Poll

7 votes (33.33%)
7 votes (33.33%)
8 votes (38.09%)
7 votes (33.33%)

21 members have voted

Lovecomps
Lovecomps
  • Threads: 79
  • Posts: 427
Joined: Aug 12, 2018
April 24th, 2020 at 9:04:06 AM permalink
Sooner or later, this whole Covid-19 thing will pass and the country, including Vegas, will return to business as usual. Do you think that they'll go back to how they brought people in or will the deals be great and have the hosts tripping over each other to bring back players and the bonuses in their salary that they generate.

Conversely, do you think that they'll do nothing and figure that their customers are all degenates who'll all flock back on day one.
The best things in life are not free.
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 1172
Joined: Aug 16, 2010
April 24th, 2020 at 9:12:22 AM permalink
My mlife offers have doubled the freeplay and F+B than before the closures.

Locals will flock back to their home casinos across the country and resume degening like nothing happened. Vegas strip and downtown are screwed.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
April 24th, 2020 at 9:17:17 AM permalink
I imagine airlines will be offering dirt cheap fares so a wise marketeer will piggyback onto that to bring people back. In the 90s, junkets were huge and the time might be ripe for them to make a comeback.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14163
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
SanchoPanza
April 24th, 2020 at 10:41:48 AM permalink
I think most will do "soft" reopens. Just open the doors, no specials. Not until the machinery is working good and fine.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
April 24th, 2020 at 11:02:21 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I think most will do "soft" reopens. Just open the doors, no specials. Not until the machinery is working good and fine.


Very similar to what I've said before. If you just go by the basis 1/3 to 1/2 floor out of commission, they can't be generous at all. I imagine most locals will get ZERO FP just about and the casino will tell them they'll get it the first whole month the casino is open. So if they opened 5/15, no FP until June, maybe even July if the casino expects to be open by then. I'm kind of disappointed, even feeling a bit like I'm giving a casino an idea saying this. Up to them, people get really demotivated quite easily and habits have changed. I've heard the degenerates I keep in touch telling me how they have money now, because they're not spending it at the casino.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
April 24th, 2020 at 11:04:38 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I imagine airlines will be offering dirt cheap fares so a wise marketeer will piggyback onto that to bring people back. In the 90s, junkets were huge and the time might be ripe for them to make a comeback.

Not enough demand. Casinos won't want to lose control, they have control of the people through offers, don't need to pay for any flight for someone they already do not deem worth it or necessary to take their money. Reasoning is fundamental.
I am a robot.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
April 24th, 2020 at 1:44:05 PM permalink
Obviously, they're going to have to do something to get people back in the doors. I think they're going to be afraid to give out too much. It doesn't really help them financially in the short-term if they give out more than they're taking in.

I think their marketing will be concentrated on how safe their casino is and all the special things they're doing to protect their customers. Will they be giving out free face masks at the door for those who don't have them?

After some initial marketing, I assume the casinos will have a wait-and-see attitude. Some will Market aggressively at first, but For the most part, I don't think much is going to change, especially for places like Station Casinos and the other local chains here in Las Vegas. I just don't think it's going to be some big gold mine for Advantage Players. I sure hope I'm wrong.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
MonkeyWithpain
MonkeyWithpain
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 23
Joined: Apr 22, 2020
April 24th, 2020 at 3:42:04 PM permalink
They shouldn't be so aggressive. Everything that happens we know affects but I don't think it will affect the reopening of your casinos so much.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12050
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
April 24th, 2020 at 6:13:20 PM permalink
I am going to recommend to the GM's of our casinos that they should increase the offers to the players that have large losses last year.

I don't want to increase offers to high handle players unless they have big losses. Don't want to help the AP's with high handle and low TWIN.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
April 24th, 2020 at 6:51:23 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I assume the casinos will have a wait-and-see attitude. Some will Market aggressively at first, but For the most part, I don't think much is going to change, especially for places like Station Casinos and the other local chains here in Las Vegas.

Soft re-openings, no aggressively reaching out to customers, but be real nice to the ones who do show up (freeplay). Main emphasis will be on Do No Wrong, so there will be signs, masks, sanitizers galore, but not much in the way of outreach. Look for some temperature sensing devices but not full page ads touting them.
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 608
Joined: Oct 20, 2012
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
April 24th, 2020 at 7:01:23 PM permalink
I'm thinking that my local casinos will be trying their hardest to get customers back. Some of the PA casinos will be using the Gift giveaways as incentive for long time and even newer patrons to come in after re-opening.

They will certainly have loads of gifts from the past and could probably give them away during the week instead of only on Saturday. I'm guessing they'll sprinkle in free slot play for the higher tier players also.

I would think AC might implore this method due to the lack of sports betting allowed and an abundance of gifts from a month of no patrons.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
Thanked by
AxelWolf
April 24th, 2020 at 7:18:02 PM permalink
Quote: BedWetterBetter

I'm thinking that my local casinos will be trying their hardest to get customers back. Some of the PA casinos will be using the Gift giveaways as incentive for long time and even newer patrons to come in after re-opening.

Perhaps, but it is more likely they will avoid physical handling of items and avoid creating obvious choke points such as Free Gift Courtesy Desks.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
April 24th, 2020 at 11:29:35 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am going to recommend to the GM's of our casinos that they should increase the offers to the players that have large losses last year.

I don't want to increase offers to high handle players unless they have big losses. Don't want to help the AP's with high handle and low TWIN.

I'll gladly send you a few recommendations that you should recommend.
Just imagine the marketing they could do with their casino filled with legitimate pending jackpots and a news reporter there to cover it.

The casinos should definitely be going after those stimulus checks.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 6465
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
April 25th, 2020 at 9:47:42 AM permalink
They're not going to go back to "business as usual" on Day 1. If it gets to the point where they can do it this way, then it will be Business As Usual, because the clubs, shows, and restaurants (and, depending on when it happens, the pools) will be open as well with no social distancing restrictions. If the shows are limited to every other seat, then I see a lot of this happening:
"Let's go to Vegas - get a couple of tickets to Love."
"It says it's sold out for the next two months because of the limited number of seats."
"How about the restaurants?"
"The ones that could afford to reopen with the limited seating options are the really expensive ones, and those are also booked solid for the foreseeable future."
"You know, maybe now's not the time to go..."

Which brings up the question: one of the poll options mentioned comps, but what comps would be available?

If Strip casinos really wanted to bring in players while they wait for the rest of the hotel to reopen, they would do things like offering double-deck S17 3-2 $10. Yes, they'll get a lot of counters, but chances are they'll also get a lot of people who think they know how to count - and anybody who is too aggressive will find out that some parts of Vegas are still "business as usual."

Then again, there's one wild card in all of this - Da Raiduhz...er, The Raiders. "Come for the game, stay for the gaming!" Yes, I fully expect (a) there to be at least a partial season in 2020, and (b) the stadium to be ready for home games. (Raiders tickets - now there's a possible comp.)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14163
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
April 25th, 2020 at 9:54:16 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy



If Strip casinos really wanted to bring in players while they wait for the rest of the hotel to reopen, they would do things like offering double-deck S17 3-2 $10. Yes, they'll get a lot of counters, but chances are they'll also get a lot of people who think they know how to count - and anybody who is too aggressive will find out that some parts of Vegas are still "business as usual."



Yeah, no. 95% of players do not care about favorable rules. More care about how fancy the place looks. Trust me, better rules will not be part of the reopen.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
April 25th, 2020 at 9:59:38 AM permalink
Very few of the big shows can survive with half capacity. Some shows will be able to cut back on a few performers
but headliners like Cher, Elton, Carrot Top and others will either have to take major pay cuts or fold.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 6465
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
April 25th, 2020 at 1:28:21 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Yeah, no. 95% of players do not care about favorable rules. More care about how fancy the place looks. Trust me, better rules will not be part of the reopen.


What percentage of those who don't care about favorable rules are there primarily to gamble? Like I said, if the casinos open before the clubs, restaurants, and shows, then who's going to show up in the first place?
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
April 25th, 2020 at 3:33:15 PM permalink
People used to care, because they didn't trust casinos and the public with money to travel and spend had to be lured in thinking it wasn't so bad. People do care about odds, they just have to balance this against where they really make money. If they make more per hour and they value their time, they're not going to care much about studying to lose the least amount of money. It's the same as clipping coupons, people either use them or make a career of it, or don't at all, because they have too much use for their time.
I am a robot.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
  • Posts: 5181
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
April 25th, 2020 at 5:14:08 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Very few of the big shows can survive with half capacity. Some shows will be able to cut back on a few performers
but headliners like Cher, Elton, Carrot Top and others will either have to take major pay cuts or fold.



That will be interesting because this is a global problem. For a year or so, Cher and Elton may have nowhere to go to get their old rates. They must either do shows at lower rates or take time-off from touring or just retire.. They will be part of a much larger problem for all kinds of entertainment - sports, theme parks, movie theaters, live shows (theatrical productions, music productions, comedy and variety), casinos, etc. How can you create a lot of revenue if you can't have large crowds?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
April 25th, 2020 at 6:30:25 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

That will be interesting because this is a global problem. For a year or so, Cher and Elton may have nowhere to go to get their old rates. They must either do shows at lower rates or take time-off from touring or just retire.. They will be part of a much larger problem for all kinds of entertainment - sports, theme parks, movie theaters, live shows (theatrical productions, music productions, comedy and variety), casinos, etc. How can you create a lot of revenue if you can't have large crowds?



Most shows and entertainers carry business interruption insurance. A lot of these policies evidently don't cover these circumstances so the road ahead is unclear.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12050
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
April 25th, 2020 at 7:24:27 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Most shows and entertainers carry business interruption insurance. A lot of these policies evidently don't cover these circumstances so the road ahead is unclear.



I was surprised to read that Wimbledon had paid for pandemic insurance for the last 20 years or so. I believe they collected over $100 million this year on that policy for not having the tennis tournament..
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 1125
Joined: Dec 10, 2012
April 26th, 2020 at 4:04:55 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I was surprised to read that Wimbledon had paid for pandemic insurance for the last 20 years or so. I believe they collected over $100 million this year on that policy for not having the tennis tournament..



Wow. 141m payout for 2m/year for the last 17 years. Looks like they certainly won that bet. Though they still made a lot less than they were estimating.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/04/09/report-wimbledons-organizers-set-for-a-141-million-payout-after-taking-out-pandemic-insurance/#e367ff829f6f
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 6465
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
April 26th, 2020 at 7:13:05 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

That will be interesting because this is a global problem. For a year or so, Cher and Elton may have nowhere to go to get their old rates. They must either do shows at lower rates or take time-off from touring or just retire.. They will be part of a much larger problem for all kinds of entertainment - sports, theme parks, movie theaters, live shows (theatrical productions, music productions, comedy and variety), casinos, etc. How can you create a lot of revenue if you can't have large crowds?


Pay-per-view?

I wouldn't be surprised if big stars like them start doing WWII-style Relief/Tribute shows, with discounts for health workers. It would be good PR for when things get back to something approaching normal.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 6465
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
April 26th, 2020 at 4:23:59 PM permalink
Vital Vegas is reporting that MLife Noir and Platinum members recently received a survey that asked for their opinions on the following:
1. Free Parking
2. Freeplay / Credits
3. Non-guests not allowed on the premesis (!)
4. Medical staff on call
5. "Self-service food ordering" (whatever that means - "I'll have a Lobster Truffle Risotto to go, please")
6. Plexiglass dividers (e.g. at reception and at the bars)
7. Masks and gloves available for guests
8. Temperature checking of anyone entering the casino
9. "Enhanced sanitization of rooms" between guests
10. No Smoking, Period
11. A "private jeep" for the guests and their families to visit, e.g., Hoover Dam (at additional cost)
12. A fixed price for the entire stay (i.e. meals included)
13. Private "Players' Parties"
14. A private charter airline
megapixels
megapixels
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 97
Joined: Feb 5, 2011
April 26th, 2020 at 6:52:06 PM permalink
If they could put 3 machines of my choice in my room, and allow self comp from the mini bar, I'd consider returning to Vegas.
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 1125
Joined: Dec 10, 2012
April 26th, 2020 at 8:01:09 PM permalink
Free parking is something they're asking their top tier members about? Don't tell me that they're so desperate to squeeze people that their aiming for an extra 25$/day off their biggest players...

Cheap/free food and drinks are always good with me though... it was like 4$USD for a big bowl of beef noodle soup and the free self service beverage machine was really impressive at the Marina Bay Sands

And the drink robot is kind of funny:
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
April 26th, 2020 at 10:13:19 PM permalink
Table games glass partition corona guards

https://www.facebook.com/dat.giang/posts/3267408303279073
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11153
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
April 27th, 2020 at 5:44:19 AM permalink
Quote: Venthus

Free parking is something they're asking their top tier members about? Don't tell me that they're so desperate to squeeze people that their aiming for an extra 25$/day off their biggest players...

Cheap/free food and drinks are always good with me though... it was like 4$USD for a big bowl of beef noodle soup and the free self service beverage machine was really impressive at the Marina Bay Sands

And the drink robot is kind of funny:



The guy in the pink shirt next to the robot looks like me! I'm serious!
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
April 27th, 2020 at 6:42:51 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: Venthus

Free parking is something they're asking their top tier members about? Don't tell me that they're so desperate to squeeze people that their aiming for an extra 25$/day off their biggest players...

Cheap/free food and drinks are always good with me though... it was like 4$USD for a big bowl of beef noodle soup and the free self service beverage machine was really impressive at the Marina Bay Sands

And the drink robot is kind of funny:



The guy in the pink shirt next to the robot looks like me! I'm serious!

I take it you have a closet full of pink shirts. 😉
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
  • Jump to: