rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
April 5th, 2013 at 5:20:04 PM permalink
okay theres two different promos im utilizing at redrock. one is a raffle where all players are able to place only one drawing ticket in a drum thats spun. the other is a video poker tourney.

for the drum, i was curious if there is any advantage to be had here by:

1) placing the ticket in the drum earlier in the day vs placing the ticket in the drum closer to drawing time.
2) cutting the drawing ticket (which is delivered in a mailer saying cut on this dotted line with scissors) with scissors so its either slightly bigger or slightly smaller or slightly irregular to other tickets.

the video poker tourney is welcome for everyone and only top 20 get paid. its DDBP. i was curious about others thoughts on strategy changes such as:

1) keeping only one unsuited high card
2) keeping three to a royal
3) keeping two to a royal over a pair (without a T? only if it includes an A? if the pair is 55-TT? if the pair is JJ-KK?)
4) splitting two pair if it contains a pair of 2s-4s

and anything else anyone can think of.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
April 5th, 2013 at 8:02:08 PM permalink
Double VP points on Sunday 4/5.

I had the thought of cutting the drawing ticket larger too. I'd read the complete rules to see if it's mentioned. Hate to be drawn and DQ'd.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 5th, 2013 at 8:52:02 PM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

I had the thought of cutting the drawing ticket larger too. I'd read the complete rules to see if it's mentioned. Hate to be drawn and DQ'd.

They let you make your own tickets? That would be bush league for sure. They should be using their own tickets and writing your name on them.

As for the VP tourney strategy, you definitely should be more aggressive toward the royal. Especially if it is a top heavy payout.

As to your specific questions, rude:

1) Generally yes. only hold Ace, Jack, Queen, King in that order of preference. If you had AKQJ w/o any suited cards, I would probably hold that.
2) Yes, except when you have trips maybe.
3) for 5s-Ts, you could gamble the royal I guess. I definitely wouldn't for KK-JJ. For 22-44 you're losing about 1/3rd of a betting unit on KQ suited instead, so that's probably close. To be technical, it depends on places paid/participants.
4) No.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
April 5th, 2013 at 10:59:24 PM permalink
They're in the mailer... with a small opportunity to cut the ticket larger.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 6th, 2013 at 5:44:57 AM permalink
Larger means heavier which means as they turn the drum ... don't you want smaller and lighter?
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
April 6th, 2013 at 11:05:32 AM permalink
I'm no physicist but a gallon of water is also heavier than a quart of water. Doesn't mean one will sink and one won't when placed in water. But if you blindly reach into the water you are more likely to touch the gallon than the quart.

The thought is more surface area to grab when the drawing actually occurs.

Anyone go last night? Can you estimate how many tickets were in the drum?
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
April 6th, 2013 at 11:42:41 AM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

The thought is more surface area to grab when the drawing actually occurs.

My related "strategy" would be to fold the ticket into quarters, then unfold it, leaving a bit of bend so that it tends to occupy just a slightly larger volume than a flat ticket. I have no idea whether that would help to even an infinitesimal degree.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
April 6th, 2013 at 12:00:11 PM permalink
i went last night around 6 something. drum looked maybe 1/6 to a 1/5 full. checked today and didnt win anything. so sounds like next time i should cut it slightly larger and put some creases in it.
  • Jump to: