kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
September 10th, 2020 at 10:18:41 AM permalink
The NFR, which has been a staple in Vegas during my time here, running 10 days over the first 2 weekends each December has opted for Texas this year rather than Vegas. They wouldn't have been allowed to have fans at the event (as per current Vegas restrictions) and with 170,000 that attend, that would be a problem. Texas has only a 50% capacity restriction currently.

I have always sort of made fun of the NFR, the people involved and how they mosey along, talk, walk, eat slowly, but it really is a rather big event during a slow time of year and will be a hit to the Vegas economy. Hopefully, 2021 things can get back to normal and we will see our Cowboy (rodeo) friends again.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
September 10th, 2020 at 10:46:23 AM permalink
I am a little surprised they're not adding steer roping to the NFR since it's in Texas. (The Steer Roping finals are being held in Mulvane, KS, for far less money.)

I have heard two reasons why steer roping isn't held in Vegas; one, Thomas & Mack isn't big enough (you need more room than for other events, for some reason); two, it's crueler than the other rodeo events (when the steer is roped, the horse turns, causing the steer to be "tripped" over to one side), and not all rodeos hold the event. However, I seem to recall at least one all-around world champion getting the title in part because of steer roping money.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
September 10th, 2020 at 2:23:29 PM permalink
One great tweet, a lady offered her ex husband in case someone wanted an 8 second ride.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
MJGolf
MJGolf
  • Threads: 8
September 10th, 2020 at 8:09:36 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

The NFR, which has been a staple in Vegas during my time here, running 10 days over the first 2 weekends each December has opted for Texas this year rather than Vegas. They wouldn't have been allowed to have fans at the event (as per current Vegas restrictions) and with 170,000 that attend, that would be a problem. Texas has only a 50% capacity restriction currently.

I have always sort of made fun of the NFR, the people involved and how they mosey along, talk, walk, eat slowly, but it really is a rather big event during a slow time of year and will be a hit to the Vegas economy. Hopefully, 2021 things can get back to normal and we will see our Cowboy (rodeo) friends again.

Karma can be a bitch sometimes. Vegas stole the NFR from Oklahoma City, where it had been for years. That loss (along with other factors) caused the powers that be here to start our MAPS program, which built up our public facilities and buildings in many ways, in fact, also let us have the wherewithal to bring the OKC Thunder NBA team to our city. Maybe we should try to get the NFR back where it belongs in "cowboy country". LOL
  • Jump to: