October 2nd, 2026 at 7:55:51 AM
permalink
Two inventors at G2E talked about whether side bets should pay dealers too - both inventors were casino dealers but had very different opinions on the same topic.
One said that he wanted dealers to like and promote his game, and as a dealer felt that he should add dealer payouts to all side bets going forward.
The other inventor said that it's just pandering and it does not particularly matter if dealers like a game. After all, I have heard that many dealers dislike or have trouble with Free Bet yet it rose to become the most popular blackjack variant ever.
Personally, from a "player" perspective, I would probably never play a side bet that pays out dealers. The RTP on side bets already low enough, and it just shows that more RTP is being taken from me to give to the casino employees.
What do you think?
One said that he wanted dealers to like and promote his game, and as a dealer felt that he should add dealer payouts to all side bets going forward.
The other inventor said that it's just pandering and it does not particularly matter if dealers like a game. After all, I have heard that many dealers dislike or have trouble with Free Bet yet it rose to become the most popular blackjack variant ever.
Personally, from a "player" perspective, I would probably never play a side bet that pays out dealers. The RTP on side bets already low enough, and it just shows that more RTP is being taken from me to give to the casino employees.
What do you think?
October 2nd, 2026 at 8:06:42 AM
permalink
I'd usually tip $1 for every $500 I'm up after color-up, but then that wouldn't be a tip because it wasn't prompt.
I ran across a video yesterday from Vegas Aces (a Wizard of Odds association), and it mentions tiers of dealer wages and tips at different tiers of casinos but most of the data is from last decade, a decade ago. No mention of fast food inflation this decade. But it puts many of the jobs at minimum wages below the Federal floor of $7.25/hr with dealers getting tips to make up the difference. At lower & mid-tier casinos, this is not a living wage, it's a live in your parent's basement wage. The tips are lemonade stand level at the lower tier casinos. "It's the management, stupid!" is all I can say. From what I can see, a living wage in Vegas is at least $100K/yr for a single person now.
How Much Do Casino Dealers Make? Salary & Tips Explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfGPL9V2Mq4
I ran across a video yesterday from Vegas Aces (a Wizard of Odds association), and it mentions tiers of dealer wages and tips at different tiers of casinos but most of the data is from last decade, a decade ago. No mention of fast food inflation this decade. But it puts many of the jobs at minimum wages below the Federal floor of $7.25/hr with dealers getting tips to make up the difference. At lower & mid-tier casinos, this is not a living wage, it's a live in your parent's basement wage. The tips are lemonade stand level at the lower tier casinos. "It's the management, stupid!" is all I can say. From what I can see, a living wage in Vegas is at least $100K/yr for a single person now.
How Much Do Casino Dealers Make? Salary & Tips Explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfGPL9V2Mq4
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Oct 2, 2026
October 2nd, 2026 at 8:10:43 AM
permalink
Do you mean automatically pay out the dealer something on winning side bets?
At Baccarat, the player is free to place a bet "on the side" (on the side of his bet) for the dealer wherever he wants, including on high payout side bets (paying up to 100X or 200X), I believe within limits of max 10% of the player's bet (for a while when Peter Morton owned the Hard Rock, max bets for dealers on side bets such as the tie bet were limited to $25. no matter what the player was betting). Is this different on other table games?
At Baccarat, the player is free to place a bet "on the side" (on the side of his bet) for the dealer wherever he wants, including on high payout side bets (paying up to 100X or 200X), I believe within limits of max 10% of the player's bet (for a while when Peter Morton owned the Hard Rock, max bets for dealers on side bets such as the tie bet were limited to $25. no matter what the player was betting). Is this different on other table games?
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
October 2nd, 2026 at 8:24:54 AM
permalink
I'm talking about side bets bets where it's like
Royal Flush 1000:1. $100 for dealer
Straight Flush 300:1. $25 for dealer
Quads 50:1. $5 for dealer
Maybe it's called "Dealer Envy" sometimes I don't remember.
Royal Flush 1000:1. $100 for dealer
Straight Flush 300:1. $25 for dealer
Quads 50:1. $5 for dealer
Maybe it's called "Dealer Envy" sometimes I don't remember.
October 2nd, 2026 at 9:13:46 AM
permalink
Quote: harrisI'm talking about side bets bets where it's like
Royal Flush 1000:1. $100 for dealer
Straight Flush 300:1. $25 for dealer
Quads 50:1. $5 for dealer
Maybe it's called "Dealer Envy" sometimes I don't remember.
link to original post
I usually hear it called Dealer Envy.
Nobody who really cares about RTP is playing the side bet anyway, and the player and the dealer might both feel better if the dealer gets a piece of a premium hand.
If you're already building an envy payout into the sidebet, I'd be sure to include it for other players as well. If I'm playing $1 on the side (fat chance!) and YOU make a Royal, it would be nice to get a few bucks on my side bet. The player envy component is more likely than the dealer envy to promote action, in my opinion.
(I could be wrong.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
October 2nd, 2026 at 9:28:11 AM
permalink
Quote: harrisI'm talking about side bets bets where it's like
Royal Flush 1000:1. $100 for dealer
Straight Flush 300:1. $25 for dealer
Quads 50:1. $5 for dealer
Maybe it's called "Dealer Envy" sometimes I don't remember.
link to original post
Dollar amounts aside, are your proposing that the dealer get something automatically upon a player win? That is never going to happen.
The player has to lay a "side" bet alongside his bet for that to happen. Make an affirmative action.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
October 2nd, 2026 at 9:39:47 AM
permalink
There is one game I saw that has a Dealer Envy payout but I forgot what it was, maybe a game where the Dealer spot goes around the table and players take turns being the dealer, and paying out!

