Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 2226
Joined: Feb 24, 2011
February 15th, 2017 at 12:39:37 PM permalink
I am looking to stay Downtown with Wife and adult kids on a Summer Trip and wondered if anyone had stayed at The Plaza since its recent upgrades. Wiz's report in the Hotels Section is based on a 2010 stay and I believe the owners have invested in upgrades and refurbishments since that report. The Pool Deck is new as of about 12 months ago I believe. I'll be getting three rooms for everyone on the trip and plan to spend most of our time taking advantage of better gambling and restaurant values Downtown as the Strip has become ridiculous. That being said, this is a trip with the girls along, so I want a decent quality room that is clean and comfortable.

Also looking at Downtown Grand as an option or The D (a bit concerned about the noise level outside The D way into the early morning as the crew won't all be out until all hours). Maybe should consider Main Street Station as well.

Appreciate input on recent stays at any of the mentioned properties. Thanks in advance.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
  • Posts: 14267
Joined: May 21, 2013
February 15th, 2017 at 1:22:49 PM permalink
I was very happy at the D both times I stayed, very comfortable as a single woman in the hotel. Good security on the elevators, very clean, refurbished within the last couple years.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 627
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
February 15th, 2017 at 1:40:05 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Appreciate input on recent stays at any of the mentioned properties. Thanks in advance.



Honestly... I can get you a suite at some of the properties downtown for as long as you like. It isn't the best suite in Vegas but very acceptable. I will give you the 50% rate and I can also do this with food, beverage, cigars...etc. This goes for anyone else looking for rooms downtown or dinners that is going to pay instead of getting comped. I will save you tons of cash. PM me if you want to work it out.

If your bringing the kids... I would suggest a place downtown that I can get you. You will have a nice large suite with an adjoining room for the kids.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 2226
Joined: Feb 24, 2011
February 15th, 2017 at 2:12:22 PM permalink
BBB, what was noise like at The D on a weekend...that one stage is right next to the Hotel Tower I believe.

Monet, I appreciate the offer, but I'll want to book these accommodations directly with the hotel in advance.
Blonde4ever
Blonde4ever
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 169
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
February 15th, 2017 at 2:24:07 PM permalink
Hi there!
I stay at the Plaza every six months and love it. I am also a fan of the D however it can be noisy. If you ask for a room facing the mountains at the Plaza you won't hear a thing. It is very peaceful.
I am heading there again soon.

Here is my review from November with pictures of the new pool area.

https://www.vegasbright.com/2016/11/14/a-great-stay-and-lots-of-news-for-plaza-las-vegas/
Blonde4ever's articles on https://blonde4everdoesvegas.blogspot.ca/
Blonde4ever
Blonde4ever
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 169
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
February 15th, 2017 at 2:26:20 PM permalink
Here are pictures of my Plaza room from that trip.....

http://blonde4ever.yuku.com/topic/35282/My-Plaza-Stay-OctNov-2016
Blonde4ever's articles on https://blonde4everdoesvegas.blogspot.ca/
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 2226
Joined: Feb 24, 2011
February 15th, 2017 at 2:39:27 PM permalink
Wow Blonde...that was exactly the information I was looking for...just bookmarked your site, appreciate the info very much!!
Blonde4ever
Blonde4ever
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 169
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
February 15th, 2017 at 2:55:45 PM permalink
Glad I could help!
Blonde4ever's articles on https://blonde4everdoesvegas.blogspot.ca/
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 11006
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
February 15th, 2017 at 3:31:00 PM permalink
Seems like the pool is important, so here's my 2¢. No refunds. :)

The pool at the D sucks.

The pool at Downtown Grand is a bit weird, but the pool deck is nice, with good staff/service.

I've never stayed at Plaza.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 627
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
February 15th, 2017 at 4:13:09 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Monet, I appreciate the offer, but I'll want to book these accommodations directly with the hotel in advance.



It is very simple you just book your room and charge all food, beverage and what not to your room. When your ready to check out you pay me cash and I pay for all your bills with comp. I don't even have to be on the room.

I understand that you just want to do things on your own though... I respect that.
LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 386
Joined: May 6, 2013
February 15th, 2017 at 5:15:24 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm


Appreciate input on recent stays at any of the mentioned properties. Thanks in advance.



This is directly from the Downtown Grand's website - but I've never been there myself.



I understand you wanted input from stays, but the pool picture was just so appealing to post!

I would go there myself this coming April 2017, but the temperature forecast is in the low-mid 70s -- way too chilly for me, even with a wetsuit!

If your pocket book allows, the Golden Nugget is said to have a HEATED pool, but I've also never stayed there before.
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
February 15th, 2017 at 6:30:13 PM permalink
Quote: LostWages

...If your pocket book allows, the Golden Nugget is said to have a HEATED pool, but I've also never stayed there before.



There's sharks in their pool.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
  • Posts: 14267
Joined: May 21, 2013
February 15th, 2017 at 7:58:48 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

BBB, what was noise like at The D on a weekend...that one stage is right next to the Hotel Tower I believe.

Monet, I appreciate the offer, but I'll want to book these accommodations directly with the hotel in advance.



If you ask for a higher floor facing away from Fremont you won't have a noise issue. The FSE was pretty loud when I stayed that time, the casino noise was not a factor in the rooms, but I was 4th floor or higher, so it might be on the lower floors.

Btw, if you do the D, they have a decent loss rebate on signup. It kicks in right away. Also a good coupon book on check-in. Last I knew, anyway. And they do comp on play at checkout.

Geoff Hall likes 4 Queens very much. He's not on here lately, but I thought I'd mention it. He posted pics of his rooms the last couple times, and they looked fine to me, though older than the D.

I don't like the perfume they use at the Plaza, and it permeates everything, so I don't go there much. I've heard their rooms are decent.

I can't recommend the Golden Nugget. They were my first favorite almost 30 years ago, but the rooms are small and dark and the cleaning crews indifferent. I also found their buffet to be stale and it made me sick.

They also jerked me around big time on my reservation. I prepaid, was not able to get there until 4am, and they'd given away my room, did not refund, and charged me a higher rate than I had booked to get back in for the rest of my stay. I had called them to let them know I was delayed, and they seemed to handle it, but then crapped on me and were quite snotty about it when I finally arrived. I don't know what the point of pre-paying them was if they were going to be like that, so all I can do is warn others away.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 627
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
February 15th, 2017 at 8:47:46 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

If you ask for a higher floor facing away from Fremont you won't have a noise issue. The FSE was pretty loud when I stayed that time, the casino noise was not a factor in the rooms, but I was 4th floor or higher, so it might be on the lower floors.

Btw, if you do the D, they have a decent loss rebate on signup. It kicks in right away. Also a good coupon book on check-in. Last I knew, anyway. And they do comp on play at checkout.

Geoff Hall likes 4 Queens very much. He's not on here lately, but I thought I'd mention it. He posted pics of his rooms the last couple times, and they looked fine to me, though older than the D.

I don't like the perfume they use at the Plaza, and it permeates everything, so I don't go there much. I've heard their rooms are decent.

I can't recommend the Golden Nugget. They were my first favorite almost 30 years ago, but the rooms are small and dark and the cleaning crews indifferent. I also found their buffet to be stale and it made me sick.

They also jerked me around big time on my reservation. I prepaid, was not able to get there until 4am, and they'd given away my room, did not refund, and charged me a higher rate than I had booked to get back in for the rest of my stay. I had called them to let them know I was delayed, and they seemed to handle it, but then crapped on me and were quite snotty about it when I finally arrived. I don't know what the point of pre-paying them was if they were going to be like that, so all I can do is warn others away.



I get 6 free rooms a month at the D, that I hardly ever use... The Four Queens... I can set anyone up for weeks on end. I never have any problems with any of the Casinos downtown. I have known many of the Hosts all over downtown for over 10+ years. I understand that people have to do things the way they want and it's a trust thing but when it comes to comps or rooms and downtown I honestly have some of the best connections. I don't like to really meet or bother anyone but if I make an arrangement with someone... I take care of them better than family. I have so much comp it really is silly. I can't keep up with it and that is why I put this offer out there. Recently I lost my Plaza connection but if you just want to get into the pools at any casino it is really easy. Go to any front desk and just ask for a room key so that you can get into the pool. Most of the time you will have no problem. Show a 10 spot in good faith if you don't want any trouble. If that doesn't work... which means you did something wrong... you can always go to VIP or a host and ask. Let them know your here on vacation and going to do some gambling later at night.
Blonde4ever
Blonde4ever
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 169
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
February 16th, 2017 at 6:08:05 AM permalink
BTW...the new Plaza pool is heated as well.
The freshener in the Plaza casino was too strong a few years ago but it has been dialed way back.
I don't find it to be too much anymore. YMMV
Blonde4ever's articles on https://blonde4everdoesvegas.blogspot.ca/
SM777
SM777
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 762
Joined: Apr 8, 2016
February 16th, 2017 at 7:05:02 AM permalink
Quote: monet0412

I get 6 free rooms a month at the D, that I hardly ever use... The Four Queens... I can set anyone up for weeks on end. I never have any problems with any of the Casinos downtown. I have known many of the Hosts all over downtown for over 10+ years. I understand that people have to do things the way they want and it's a trust thing but when it comes to comps or rooms and downtown I honestly have some of the best connections. I don't like to really meet or bother anyone but if I make an arrangement with someone... I take care of them better than family. I have so much comp it really is silly. I can't keep up with it and that is why I put this offer out there. Recently I lost my Plaza connection but if you just want to get into the pools at any casino it is really easy. Go to any front desk and just ask for a room key so that you can get into the pool. Most of the time you will have no problem. Show a 10 spot in good faith if you don't want any trouble. If that doesn't work... which means you did something wrong... you can always go to VIP or a host and ask. Let them know your here on vacation and going to do some gambling later at night.




Can you mention your comps and free rooms again please? I don't think anyone has noticed yet.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
  • Posts: 14267
Joined: May 21, 2013
February 16th, 2017 at 12:09:36 PM permalink
Quote: Blonde4ever

BTW...the new Plaza pool is heated as well.
The freshener in the Plaza casino was too strong a few years ago but it has been dialed way back.
I don't find it to be too much anymore. YMMV



Thanks; I'm very glad to hear it. The last time I was there was almost 2 years ago, and it was still overwhelming, though Oscar's was relatively free of it on the 2nd floor. But I had to leave when I was playing Freebet because it got my allergies going to the point of hives. I'm glad they figured out it was costing them business.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 2106
Joined: Apr 16, 2010
February 16th, 2017 at 12:10:26 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

I am looking to stay Downtown with Wife and adult kids on a Summer Trip and wondered if anyone had stayed at The Plaza since its recent upgrades. Wiz's report in the Hotels Section is based on a 2010 stay and I believe the owners have invested in upgrades and refurbishments since that report. The Pool Deck is new as of about 12 months ago I believe. I'll be getting three rooms for everyone on the trip and plan to spend most of our time taking advantage of better gambling and restaurant values Downtown as the Strip has become ridiculous. That being said, this is a trip with the girls along, so I want a decent quality room that is clean and comfortable.

Also looking at Downtown Grand as an option or The D (a bit concerned about the noise level outside The D way into the early morning as the crew won't all be out until all hours). Maybe should consider Main Street Station as well.
Appreciate input on recent stays at any of the mentioned properties. Thanks in advance.



Do yourself and your family a big favor. Stay at the Golden Nugget instead. Rush tower, Gold tower, all of the rooms are very good. The rooms are much nicer, it's NOT much more expensive, and the pool is amazing! Everyone will have a blast riding the slide through the shark tank. Later in the evening, your family can enjoy a great dinner at The Grato Italian restaurant, that looks out at the pool. The prices at the restaurant are very reasonable, and the entrees are large enough that you guys can split meals if you really want to save a little.

Regarding the Plaza...ho hum, and it smells like they use way to much cheap air freshener to hide the smell of the garbage.
LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 386
Joined: May 6, 2013
February 16th, 2017 at 5:10:44 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Stay at the Golden Nugget instead

Earlier in this thread, I had also recommended GN. Our first visit to Las Vegas was in 1997, and we stayed at the GN and have good memories.

I'm smiling because after 20 years, the dish we remembered is still being served: bread pudding (warm, not cold or room temperature) with bourbon sauce (or just heavy cream for the younger ones).



Sorry to read in this thread that Beachbumbabs does not have pleasant memories of her GN stay - so Paradigm, just be forewarned!
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
February 16th, 2017 at 5:14:19 PM permalink
I'll vouch for the Nuggs too.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
  • Posts: 14267
Joined: May 21, 2013
February 16th, 2017 at 6:15:32 PM permalink
The GN story I told happened a little over 2 years ago. I had stayed with them a dozen times in the years before that with no problems, starting in 1988. I think there was an ownership change before my most recent stay, and that may have affected the quality.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11883
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
February 16th, 2017 at 8:30:13 PM permalink
Unless they changed them recently the spa tower suites at GN have mirrored slats over the bed. It could be romantic, unless you are there with your mother.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 2106
Joined: Apr 16, 2010
February 17th, 2017 at 1:38:24 AM permalink
When staying downtown, you're only choice really is just the Golden Nugget. Every casino down there, with the exception of the GN is a smelly grind joint. The nastiest of all is of course the Golden Gate. It belongs in a third world country.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
February 17th, 2017 at 3:35:14 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

When staying downtown, you're only choice really is just the Golden Nugget. Every casino down there, with the exception of the GN is a smelly grind joint. The nastiest of all is of course the Golden Gate. It belongs in a third world country.



Darn...I guess I have really bad taste in smelly grind joints. I have stayed at the Golden Gate (rooms are small) and play there every trip. I kind of like the place...
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11883
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
February 17th, 2017 at 9:12:19 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

Darn...I guess I have really bad taste in smelly grind joints. I have stayed at the Golden Gate (rooms are small) and play there every trip. I kind of like the place...



The Golden Gate is one of my favorite places to play some cheap BJ. About twice a year my wife wants to play some BJ and she isn't comfortable betting more than $10. We will go to GG because the drink service is good and we like the small casino atmosphere. I also like the fact that when Derek Stevens bought the place he was always there coming up to tables, introducing himself, and occasionally just sitting and talking with people at the BJ table. Little gestures like that mean a lot to me,
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
jerijerr
jerijerr
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 7
Joined: Mar 19, 2017
March 19th, 2017 at 4:58:14 PM permalink
I was very happy at the D both times I stayed, very comfortable
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22293
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
March 19th, 2017 at 5:28:27 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Unless they changed them recently the spa tower suites at GN have mirrored slats over the bed. It could be romantic, unless you are there with your mother.

Mirrors over the bed are romantic?

I'm still not sure why you would be sleeping in the same bed as your mother?
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 2155
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
March 19th, 2017 at 5:38:50 PM permalink
Do the mirrors say ,caution objects in mirror are larger than they appear.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 386
Joined: May 6, 2013
March 22nd, 2017 at 6:08:11 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Appreciate input on recent stays at any of the mentioned properties. Thanks in advance.

Further to my post of 2/15, I just found out some positive news TODAY 3/21 from my Customer Service person at the Cal:

"Good news, the California Hotel has a brand new exercise room that is open from 6 AM to 9 PM daily using your room key. It is located on the 13th floor and has 2 treadmills, an elliptical, a bike and free weights. In addition, there痴 a 24 Hour Fitness on Bonneville that is a quick walk from Main Street Station and located behind the valet parking area (there are prominent signs).
 
No special keys are needed according to the front desk person I just askedit痴 just open from 6AM-9PM .. there痴 even a few medicine balls and yoga mats with TV. There痴 a beautiful view of the hotel roof to look at while you池e exercising!(NOT). . . It would have been better to face the machines towards the pool). Pool will not be open until May but they池e fixing it up."

If anyone visits the Cal, please share your experience/observations about the above? Thanks!

Of course, dry-land swimming can't compete with the real McCoy, but in case of inclement weather, etc. It'll do. This is the YMCA pool I enjoy DAILY since this past Jan 2017.

Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
  • Jump to: