Thread Rating:

Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 139
September 19th, 2014 at 12:21:16 PM permalink
Looks like a new contest, who can go out with the best last post.

Early leader in the clubhouse.....AxiomOfChoice, but by no means the course record, and plenty of players still on the course.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 40
September 19th, 2014 at 12:22:28 PM permalink
I definitely need to go back and identify all the members that lambasted Wiz for being such a bad business person........wonder what percentage of them have ever sold any business asset for six figures, let alone seven?
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 37
September 19th, 2014 at 12:22:47 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Looks like a new contest, who can go out with the best last post.

Early leader in the clubhouse.....AxiomOfChoice, but by no means the course record, and plenty of players still on the course.

The greenies are gonna spread some red soon!!
beerseason
beerseason
  • Threads: 4
September 19th, 2014 at 12:26:07 PM permalink
Mass chaos lol. Anarchy on WoV.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
September 19th, 2014 at 12:34:31 PM permalink
Any golden parachutes for our moderators?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 77
September 19th, 2014 at 12:36:44 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Mike said that he and the admins don't read them, not that they can't.

Of course they can be read. They are stored in plaintext in a fucking database. You don't need a "smart web designer", you just need someone with access to the database and some kind of a basic clue about which end of a computer is up.

In any system where you can recover your password, it's not possible to make them unreadable. In a system where you can't recover a forgotten password, it's possible, but a pain in the ass.

I'm going to address just this (not the sale) from my knowledge, and I could stand corrected from JB and Wizard. Admins do not have any access to PM's. We do not have access to passwords. We are able to edit and delete publicly posted threads and posts to a thread to a limited extent; we are not able to edit polls.

It is possible that JB can recover a forgotten password, I suppose, but my best understanding is that he cannot; when someone forgets one, he verifies their ID via the email they originally used to sign up and other processes, then allows for a password reset. I could be wrong about this. JB can, with some work, port/graft one ID's posts into another. (I found that out during the "AcesandEights" duplication). Regular admins can not do these things.

I am not aware of any future intent or past activity in selling or marketing any forum member info to any third party or new owner. But that's getting beyond my knowledge of how the deal is structured, so I'll leave that to Mike.

Please accept my congratulations, Mike, on the sale.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 330
September 19th, 2014 at 12:38:37 PM permalink
Hey BBB are you staying on as a mod?
"Just because you're winning don't mean you're the lucky one" -- Breakdown Guns 'n Roses
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 70
September 19th, 2014 at 12:40:56 PM permalink
Bbb did the mods know about the sale. Just curious if he informed you all or was this thread news to you as well.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 66
September 19th, 2014 at 12:41:55 PM permalink
Alot of responses and questions.
I see the Wiz is on the site right now.
Probabbly reading this thread, I am hoping for a post from the Wiz.
(Or he left his browser open on this site and not at his computer)
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
September 19th, 2014 at 12:42:51 PM permalink
You guys are really paranoid. This is an internet marketer looking to place ads, not a b&m looking to out APs.

Congrats Mike I heard this rumor last week and was waiting for it to play out. You earned it for all your hard work. Happy to see you are staying on board.

• Jump to: