3 votes (60%)
2 votes (40%)

5 members have voted

UKMark
UKMark
  • Threads: 7
June 21st, 2018 at 2:33:55 PM permalink
Quick poll to see what preferences people have:

A high card winning hand is seen twice as often as a 3oak hand so the player perception is that they are winning.

What are your thoughts and choices?
Success comes in cans, not cant's
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
Thanked by
UKMark
June 22nd, 2018 at 2:16:31 AM permalink
fyi - also see https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gaming-business/game-inventors/31017-new-multi-deck-poker-game/
Think 5-card poker hand multi deck with Ante 2xRaise mechanism and a bonus on the Raise for good (winning) hands. (The Raise part is only paid on winning pairs or higher.)
The dealer always qualifies and Ante pays on any win; the question is
(a) Winning hands of No Pair pays Ante 1 to 1 and Trips pays 1 to 1.
(b) Winning hands of No Pair pays Ante nothing and Trips pays 2 to 1.
I guess the strategy changes with (b) so you'd fold more often - so personally I'd choose (a).
UKMark
UKMark
  • Threads: 7
June 22nd, 2018 at 5:10:06 AM permalink
Charliepatrick, Thanks for putting a link to the main post, I should've thought of that :-)
Success comes in cans, not cant's
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
UKMark
June 22nd, 2018 at 9:24:46 AM permalink
An excellent question. You are unusually expert for a game designer/owner.

I voted for having the High Card hand win the Play Bet 1:1.

I think a goal of your game needs to be for a smart player to be able to pick up a hand and have a feel whether it is a "good hand" or a "bad hand."

Your current structure places less importance on whether the player has high cards -partly because winning with a high card hand is not rewarded on the Play bet. Conversely, your current payout structure places importance on whether the player's 3-card hand is a "2-gap straight draw" or a "1-gap straight draw" because the Straight Payout is 3:1. I actually think that lowering the payout on the Straight winner to 2:1 and paying off the High Card winner might improve the playability of your game.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
  • Jump to: