments. I have almost
19K posts because of that time. I post
a fraction of what I used to.

Many of the gambling topics ran their course. The good OT posts are at DT.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 402
October 15th, 2015 at 3:39:02 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

That's what happens when interesting members are banned.

Actually, that's true in this case. B9 was
a prolific poster who kept lots of
threads interesting. With him gone
this is a much duller place.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
October 15th, 2015 at 3:48:28 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Actually, that's true in this case. B9 was
a prolific poster who kept lots of
threads interesting. With him gone
this is a much duller place.

B9 helped keep more balance to the forum. With him gone the board tilts way more left and is thus just not as interesting.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 425
October 15th, 2015 at 4:25:23 PM permalink
how was traffic year over year BEFORE the Wiz decided on doing his (ill-fated) site re-design on Wizardofodds?

And do you think the new owners are on track to breakeven w/their $2.4M investment?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)

• Jump to: