4 votes (13.33%)
3 votes (10%)
4 votes (13.33%)

30 members have voted

Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
March 8th, 2014 at 3:53:53 PM permalink
I have given up on all exotic table games. The one I am working on now is a simple combination of Basic Blackjack, Penny Slots, and Video poker. Am hoping to show to Roger later this month, but expect Elliot Frome will be reviewing it instead. Have no idea what Elliot did to make Roger so mad !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
March 8th, 2014 at 4:22:45 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

OK, so a player is going to have action on their Play bets on 5 out of 5.7 hands.....I think that is good and much better than the 3 out of 4.4 hands in Caribbean Stud. The big issue with CP was it always seemed that when you got a good hand, the dealer DNQ'd and after risking 3 units you got paid 1.

I don't think I like the Dare Devil bet for a several easons:

1) No strategy games tend not to be exciting for players that would be drawn to a poker based table game. I don't think it would get much play after the novelty wore off.

2) It adds complication to the dealing procedure because you are really playing two games together and the players may go back and forth between which bet to make......I think that is a dealer's nightmare, but actual dealers can chime in here.

3) Finally, and most importantly, I don't think the Dare Devil bet offers the players much. The odds payouts are certainly better, but with the Five Card Raise 2X option, I have twice as much on my play bet than is on the Dare Devil bet. I guess I don't see the any reason to play the Dare Devil bet unless you are planning on getting one pair and having it hold up against a 7 card dealer hand. That doesn't seem like a great opportunity to me.

The game doesn't need the Dare Devil component and I query what could be done with the additional house edge by eliminating it to strengthen the main game of Ante, Five Cards, 1X or 2X with the choice of no cards or 2 more drawn cards. That game all by itself with a bonus bet is a winner.

+1

Excellent feedback. Michael has nailed my thoughts exactly and managed to condense it all eloquently.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 8th, 2014 at 4:24:39 PM permalink
Bareback Stud - Either you play your bare 5 or you back up your hand with a draw. Also sexual connotations of going condom-less.

Two Way Street - Emphasizes there's a choice with a common phrase, and uses the word "street" which is poker slang.

Twice as Nice - Rhymes, common phrase, emphasizes the choice. Kind of too feminine.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
allinriverking
allinriverking
  • Threads: 29
March 8th, 2014 at 6:24:08 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

I'm really wracking my brains on the name issue, mostly because I'm now convinced the gameplay is solid without the Daredevil/no-strategy bet and now it's time to do some marketing materials.

Dare - to have the courage to contend against, venture, or try.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
March 8th, 2014 at 6:33:01 PM permalink
I feel like it isn't really a Dare Devil play. You are sitting there with Two Aces in your five card hand and think you don't need two more cards to beat a dealer 7 card hand....doesn't seem very "daring". A choice, yes......daring, not really.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 8th, 2014 at 9:19:08 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

I feel like it isn't really a Dare Devil play. You are sitting there with Two Aces in your five card hand and think you don't need two more cards to beat a dealer 7 card hand....doesn't seem very "daring". A choice, yes......daring, not really.

Yes, I agree -- "Dare Devil" really came from the idea of playing a 5-card hand against the larger 7-card hand in the dark. Of course, abstractly that's like saying playing a slot game is being a dare devil too. The odds are always against you; it's just a matter of degree.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 8th, 2014 at 9:30:01 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I have given up on all exotic table games. The one I am working on now is a simple combination of Basic Blackjack, Penny Slots, and Video poker.

I'm not sure what combination you have in mind, but did you know that the earliest mechanical slot games were based on poker? Games like this one were popular over 115 years ago:

"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
March 9th, 2014 at 9:09:31 AM permalink
I keep coming back to the theme that you have a five card hand that you feel can beat the majority of dealer 7 card hands despite being an underdog due to the card differential.

So as mentioned above, David vs. Goliath and "Slingshot Stud"......also note that in the story, David choose five smooth stones from the river to bring to the battle with Goliath....you are challenging the dealer with five cards in your hand.

Another idea: "Silver Bullet Stud"......your five card hand will beat any dealer 7 card hand.....you have a silver bullet type hand.

From a descriptive name standpoint, something like "Player's Choice Stud" as the player gets to choose if they are going to play a 5 Card or 7 Card Stud hand.
  • Jump to: