DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 31st, 2013 at 10:05:20 AM permalink
Can anyone think of a table game where a player can choose to buy a rule variation before the hand? I'm really not even sure if it would be allowed in nevada, but could present some opportunities for some new interesting games.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 31st, 2013 at 10:17:03 AM permalink
Fortune Pai Gow. A $5 minimum bet activates the Envy rule but you can make the bet for less. You can also effectively do this by moving from a lower-limit BJ table to a higher-limit one with better rules. Roulette is the same way: at the MGM they have both double-zero and single-zero tables but only single at the $25 limit or higher.

And buy-a-pay paytables in slot games have been around forever. Look at Bally's Blazing 7s.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 31st, 2013 at 11:46:02 AM permalink
From my understanding that is more of a side bet that gets resolved based upon the cards dealt.

I am thinking more along the line that a player can choose to buy an option that they may or may not use. A very simplistic example would be paying a fee in blackjack before the hand and if you get a pair of aces you can re-split them if you receive additional aces. It isn't a bet, really you are just buying a rule variation that you may or may not actually use that hand. Another example might be buying an option to double down after your third card. Personally, I don't think either of those two would make a good game, but I don't want to disclose my idea quite yet.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
January 31st, 2013 at 2:15:17 PM permalink
Without divulging too much, I discussed this with Jon Muskin a few months ago. I even gave it a name but haven't quite found the right mix of options yet.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 31st, 2013 at 2:33:51 PM permalink
Doesn't one of those second-tier carny poker games allow a second ante bet in exchange for receiving a 6th card or a discard/draw or something?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 31st, 2013 at 3:22:14 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Doesn't one of those second-tier carny poker games allow a second ante bet in exchange for receiving a 6th card or a discard/draw or something?

Yes, lunar poker does this, but you don't pay for this option until you see your initial cards.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
January 31st, 2013 at 5:02:44 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Rabbit Hunter also does this as I recall
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 31st, 2013 at 7:14:18 PM permalink
Roger Snow used a Rabbit Hunter tee shirt as a rag to wash his car recently. Or so I was told in confidence !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Spinner14
Spinner14
  • Threads: 1
February 7th, 2013 at 10:17:28 AM permalink
That was a quip in a story on vegasinc.com, don't get so excited Buzzard.
Everyone's an expert.
  • Jump to: